Running out of items

AngelicBee

Silver Member
I feel like I'm constantly shopping :-/ always running out of items?? What's your tips for reducing the amount of shopping trips please x

I would say plan well and shop online but I've recently had a nasty online experience with food shopping so not the best person to ask!

I do do all my weekly shopping in one batch (or try to) and it does help

^^^^^ absolutely right.
Can't stress enough, planning is def. the key. That and cooking in bulk eg cooking 2 or 3 batches of lean mince in a slowcooker (adding lots chopped/grated veg for your superfree... Grated mushrooms, carrots, beetroot and courgette cook down with the passata into a lovely sauce which also bulks out the meat) and then making a batch for bolognese for tea that night, making the other 2 batches for later in the week/month....one as a chilli by adding spices and beans and the other as the 'bottom' of a cottage pie and popping them both in the freezer.

Plan is the key, buy as many non perishable items you can once a week then just pop out to top up fruit and veg, I'll top up fruit & veg once a week.

Some fantastic advice above, I'd say planning & the freezer are most definitely your friends!
Plan based on what you already have, then each week when you shop, plan first then buy ingredients. This doesn't have to be militant but by having a rough idea what you want to eat you can ensure you don't forget to pick stuff up.
Frozen veg can be a total lifesaver too- cheaper to buy and doesn't go off, win win! Great to make a soup with if you need the freezer space back too.
Fruit is trickier if like me you aren't keen on the frozen berries, but I find bananas and apples have a long enough shelf life, and grapes in the fridge last ages too.
Hope this helps!

It the herbs, spices, passata and dried foods that keep disappearing - think I need a bulk buy!!

I use my soup maker and slow cookers a lot. I think I have to find a way to get a lot of each item cheaply.

Thank you x

I do the same, I plan my meals out at least a week, sometimes two, in advance and do an online shop. I tend to order twice the amount of ingredients for any freezable meals so that I can freeze a portion (works best with Bolognese, curry, fish pies, chilli con carne and soups in my opinion) which will mean that I can sometimes get an extra weeks meals from the same shop with a tiny (or no) top up

Frozen veg microwave packs
Grapes - 5 value/basic punnets
Something in season fruit wise
Bananas

Everything else keeps indefinitely! - passata/plum tomatoes etc

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MiniMins.com mobile app

I buy frozen fruit & veg now - I also just buy meat regularly and freeze it when possible so that way I always have options. Only things I buy fresh are things like apples/melon/clementines.

Back