Really struggling

I have started to really struggle with SW lately. Mainly its caused by the fact that whilst you're told you can eat what you want, in reality I want to eat mash with my sausages or have more than 28g of mince with my spag bol!

I always knew this was going to be hard for me because I *honestly* didn't eat that unhealthily before joining. My weight was put on through taking IVF medication and immune drugs over the last 3 years.

The only things I do differently on SW is no squash (because I can't stand diet squash), no fruit juice, no more white bread and no more mixing carbs and protein.

I don't eat any more or less fruit and veg because we always ate loads before anyway.

I'm really resenting the fact that SW is pushed as being healthy but I don't see that having say one or two roast potatoes with your roast chicken once a week or fortnight is that unhealthy anyway. It's like they treat carbs as being as unhealthy as sugar and it's starting to annoy me.

I don't like the way on original days peas, sweetcorn and parsnips are seen as unhealthy when they're veg! It's all making me very resentful.

I resent having to eat Muller light yogs for example as a snack because they have aspartme in them which is the worst sweetner ever. Its banned in the US and most other countries because its been found to cause cancer, but when I've run out of fruit in the evenings or syns its really the only sweet thing that's free.

My cupboards look so much more unhealthy now than they did before SW! It's crazy! Diet foods (diet coke, diet yogs) etc aren't good for you. Before SW nothing in the house was unnatural, we didn't eat anything with chemicals in, but now have to, to keep myself sane.

I'd never even cooked chips in the house until SW! We just didn't eat junk food ever. My son is 10 and never eaten chicken nuggets in his life. All our meals were cooked from scratch and healthy.

I'm thinking seriously about switching to another slimming club/plan because I can't see how this is all going to work out for me.

I put 2lbs on last week yet stuck to the plan rigidly as I always do, even my consultant couldn't believe it and she looked at my diet sheet because I was so upset.

I never ate huge portions anyway, so can only attribute the weight loss so far to not eating toast every night and not drinking fruit juice.

Sorry for ranting on but I just don't know what to do. I want to eat main meals how I used to because I don't think/can't believe that having more than 28g of mince (made with organic extra lean mince, tin toms, herbs & mushrooms) with your spag bol is unhealthy!

Feistyblue,

I can see what you are saying, I don't think SW say the food is "unhealthy" though. They have devised a plan where you can lose weight, I don't know the ins and outs but it revolves around not mixing carbs and proten. Parsnips and sweetcorn are not unhealthy, but they are high in sugar / carbs therefore are not part of the plan on a red day.

Every person is different and different diets work for different people. My housemate started slimming world, but couldn't hack the idea of meat with no potaotes etc. She has therefore gone to WW and loves it. Perhaps this may be better for you too?

I can see why you are frustrated, but look at your weight loss, it's fantastic!! Don't be disheartened by the 2lb gain, it may be excess fluid or you body readjusting itself a little. Have a look at WW and SW (or others) and see which you prefer.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Lou xxx

sorry to hear of your frustration feisty blue, i do know what you mean about the sweeteners in things but you don't have to eat mullerlight. you could have very low fat yoghurt with some fruit.

diet cokes may be replace with soda water with lemon or lime squeezed in.

you need to find a balance that it right for you and if you don't like something avoid it, i realise that this is cutting your options down and as as Louise suggests it may be worth thinking about WW.

There is definately something in the combing meat and carbs as Gillian McKeith talks about this as well - and in my experience it is the only way I loose weight!

good luck, do keep us up to date. don't get too disheartened by the 2lbs, all bodys change during the month and i'm sure if you stick with it it'll come off. we need to get through the trying times in order to achieve our ultimate goals - whether you stay with SW or not don't give up - you can do this!!!

Kat x

Not every diet is going to work for everyone. I like SW because it has very little restrictions and fits in perfectly with my lifestyle. If you aren't happy with the plan then look into other diets that maybe better for you. Tesco diets and Sun diets have both been mentioned on here before. Also WW may be more up your street. Good luck with whatever you decide to do x

Thanks everyone, the support means a lot.

I guess I'm also thinking to the long term, ie maintaining and I'm pretty sure that SW won't work for me then, because I'll want to eat normal healthy meals and not have to keep carbs and protein separate.

I'm going to see what happens at WI this week, then I'm going to buy the WW and RC magazines and try and make some sort of decision about whether to carry on with SW or not.

Do you mind if i answer this on later...im just to pop out.
BRB Ruthy xxx

Any plan you choose to follow has to be one you can stick to long term otherwise there is no point. If you think that in time you will be unhappy on SW then it would probably be best to find one you are happy with and still will be when the weight has gone. Good luck x

Hi ,
Sorry to hear you are struggling. I was just wondering if you had thought of using quorn - you could do green days and have as much mash and quorn sausages as you want and again, with a spag bol you can have as much quorn mince and past as you like. I don't know if that helps you but just an idea.

