Russiandoll's 6st slim-down challenge - damage limitation

That's fabulous russiandoll. Well done.

Russiandoll said:
Hi babymumma

I'm a cover teacher at one school so luckily I know my way around. But I definitely have to be careful when it comes to drinking water because, as you know, you can't just leave to go to the loo in the middle of a lesson. I remember one time I drank a whole litre before my first lesson - by halfway through, things were getting a bit urgent. Ten minutes before the end I had my legs crossed and was in quite a bit of discomfort. By the end of the lesson I was desperately planning my route to the nearest loo and even let the kids go 2 minutes before the bell went as I didn't think I was going to make it!

My water intake is definitely my biggest downfall. I've never been able to take the required amount in regularly. Occasionally I can do a bit more than 2L but I usually struggle to even do that. I just don't feel thirsty and whilst I know I should drink it thirsty or not, I just find it really difficult to do.

How has your day been? WHat CWP step are you doing?

I've been doing well. Today, I gave myself the afternoon/evening off as I'm off out and I'm not going to go out and not eat! I won't be drinking though as I didn't want to totally sabotage all the hard work I've been putting in. :)

I'm on step 1. Not sure how long I'm meant to be on there. Can I just stay on it till I reach target?

But then surely the weight would pile on if you were then to start eating normally?

Well done Amy! I can't see me doing that well - even on a VLCD I'm a slow loser but I accept it's a marathon and not a sprint so bit by bit I'll get rid of this weight.

I sole sourced the entire time I was on Cambridge (with the occasional add-a-meal week). The idea is that you start moving up the steps as you approach your goal so you don't regain the weight you lost. That way, you can gauge at what point you're not losing or gaining weight and that's what you need to maintain at your new weight.

Where I went wrong in 2007 was that, because of some devastating family events, I didn't move up the steps but just launched back into my old ways. I ended up regaining 5st of the 10st I'd lost (so it's not true you're more likely to regain it ALL after a VLCD). And it's that 5st plus another 1 for good measure that I want to lose this time around

I didn't think after 1 month I would have lost that much weight especially as I have been doing ss and then adding a couple of ss+ days at the weekend, I have the determination this time to stick to the diet and I think that you have to be in the right frame of mind to do something like the Cambridge otherwise I would fail and be back to square 1. Keep going it does get easier. X

Well done Russian doll - sounds like you know what you're doing and know exactly what you are / aren't capable of. You sounds like you're completely in control.

I'm 8 weeks in now, and don't really feel like it's got any easier at all. I'm on step 2 (810) so have smaller losses (average 2.5lb a week) but pleased with progress so far, 3lb's away from 2 stone total loss.

Well done Tbag! I think the 2st marker is a real milestone for most of us. Yeah, the first stone is good, but it's at 2st it becomes 'big losses' and it's also when most people really start to notice. I remember when I lost 10st, I went to visit a friend I hadn't seen for about 3 years. Her husband opened the door and he just stood there and stared at me then said 'yes?'. I replied, 'Owen - it's me - Deb!' and his jaw nearly hit the floor. He said I looked vaguely familiar but he just wasn't sure who I was. That was a great day for me.

I signed up at a leisure complex yesterday. Well, it's not actually finished - it's the brand spanking new one that the town council is building. The grotty old one has been pulled down and the new one will be ready by the end of the year. I'm member number 54 and have taken full membership so will be entitled to unlimited access to pool, gym and all classes. I'll start in January and hopefully by then will be a couple of stones lighter and ready to boost things with some full-on exercise! In the meantime, I'll stick to walking the dog and cycling (if I can get my bike out of the shed ... daughter number 4 has lost the only key!)

I'm starting to research charity challenges as well with a view to perhaps taking one on towards the end of next year. Maybe a trek / hike or cycle ride. I'd REALLY love to do one of the big epic ones (Great Wall of China, Matchu Pitchu, the Grand Canyon etc) but they involve raising something like £4k and I just don't know if I could manage that. What an amazing achievement and life experience that would be! I think I'll end up doing something like London to Brighton on a bike though :)

It's the weekend - dig deep and stick with it everyone x

Thank you Diva. I'm pleased with the loss but, boy, am I suffering tonight! I am so hungry and feel my willpower is being tested to the max. I'm nursing a cup of black decaf coffee and feeling a bit sorry for myself at the moment :(

Russiandoll said:
Thank you Diva. I'm pleased with the loss but, boy, am I suffering tonight! I am so hungry and feel my willpower is being tested to the max. I'm nursing a cup of black decaf coffee and feeling a bit sorry for myself at the moment :(

Hope you managed to hang on in there, hun. It'll be easier again tomorrow!

