Ricotta and spinach canelloni

Sio

Tried making this tonight from the 31 family meals book that came with the magazine this month.

Firstly how on earth do you stop the pasta sheets sticking together? I was only making for me so only had 5 sheets in my biggest pan. I fanned them out but after 5 min for the recipe they weren't cooked. 15 min later the uncooked middles had all stuck together, tearing the cooked bits!

I ended up making a sort of lasagne from all the flat scraps and after all that it was only ok. The ricotta didn't really have much of a taste. Oh well, on to the next recipe...

I wouldn't use lasagne sheets - I would use ready to use canneloni tubes. But if I had to use the lasagne ones I would cook them one at a time for this very reason.

Sio said:
Tried making this tonight from the 31 family meals book that came with the magazine this month.

Firstly how on earth do you stop the pasta sheets sticking together? I was only making for me so only had 5 sheets in my biggest pan. I fanned them out but after 5 min for the recipe they weren't cooked. 15 min later the uncooked middles had all stuck together, tearing the cooked bits!

I ended up making a sort of lasagne from all the flat scraps and after all that it was only ok. The ricotta didn't really have much of a taste. Oh well, on to the next recipe...

Have u got last months mag? In there was a recipe for spinach and ricotta canneloni using canneloni tubes. Have a feeling may even be the same recipe just different types of pasta! :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

You add a teaspoon of olive oil to stop them sticking, but kinnda defeats the object then when your trying to diet cause the sheets end up covered in the oil. It does work though!

Canelloni tubes would definately be better!

Next time I'd put a lot more flavouring in, or use philadelphia instead of ricotta.

31 page cookbook

i fancied trying that one, but migh give it a miss now!
The qourn cottage pie was lovely, the cheesey pasta bake was eatable but abit dry i thought

I looked at that recipe and thought it looked a bit iffy trying to do it with dried lasagne :confused: Glad you tried it first, shan;t bother now :D

The canneloni from last months mag was definitely easier- using the cannelloni tubes was better, and using cottage cheese rather than ricotta means the filling doesn't use a healthy extra or any syns- it means you can have some grated cheddar on top when you bake it as a HEXA :D I loooooove cheese!
A word of warning with the tubes: the recipe says to fill the tubes with a piping bag- which I didn't have, and ended up using a teaspoon which took AAAAGES. Make sure you have a piping bag or some other tool to fill them with that doesn't take forever :)

A word of warning with the tubes: the recipe says to fill the tubes with a piping bag- which I didn't have, and ended up using a teaspoon which took AAAAGES. Make sure you have a piping bag or some other tool to fill them with that doesn't take forever :)

In the past I've just used a plastic bag with the corner chopped off. :D Anything'll do, a carrier bag'll do if it holds the contents without leaking :D

Loving the idea of making some kind of canelloni with tubes-what are people most sucessful creations flavour wise? Would be making it for others so cottage cheese might not be so good and would be on a green day so could have double hex a's if that helps? xx

Ooh, I have last months magazine but hadn't noticed the cottage cheese one. Sounds nice, might give it a go. i have a piping bag too, so should be ok?

Ooh, I have last months magazine but hadn't noticed the cottage cheese one. Sounds nice, might give it a go. i have a piping bag too, so should be ok?

I would imagine so yeah :) Thinking about it...might even be the month before that. I cannae remember!

When trying to soften dried sheets of lasagne (whether it's for lasagne , cannelloni or those naughty tortilla chips!

Boil a kettle and fill a large glass bowl with the boiled water . Spray each lasagne sheet with some frylight and place each sheet in the bowl alternately - lengthways, widthways .

Leave for 5 mins.

Drain and plunge into cold water - otherwise you'll burn your fingers. They should separate easily.

;)

Kx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back