Recommend Good movies

Maximus

Gold Member
Following hot on the heels of the good book thread, can anyone recommend any good movies?

I like a good movie - all sorts of genres, but having recently re-joined Lovefilm, I need to get a collection built up.

They don't have to be the most recent movies - they can be older movies we may have missed (Fargo is a good example - only discovered that one a year ago).

I like a good comedy (Airplane, Dumb and Dumber etc.)

Reservoir Dogs, Usual Suspects, Silence of the Lambs etc. make good thrillers.

Recommend away!;)

I don't know whether you like Pirates of the Caribbean, but I definitely recommend the fourth one in the series - by far the best of the four :) (doesn't come out on DVD until the 12th though :)) Thor was also very good, but again, isn't out yet.

I enjoyed Red Riding Hood when I went to see that. The Blindside is another good film with Sandra Bullock. 300 was also pretty good in a Gladiator sort of way! The latest Robin Hood with Russell Crowe is a worthwhile watch :)

If you like Dumb and Dumber you'd probably like King Pin...although you've probably seen it as it's an old film.

A Time to Kill is still one of my all time favourite films. Sleepers is worth a watch too!

We recently watched The Hangover very funny!! Cant wait to see 2nd one out 5th Dec.

Watched Hot Fuzz last night also funny.

I suppose you can tell I like funnies.

Minority Report with Tom Cruise excellent film

I don't know whether you like Pirates of the Caribbean, but I definitely recommend the fourth one in the series - by far the best of the four :) (doesn't come out on DVD until the 12th though :)) Thor was also very good, but again, isn't out yet.

I enjoyed Red Riding Hood when I went to see that. The Blindside is another good film with Sandra Bullock. 300 was also pretty good in a Gladiator sort of way! The latest Robin Hood with Russell Crowe is a worthwhile watch :)

If you like Dumb and Dumber you'd probably like King Pin...although you've probably seen it as it's an old film.

A Time to Kill is still one of my all time favourite films. Sleepers is worth a watch too!

Have seen many of those Sian, and liked 'em - on that basic may well check some of the others out.

Have seen most of the franchise stuff, Pirates, (as a Disney lover I love 'em lol) Bourne movies, etc.

Don't know if many of you use Lovefilm, but basically I have to stack up a load of movies and as I watch one and return it, the next one is sent - a sort of DVD/Bluray conveyor belt lol.

Keep them coming!

Hello!

Films I have lilked are:

Shawshank redemption- fantastic film
The Illusionist- about magicians
Thor- the new one!
Deception point- Ewan Mcgregor
In Bruges- Colin Farell
The tourist- Jonny Depp
Source code- Jake Gillenhall
Sin city- same producers as 300, I liked the production on this
Inception- Leonardo Di Caprio
Shutter island- Leonard Di Caprio
City of angels- Nicolas Cage
The fifth element - classic Bruce willis!
The prestige- Hugh Jackman
Big Fish- Euan Mcgregor or any of the tim Burton films
Red- got some good actors in, meryl streep, bruce willis, morgan freeman
Super 8- just recently at the cinema, very good!
Fried green tomatoes at the whistle stop cafe- old but classic
Kill Bill trilogy
Team America-possibly one my all time favourite films!
All the Monty Python films are worth a watch if you like silly humour like me!

If you like cartoons- I do! :
Despicable me- I loved this
How to train your dragon
Monsters Inc or any of the pixars

Hope some of these help :)

Sacrilige I know but never been a fan of the pythons....

Shawshank must be on everyone's list - along with The Green Mile lol.

Hangover will become a classic (not sure about 2 though)

I also like any good spoofs, Airplane, Naken Gun, Top Secret, Hot Shots etc. - have there been any of these made in recent years?

I'm so out of touch since giving up my Cineworld pass a few years ago:(

miught have to scour IMDB to get a list of the "must see" movies. THing is, critics and "real people" seldom agree on great movies.

In my opinion, the greatest movie ever made (according to the critics) wouldn't even register in my top 500.

Citizen Kane - Orson Welles' masterpiece leaves me cold. I just don't "get it":(

Give me a good Coen Brothers, or Farelly Brothers movie. A stylish bit of Tarantino, or even a gross-out movie.

Not wanting much am I?;)

Oh i love this thread. some of my favs are;

Shawshank loved it. if it had come out the year before or after it would definitely got oscars. Dam that Forrest Gump.
Forrest Gump - just love that one
The Day after Tomorrow - just a great one.
Marley and Me.
A time to kill - just love the closing line of the defense lawyer at the end.
Ray - brilliant
Rosewood - a shocking film based on true events in Florida (even though Florida denies it)
Harry Potter films apart from half blood prince big disappointment
Twilight films
Matrix
Grease (all time favourite)
Beaches - great weepy
Taken - love Liam
Devil - M-night Shalaman one of my favourite directors
The Music Box - love court room dramas

the list can go on and on

Dirty Dancing as a classic.
Anything Bollywood, loved Bride and Predjudice it is such a happy film
Balle Balle full song - Bride and Prejudice *HQ* - YouTube

Calender Girls
Speed and Speed 2
Mama Mia

I hate anything violent or horror.......Paul loves them..........