Russiandoll said:

Hope you're ok tonight lily! :)

Russiandoll said:

Obv I need to be in bed!! I meant hope you're ok russiandoll. :)

That brought a smile to my face - hope you all managed to get a good night's sleep. I ended up going for a walk to the supermarket about a mile away (in the rain and I would have to choose the brolly that leaked!)

I have to confess I haven't sole sourced perfectly for the last 2 nights (had chicken breast, steamed veg and garlic bread - yikes!) but I was an angel during the day and I KNOW I'll be going back to it tomorrow so I'm not going to beat myself up and do my psyche damage - I have a long way to go and want my sanity intact at the end of it.

Hope you managed a better day - and even if you didn't, it doesn't matter cos tomorrow's a brand new Monday. :)

Thanks for your encouraging words on my diary - all very much appreciated! x

Russiandoll said:
That brought a smile to my face - hope you all managed to get a good night's sleep. I ended up going for a walk to the supermarket about a mile away (in the rain and I would have to choose the brolly that leaked!)

I have to confess I haven't sole sourced perfectly for the last 2 nights (had chicken breast, steamed veg and garlic bread - yikes!) but I was an angel during the day and I KNOW I'll be going back to it tomorrow so I'm not going to beat myself up and do my psyche damage - I have a long way to go and want my sanity intact at the end of it.

Just noticed your 'carpe diem'. I love that so much I have it tattooed on my back!!!

Thanks Babymumma - I love that sentiment 'seize the day!'. And so we should - there are lots of opportunities out there if only we have the courage to grab them.

I'm back on track today with a 'Positive Mental Attitude' ... I didn't do my usual, 'I've slipped so I may as well jack it in', followed by a carb tailspin to disaster! Yes, I'm a little hungry as I probably tipped out of ketosis with the garlic bread but I also know (from experience) that getting back in is easy because I didn't have enough carbs to completely refill my glycogen store.

I've been looking at charity challenges over the last few days. I'd love to do one but have reservations. I'd need to commit to get thinner and fitter - what if I fail again?? And what if I can't raise the required amount in time?? It's a real 'voices on my shoulder' moment.

The last time I took on a major challenge was deciding to have a go at going to University, which I didn't do when I was younger. I left school at 16 with a couple of O levels and went straight to work, then had kids (my eldest when I was only 18) and my road seemed mapped out. For decades I thought 'this is me' and didn't have the confidence to see if I COULD have achieved a degree.
So in 2005, aged 43, I went to college to get the qualifications needed to get to Uni and started my degree course one year later. At the same time, I started Cambridge and lost 10st during my first year. Unfortunately, in 2007, my young nephew died in tragic circumstances and my dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer. I went into a tailspin and regained 5st over the course of that year. To this day I don't know how I held on and continued my studies.

My dear dad died at the start of my third year so wasn't at my graduation in 2009. I had achieved a high 2:1 and got to wear the silly hat and gown - it was an amazing journey for me and one that I had succeeded in. Maybe I'm ready for a new challenge.

ok, well not 100% today but not bad. I had maple and pecan porridge for brekkie (genuinely LOVE that stuff!), a peanut bar and decaf for lunch, a cup of the veggie drink in the afternoon before walking Munchie in the fog then dinner ... this is where it could be said I slipped but, as I said, I don't think it was disastrous. I had an oriental chilli soup with steamed veg and half a chopped chicken breast then a CWP jelly (I am SO good at making these now) so it felt like 2 courses. I don't think this has trashed my diet.

Happily full tummy now :)

Ooh. Don't like oriental chilli soup anymore. Used to have it a lot but went off it somewhere down the line! I can still kind of taste it in my mind's taste buds. But I'm glad you like it and were able to make it into a delicious nutritious meal. :D

Sounds like a good day! :clap:

Back