Should I eat exercise calories back? Isn't it pointless? Here's the answer!

This is exactly right and what I was saying. You don't have to eat all of your exercise calories, you just need to try and make sure you're sticking to above 1200 net calories a day. You just need to listen to your body, if you're doing a lot of exercise you might feel the need for a bit more calorie wise. You just need to find what works for you, as long as you stick with 1200 net calories you're not at any risk of doing yourself any harm.

Exactly. :)

I think sometimes there is confusion if your base amount of calories is already on the 1200 mark. I HAVE to eat my exercise calories back, all of them, otherwise I don't reach the net 1200 mark. That said, sometimes I struggle and don't stuff food down for the sake of it but I do try my absolute best to eat as many of them as I can.

My friend is on 1700 calories a day and therefore doesn't need to eat all her exercise calories back as long as she eats a net amount of 1200 - her rate of loss is obviously faster than mine because she has a higher BMR in the first place and therefore forms a greater deficit.

Morrigan said:
I think sometimes there is confusion if your base amount of calories is already on the 1200 mark. I HAVE to eat my exercise calories back, all of them, otherwise I don't reach the net 1200 mark. That said, sometimes I struggle and don't stuff food down for the sake of it but I do try my absolute best to eat as many of them as I can.

My friend is on 1700 calories a day and therefore doesn't need to eat all her exercise calories back as long as she eats a net amount of 1200 - her rate of loss is obviously faster than mine because she has a higher BMR in the first place and therefore forms a greater deficit.

Ahhhh I was getting confused as I'm on 1200 a day...

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I agree with squeezy - I was eating my exercise cals back and not losing weight - last week and a half, I've upped the exercise and just eaten my 1200 cals - I've lost 2 pound - MFP tells you off if you eat less than 1200 food - but doesn't if you eat 1200 food and don't eat your exercise calories ie net lower than 1200

It's what works for you - if you are losing stick with what you are doing until you plateau - if you are not losing try a different approach. For now I'm not eating many if any of my exercise calories

Are you sure it doesn't still tell you off if your net is lower than 1200? I'm pretty sure it did with me, maybe there's different settings or something.

caroline g said:
Are you sure it doesn't still tell you off if your net is lower than 1200? I'm pretty sure it did with me, maybe there's different settings or something.

I think they changed it because it used to but as my base is 1200 if i burn but eat more than 1200 its fine

Back