Not really a great film buff..........

Mine are all chick flicks but you asked! Also a few very old ones!

City of Angels
Steel Magnolias
Penny Serenade ( this is B&W so unlikely to be on lovefilm lol ancient Jimmy Stewart who I love!)
You've got mail
Sleepless in Seattle
Frankie and Johnny
One fine day
12 angry men (again B&W)
Catwoman (I have a girl crush of Michelle Pfieffer)
Dangerous Minds
High Society
Hope Floats (hate the title)
Bridges of Madison County
The pelican brief
A cry in the night/dark (meryl Streep)
Kindergarten cop
Matilda
Miracle on 34th street (try to watch both versions)
Love Actually
Notting Hill
Four weddings and a funeral
The wedding planner
Gorillas on the mist
The bone collector in fact all of Denzil Washingtons loved The Hurricane too
Bruce almighty and Evan ? The sequel lol
The calendar girls
The full monty
Billy Elliott

You may need testosterone injections after these as your stores will be depleted lol!

Shirleen

You missed;

The Wedding Singer
10 Things I hate about you
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
50 First Dates
It Could happen To You
Some Kind of Wonderful

:eek:

Wasn't Penny Serenade Carey Grant not Jimmy Stewart?

Haha, modern man me Shirleen, chick flicks rock;) I've seen just about all those you mentioned (own most of them) - I went through a phase a few year back when I was collecting DVD's from play.com at the rate of 5 per week for a few years:eek:

The original Frankenstein is a great movie (Boris Karloff)

Tom Hanks and meg Ryan have been replaced by Adam Sandler & Drew Barrymore.

Jimmy Stewart & as mentioned Carey Grant were good black and white box office.

I'm searching for those elusive classics I may have missed - every now and then a forgotten or undiscovered classic turns up;)

Steve

I meant Cary Grant!
But I still love Jimminy Stewart!
I didn't like the Wedding Singer can't stand Adam Sandler or Jack Black he ruined The Holiday for me.

Saw a Cary Grant film the other day I hadn't seen before, with Doris Day (Awww love Doris) Can't remember the name of it.
In America you can go see old movies at the cinema, now that would be cool! Still trying to search down a film I only remember bits to, a WW2 romance!

I also love Star Trek Generations, Insurrection, Nemesis and the last one!
Cannot abide Star Wars or Any James Bond!
Love all the Die Hards
Lethal Weapon

Shirleen, if you go on imdb.com there is a section where you quite literally give them a few details, plot, era, etc. and someone will tell you the name of the movie! - I've done it a few times and found out the names of long-forgotten movies:)

I just can't get away with Sci-fi etc. though- Back to the future (if that counts) and the excellent Close Encounters being exceptions.

Also a great Doris Day fan, but Jodie Foster & Meryl Streep (Mamma Mia excepted!) are my collectables:D

Now Steve, if you'd said you liked girly films I could have given you a list as long as my arms! My two (yes two :eek:) editions of Dirty Dancing sit right next to Kill Bill and Kill Bill 2 in my collection, lol!

If you liked My Big Fat Greek Wedding, have you watched Connie and Carla? I think that's very funny! Toni Collette is a good actress :) Ooo, that reminds me of In Her Shoes (she's in that, along with Cameron Diaz)

Best Jodie Foster films by far are Sommersby, Maverick and Anna and the King (although Anna and the King is nowhere near as good as The King and I)

I love musicals, so I love all things like:

Mary Poppins
The Sound of Music
Thoroughly Modern Millie
The King and I
Grease
Grease 2 :eek:
Footloose
Oliver
Chicago
Cabaret
West Side Story
My Fair Lady
Singin' in the Rain
Oklahoma
Annie
The Phantom of the Opera (Gerard Butler is fit!)
Sweeney Todd (Johnny Depp is actually very good) etc etc!

When/if Jekyll and Hyde comes out as a feature length musical film, it'll be the first thing on my list to see! :D Even though I only went to see it on stage just over a month ago, lol!

dudette I fell in love with Gerard Butler in Phantom of the Opera! A couple of my personal faves are Whatever Happened to Baby Jane and Edward Scissorhands. And all of the Toy Story films, although I've only managed to sit through the 3rd one once as it just about broke my heart :') Oh and Ghostrider, purely to hear Nic Cage drawl "lets ride" in that sexy southern accent of his ;)

Back