Ready to throw in the towel. Need a moan.

Angelkitty

Hi all.

Sorry but I need a moan and I'm getting fed up.

I have been doing SW for a year and within 9 months I had lost 4 stone. Then it took me 3 months to lose another stone. Which was great.

I still have another 3 stone to lose and for the last 6 weeks I have either stayed the same or as in the last 2 weeks I gained weight. 2.5lbs so far.

I am keeping a diary. Counting my syns and measuring and weighing my HExA and B's. I started on EE and in Feb when the losses stopped I added a few green days a week and occasionally red days.

I am getting so fed up. I'm ready to throw in the towel. Nothing I do seems to work anymore. I am spending a fortune on foods, thinking that I was maybe eating too much of the same things.

I can honestly say that this is the first time in my life when I don't want food nor do I enjoy it.

Sorry to go on and on and on guys. I needed a moan. I am desperate to lose the next 3 stone and get my life back on track. If you have any ideas, recipes or advice for me I will welcome anything.

Thanks xx

Hugs hun, do you go to class? Could you speak to your leader about it. Have you tried the basics like mixing up your days, checking you are having 1/3 superfree with ee, upping speed foods? I hope it works out for you x x

Thanks Jayde. I had to stop going to group when I was made redundant in April. I think I will look up speed foods and try again.

Hey xx Im finding my last stone a bleeder to shift but I do no whats stopping me lol. Too many naughty days in past few weeks have stopped me losing weight. But like you in past I have been 100% good and maintained which really got me down.
I tried to increase my exercise even if it was walk up stairs instead of taking lift or getting off 2 bus stops earlier on a long journey. I found and it sounds daft but have a takeaway like curry (always worked with me) within your syn values and it seemed to kick my weight loss back into action for some reason lol. Plus dont be downheartened by maintaining or even gaining as I started measuring myself as advised by my group leader every month and I found that even though I wasn't losing pounds I was losing inches instead :)
Please dont throw in towel as you have done great so far and if you like add me has a friend on here and you can message me if you feel down :)
Wendy

do you keep a food diary on here? might be worth a try, you may be making a small mistake or being complacent on something unobvious to you but others might be able to help out, best of luck

Hi, I don't know if this will help but it's always worth a try, My daughters and I all go to slimming world, I fortunately haven't stopped losing weight even if it's only been 0.5lbs, but my eldest daughter did, she started at 17st 2lbs and got down to 14st 3lbs and then for 2 weeks lost just 1lb each week, the next 2 weeks she put those same 2lbs back on and then for the next 8 weeks she STS, and like you was thinking of throwing in the towel.
But then she decided to try a few different things , firstly over the weekend and she only did it at the weekend, she upped her water intake from 6 glasses a day to 8-10, and then she changed her fitness regime, from doing a lot of power walking she started to do weights and kick boxing, the week after when she weighed in she lost 8lbs , that was 3 weeks ago, the week after she lost 3 lbs and last week lost 2 , you may not be able to do the actual exercise she does, but the point is to not only shake up your food intake but maybe you exercise regime too...worth a try maybe? ...gl anyway xx

Don't give in!
we all have a dip in our weight loss, mine was two weeks ago so I had a week of soups as one meal and got the bike out and started to use it again, result last week 4 Lbs! As everyone else has said, try a change, it should work.
Keep your chin up.............
Pete

Hi Angelkitty,

I feel for you as I'm in exactly the same position. I'm sticking to plan, counting everything, weighing everything, keeping a full diary etc etc and have stayed the same for the last 4 weeks and lost an average of less than half a pound a week for at least the 6 weeks before that.

Like you I also have 3 stone to lose so can't use the excuse of being very close to target!

I don't understand why it's suddenly stopped working and I feel a bit silly about it really as I think people make assumptions that you're 'cheating' or not following the plan properly if you're not losing. Everyone always says - stick with the plan, it works! Obviously it does work, but does it always work forever?? I'm not sure ...

Things I'm doing to try and fix things are being more calorie aware and mixing up menus a bit. I've also checked that I'm drinking enough water. So far nothing has made any difference. I think it might help to do an exercise dvd a few times a week so even though I'm a very reluctant exerciser I do need to give it a go.

I'm afraid I don't have a solution but you are definitely not alone. If you find something that works to get the losses going again please let me know! Good luck x

I think it's really a case of mixing up your days during the week. I found that by adding 2 or 3 green days each week my weight loss increased.

I now have the opposite problem - I am at target and still keep losing even with having extra HEA and HEBs (a total of at least 5 or 6 day) plus extra syns (usually in the form on wine!).

Denise

I would suggest that it's either of two things:

First, could be that your metabolism has got too used to being on a diet and needs a kick-start. In which case, a couple of off-plan meals might do the trick. Could be that your body needs to see a bit of fat coming in, before it'll allow you to shed any more of your own!

Or second, and probably more likely, to be honest, your calories in vs calories out have balanced, causing you to pretty much maintain. So you either need to exercise a bit more, eat a bit less, or a combination of both. I know that we don't need to weigh much of our food in the SW plan, but I'd suggest taking a hard look at your food diary and seeing if it all looks fine - our new, slimmer bodies need fewer calories, so we can't necessarily 'get away' with eating 'free' snacks rather than 'superfree' snacks any more, or adding a side salad to make a plate of steak and chips 1/3 superfree, rather than putting the salad on the plate and cutting down on the amount of chips.

I don't mean the above to sound at all judgemental, by the way - it's just that my own losses slowed right down, and I have gloomily come to the conclusion that I need to do this myself! (I don't really snack much, but I have been slacking on the superfree a bit recently! And I know from experience that when I exercise more I lose more - so I need to stop being quite so lazy!)