Hi ,
Sorry to hear you are struggling. I was just wondering if you had thought of using quorn - you could do green days and have as much mash and quorn sausages as you want and again, with a spag bol you can have as much quorn mince and past as you like. I don't know if that helps you but just an idea.

I've tried most of the quorn stuff and tbh just don't like it at all. I prefer to eat real food not processed but thank you for taking the time to make a suggestion :)

Agree with Taz, any plan you choose has to be one that you're happy with.

It sounds like SW isnt the plan for you as there are too many mental barriers with the food that you want/like to eat and what we have on our plan.

Just a thought.........if you are serious about losing weight/eating healthy then there is no magic, easy answer. Sacrifices have to be made in some form or another. Changes to lifestyles have to be made as its bad habits that mostly got us overweight/unhealthy in the first place.

I know many people who "claim" to eat healthy but arent actually aware of what and how much they eat and by understanding about food and how it affects us is part of the way forward to being healthy again.

I really hope you're sucessful in finding an eating plan that suits you and that you're happy with.

RIGHT I WONT BEAT AROUND THE BUSH,
I dont think SW is for you hun,
You clearly like your meat with yer mash.....to be honest i do miss it myself lol! AND IM NOT OVERLY KEEN ON QUORN TOO!
I do honestly agree with you and think that either R.C OR WW is for you.

I wish you all the luck in the world, im sure you will find a plan that suits you.
If your not happy with it from the get go- i dont think you should beat yourself up about it.
Every one is different at the end of the day. Ive got every faith in you that you will suceed on the right plan FOR YOU.

Please please let us know how you are getting as we will all be very interested.

Chin up !

Ruthy xxxx

RIGHT I WONT BEAT AROUND THE BUSH,
I dont think SW is for you hun,
You clearly like your meat with yer mash.....to be honest i do miss it myself lol! AND IM NOT OVERLY KEEN ON QUORN TOO!
I do honestly agree with you and think that either R.C OR WW is for you.

I wish you all the luck in the world, im sure you will find a plan that suits you.
If your not happy with it from the get go- i dont think you should beat yourself up about it.
Every one is different at the end of the day. Ive got every faith in you that you will suceed on the right plan FOR YOU.

Please please let us know how you are getting as we will all be very interested.

Chin up !

Ruthy xxxx

Thanks Ruthy.

I'm going to give it another week I think and maybe experiment with having mash as a syn with say a pork chop or chicken breast. Likewise have a little more mince with my spag bol as a syn on a green day.

I'm going to try and alternate red/green days and see what kind of loss I get from that. I seem to bloat up loads on all red or all green days so need to find a balance somewhere.

Once I've tried this for a week and had another WI next Thursday I will see how I feel.

Can I just add that if you were to have a red day for instance and had a pork chop (any size as unlimited) you can then have 227g of potato as a HEB...or 454g of potato as 2 x HE B.
I find that is more than enough and I'm sure as you was eating healthily beforehand, you will also agree that that is a standard healthy sized portion.
A few years ago there were alot of tinned and ready made meals that were low synned or free but thats all changed. SW encourage more healthy foods now and cooking from scratch. I do alot of my cooking from scratch and fill up on veg....nothing unhealthy about that!!
I think as the others have suggested, maybe its not for you, it can take a lot of juggling about to benefit fully from it and some never get their head around the plan!!

Good Luck in whatever you decide!

Sam
xxx

Hiya Feistyblue, sorry you are feeling so down with sw at the moment, but it's good you are going to give it some time before just throwing the towel in. I wondered if having a good look at success express might be of help to you? all the best in whatever you decide to do though. Jax

Can I just add that if you were to have a red day for instance and had a pork chop (any size as unlimited) you can then have 227g of potato as a HEB...or 454g of potato as 2 x HE B.

The one type of veg I can't stand is potatoe with its skin on, hence having it as HEB isn't an option for me. I tried that the other week and was nearly sick because I really do hate potatoe skin so much! :D

Hiya Feistyblue, sorry you are feeling so down with sw at the moment, but it's good you are going to give it some time before just throwing the towel in. I wondered if having a good look at success express might be of help to you? all the best in whatever you decide to do though. Jax

Thanks Jax. I think Success Express would also be worth looking at, that's a great idea, thank you. I will try that as well.

You don't have to keep the skin on the potatoes. You can skin and boil them, mash them, do what you want with them!

Fair play for sticking at it, i admire your stance with the diet. MOst people would give up!

Perhaps as lentil2 added, have your pots as 2Healthy extras.

Tweak around with it and i truly hope it works for you.

Ruthy xxx

Back