Scared but need to make the change

mrbluesky

Hello all

I have lurked on this website for a while now and today I realise I really need to do something about my weight.

Gosh where do I start?

I lost my father about 8 mths ago and am just getting my head around it and trying to get my life back to some sort of normality.

I have put on a stone in those 8 mths which doesnt sound like much except I was nearly 20 stone when he passed away. This stone seems to have tipped my health over the edge and suddenly I am really feeling the ill effects of being this heavy. I really do feel like this weight is killing me slowly.

I have been bingeing badly, mostly in secret but I also have developed a bad habit of drinking wine and munchies at night time which I know has to stop asap before it becomes a bigger problem than it already is.

This crap eating and general bad health has my hormones all over the place and my husband and I have had some awful arguments. I know he is worried about me but is also frustrated at how things have gotten so bad. He is a great father and husband and we have been together for a long time and we have been through so much together but , I dont know , this feels like the final straw.

I know this post may come across as very depressing but I am actually feeling quite strong in that I am acknowledging where I am at and just want to move on.:)

So I guess my problem is that I have been using food as such an emotional crutch for a very long time, especially since my Dad passed away. I suppose I am wondering what is there to fill that void if not food?

I have currently in my cupboards, ww material, hoodia diet pills, prescription for reductil and an online subscription for Closer diets!! Good lord, what am I like!!

Well, I just wanted to make an initial post and say hello and introduce myself. Sorry for the warbling on ....

Hello Bluesky

Never apologise for 'warbling on' ... if we all did that there'd be no room for posts :)

Sorry about you dad :hug99: i lost mine over a year ago now, and it does get easier.

You have made the first step in posting here and talking about things - it's the hardest thing to admit to your flaws (trying not to sound condescending here!)

I also have a lot to lose (was 20 stone - now 19 ... high 19's but it still 19 :D) and the only way I've been able to cope with the amount I want to lose is looking at it over a longer period .. i.e. if I lose 1.5 pounds a week (which is very do-able) I'll be over 5stone lighter the same time next year ... which is AMAZING!!!

What diet are going to do? I'm on Weight Watchers - it's the only thing that's ever had any results for me, and more importantly, the only thing I can fit into my life easily and stick to.

I can't really help with the emotional eater, as I don't think I am one .... well maybe I am, but I want to eat when I'm happy and not sad.

But as for replacing food with something ... try taking up a hobby - suduko, knitting or anything that will take your mind off the food ... and of course there's always this site - which in itself can easily become an addiction!!

Anyway - I've warbled on enough myself now. Feel free to pm me if you want to chat!

Good luck!

Twiggy
xx

Hi Twiggy

Thanks for your reply, I was beginning to wonder why so many had read my post but nobody was replying!

I am sorry to hear about your Dad. Its so horrible to lose a parent and its only when you go through it personally do you fully realise the huge emotions involved.

Congratulations on your weight loss so far. I too will probably go for WW as it has worked in the past for me and in reality it is pretty easy to follow. I tend to start full gusto and lose easily but then I lose my motivation way too easily and fall off the wagon. But as I said in my first post this weight is piling on at an alarming rate and I am really starting to feel the ill effects of it so need to get my butt in gear!

take care and talk to you soon

The only time you will succeed on a diet is when the time is right for you and your head is in the right place. No one knows when that might be. If now is the time you will succeed.

What sort of diet are you thinking of? A VLCD like LighterLife, Cambridge Diet or Lipotrim.

Or something like Weightwatchers or slimming world? Have a good look around the site and also at the Inspirational Slide Show and see if that can get you started
Good luck
Irene xx

Hi Irene

Well done on the weight loss so far:)

Yep, it will probably be weight watchers for me , going to get myself organised and start next week.

You are so right. The only time you suceed at diets is when your head is in the right place. Think I am pretty much there!

Take care

Hiya

You should come on over to the WW board too - it has a lot more people visiting and there's always someone around to talk to :)

I know what you mean about losing momentum ... I think this is the longest time for ages and ages that I have kept hold of my motivation ... I am in the zone :) But, honestly, this place is the best place to be when you feel that motivation slipping ... even if you don't fancy chatting - have a look at the slideshow above, or read someone like Starlight's diary (who's lost tons of weight), you'll be back on the wagon in no time :)

Anyway - speak soon!

Twigs
xx

Back