Thanks everyone! I will try all of your ideas and suggestions. Today I made a huge batch of Super Free Soup, so I'm going to try that too. I might try and use a diary on here again, so hopefully someone will pull me up on any mistakes. Thanks again all!! xxxx

What about changing your HeBs and HeAs?

I got stuck in a rut of only having bread or Hi-Fi bars for my B. And my losses went down by 2lb a week. On changing them and adding cereals and ryvita once or twice a week, I started losing a bit more.

You could also try drinking a glass of water 15 minutes before each meal and see if that helps. Good luck - you can do it!

who_la_hoop said:
Or second, and probably more likely, to be honest, your calories in vs calories out have balanced, causing you to pretty much maintain. So you either need to exercise a bit more, eat a bit less, or a combination of both. I know that we don't need to weigh much of our food in the SW plan, but I'd suggest taking a hard look at your food diary and seeing if it all looks fine - our new, slimmer bodies need fewer calories, so we can't necessarily 'get away' with eating 'free' snacks rather than 'superfree' snacks any more, or adding a side salad to make a plate of steak and chips 1/3 superfree, rather than putting the salad on the plate and cutting down on the amount of chips.

Our leader suggests something similar. She has what she calls "challenges" to do for a week when you dont see the results you would like. One is portion sizes, and she suggests rather than making the same amount you normally would, make half and see if it keeps you full,which it usually does. There is a danger with free food over time we get used to making and eating the same quantities when our bodies dont need as much as we lose the weight. We also get used to eating certain things at a certain time, like a snack mid morning or a yoghurt after meals when we dont actually get hungry then any more and we dont need them. I did something similar, only eating when really hungry and had a big loss. I think other ones are superfree, to always make this your first choice when eating, and scan bran (having this as a heb everyday for a week).

The other usual things she throws out are syns - if you usually have the whole 15 maybe look at gradually reducing that to 10 a day (my c says do it over a couple of weeks) and speed foods. Maybe also look at success express which is similar to ee but with two thirds superfree. There should be threads on here explaining it.

Hey Sunshine. Don't give up and ruin all your hard work. Sometimes everyone plateaus. What exercise are you doing? Maybe that could also do with a shaje up. Remember that muscle burns more calories, so join a body conditioining class, or put those tins of baked beans to other uses. They make good weights!!

Hi, you can't give up now, take a deep breath and look at how far you have come already. You are an inspiration to new starters and rejoiners like myself, who are beginning the journey, as I look at how much you have lost and think, WOW! I hope that is me soon! Ok, so, you are struggling right now, but it just means you are human. Maybe it's worth drawing a line under what you have done so far and starting again afresh, by re-reading your books, a friend of mine struggled at one point of her journey, and so she mixed her day up, by eating breakfast at lunch, lunch at dinner and dinner at breakfast! Strange I know, but it started working again. Hope this helps and good luck!!! xx

Our stats are pretty close and i know how you feel - i have been slowing chipping away for a lot longer than you - it can get you down sometimes.

Last week i had a gain - which although i had a night out and a few treats after my weigh in, i had been good. However i didnt go to the gym as much as i usually do - and i think it really didnt help my weight loss.

I have got back to the gym this week and have been 100% since Friday (bit of a sympathy scoff on Thursday evening) and I am hoping to lose again this week.

Lets face it, we didnt gain 8 stone overnight did we? SO it WILL take a while to shift it - but you have done so well already - we both have.

The last bit is always going to be harder - fingers crossed that exercise and perhaps swapping plans a little will help us.

Good luck xxx

Thanks again everyone. Your kind words and ideas are very encouraging! I am going to put the last 3 days of my food diary on here tonight so that people might see if there are any problems with it. Thanks again xx

Angelkitty said:
Thanks again everyone. Your kind words and ideas are very encouraging! I am going to put the last 3 days of my food diary on here tonight so that people might see if there are any problems with it. Thanks again xx

Good luck and just keep swimming!!!

I think everyone will agree that we are all here to help if we can :)

Hi all a rather long and boring weight loss story from me:

I am back now at slimming world having spent the last 8 years putting on most of what I the 7 stone I lost with slimming world.

9 years ago I weighed 20 stone at my first weigh-in, I found it tough walking in as there was at lot of what I would have called slim peolpe that I thought didn't need to be there (or so I thought), but it didn't take me long to realise that all these slim peolpe were there because they were slimming world members and some has lost amazing amounts of weight - this inspired me

In the first week I lost 8 lbs and every week after that I dropped anywhere between 2 and 5 lbs. I found the plan super easy and enjpyed every minute of it not understanding why some struggled....... then I hit exactly the same problem after 4 stone. For 3 months I would lose 0.5 then the following week put on a pound and I wobbled around the 16 stone mark for seemed an lifetime.

Group members came to my rescue, they suggested meal ideas recipies (some were gross - you have to try a few to find some good ones!) and I sat in on a new members talk, taking it all in from scratch, this did me the world of good. I also started swimming as I found I was just to heavy for any other form of excersize.

After 3 months the weight started to fall again, not as quickly as the start, but I kept plugging away at 0.5 - 2lbs per week. Eventually I got there and trust me there is no better feeling! I appeared in womans own and the local newspaper and got paid for the features!

I unfortunatly have now gained a lot of this weight over some years, but I know I can do it again, I've done it once!

Long storey short (sorry if your now going zzzzzzzzz!) hang in there! You can do it! You have done so well to get as far as you have, so please please don't give up now... you could be getting paid to do a two page spread in womans own too!

best of luck x x x x

Back