recommendations for student meals please :)

flissglitz

hi, i'm new to SW and I would love to know some of your cheap free/low syn meals. i'm a student on a tight budget!!

Also if anyone knows of some ready meal type things from Sainsburys that are low syns what would be fantastic for days when I cba to really cook anything. (there is only a Sainsburys near my uni, otherwise i'd shop in cheaper shops like tesco and asda)

:)

Mushy pea curry is dirt cheap an dead easy to make! Cost me about 3 quid to make enough for 6 meals. And sundar chickpea dahl is free on EE and fab warmed in micro with some boiled rice! xx

thank you :)

well done on your losses btw :)

heya, im a student too so I know what its like, I have like no time for cooking :( I can't even cook hehe.

I just tend to snack on loads of superfree (fruit mainly)
For times when I have to dash off to lectures I grab 2 alpen light cereal bars, they're a Healthy Extra B and are expensive (around 1.78 pack of 5) but there are alternatives, if u like i can write you a list of cheaper brands.
Meals: bung in a jacket potato in the microwave topped with baked beans (a staple)
tinned mackerel in tomato sauce (Princes do a yummy version the thought may sound disgusting but it tastes really good)
Pasta with tomato sauce (quick and easy)
As already said, chickpea dahl is good.
Sweetcorn is great for snacking, complements a meal, although it is free not superfree still a nice quick addition.
Mugshot noodles (add water) (some flavours are free e.g roast chicken, sweet and sour) are good witha some salad, or over jacket potato etc.
Batchelors savoury rice is soooo yum and a lot of flavours are free!! bung in microwave
On days where u have a little more time, maybe grill some lean meat/fish (i know its expensive) topped with Schwartz perfect shake to give it a flavour boost.
The SW chip recipe does take time but thats also a good one!!!
Also speed soup (chicken/beef stock cubes with beans/lots of superfree) is really quick and easy to make and can be frozen.
A salad is boring, but can be topped with a yummy dressing :)
Sorry I do not know of any ready meals to hand, although I hope I've helped! BTW I would recommend you take a look at ASDA online shopping, I think delivery is £4.95 off the top of my head but you could potentially be saving over that by shopping there instead of sainsburys :) (this is what im doing)

Would recommend buying frozen veg (and maybe some frozen fruit) as does not go off as much and cheaper, easy to prepare (however not as fresh)

thanks! thats fantastic

Quorn fillets in tomato and olive sauce are 2 syns per packet and they're really nice (if you like quorn - a lot of people don't). You can also have it with some couscous which is free on EE. It's reasonably priced too :)

Last edited:
Back