Should I go?

Pouchie

Hi there

I am thinking of joining a club (I am presently doing SW on my own). I am just curious to how your weight is read out in the class as I feel i will be really embarrassed.
Such a stupid question I know but it is the only thing stopping me going :cry:

Not a stupid question at all.

At my class the Consultant just says - oh Mrs X lost X lbs this week *clap clap clap* and has lost x lbs in total *clap clap clap*

We are like Seals clapping in Image Therapy - starts off hilarious, but you get used to it. xxxx

Our consultant never ever reveals anyones weight.

She goes around the group and will say things like 'Well done X, you've lost X this week'..or 'X, you've had a gain this week, are you ok with that'.

I know there are some members at our group who prefer it not to be announced when they have a gain, so our consultant will say something like 'X has been with us for X amount of weeks and has lost a total of X'

You can speak to the consultant beforehand if you're worried. They're not there to embarrass you, they're there to support you.

xx

My groups great too. If someone looses a big deal is made of it to celebrate but if someone looses, she just glosses ova it and checks your ok for the following week.
No one knows what your starting weight is or what your goal is - its all between you and the scales. x
Go to the group - get all the books info & support you need
x

I forgot to mention that - i had a huge gain last night and it was 'reviewed' with the group (what i had done wrong/different last week) but the amount wasnt even mentioned (thankfully) but if you speak to the Consultant she will know how you feel.

x

The only number ever revealed in our group is the losses/gains. Then as Ellebear said its 'clap clap clap' lol.
I've never been to a class where the persons weight is read out, that is besides the point - its how you've done during that week thats the important bit.

Any gains at my group just get mentioned as "Josie, slight gain this week, do you know where it's from?" and usually it ends up with a quick group discussion of any problems (such as - "I ate a whole packet of biscuits when I was bored, I don't know how to stop doing it!" and everyone has suggestions.

Numbers are only mentioned on a loss, usually "Josie has lost 1lb this week!" and then like the others say, you all clap. Nothing is ever mentioned about your actual weight. :)

Thankyou everyone. I am going to go on Wednesday and see how I get on. I am soo nervous but hoping it will keep me motivated. :)

It's true the consultants aren't there to embarass you and people wouldn't continue to go to groups if they did that.

My advice is to go to a group as the support is there at hand and you realise if you've had a bad day or week then there are others who are the same as you. It's not the end of the world if you have gained or maintained as you will find people are only too happy to share their experiences (and food diaries) with you...much the same on here really.

Good luck... :)

Our consultant never ever reveals anyones weight.

Slimming World rules are that a consultant can NEVER reveal your actual weight (start or current). Though there's nothing to say that you can't do so if you're comfortable doing so. My starting weight (27st8.5) is no big secret - it's been in local papers and a national magazine so generally in-group - i'm comfortable saying so. but can understand that most people won't be.

There's only three people who will know your weight otherwise:

You
Your consultant
The person doing the weighing in (and they have to sign a disclaimer i believe about not revealing it).

Everyone else - they can try and guess unless you tell them.

During group your weekly and total loss will be mentioned but that's all - some consultants shy away from saying how big any gains are and leave it at "*** had a gain but has lost *** in total", others may say "*** has gained a lb" but if you're uncomfortable with the room knowing the size of any gain (I wouldn't be as everyone has one eventually - it's called life) - then talk to the consultant and ask them not to mention it.

Thankyou to everyone who commented, I know my fears will be unfounded. Think this is the first time i have admitted my weight and food issues are out of control and I am finding that a little difficult, going to a club will be like admitting it to the world.
Anyway I am definately going this wednesday so I will report back and let you know if it was as scary as i thought :eek:

Thankyou to everyone who commented, I know my fears will be unfounded. Think this is the first time i have admitted my weight and food issues are out of control and I am finding that a little difficult, going to a club will be like admitting it to the world.
Anyway I am definately going this wednesday so I will report back and let you know if it was as scary as i thought :eek:

Just remember- we're all in the same boat- if we didn't have an issue with our weight or have a bad relationship with food, we would never have joined SW in the first place.

Getting there is one of the hardest (but honestly, most rewarding) thing you'll ever do. It takes a lot to go, but once you get there, you'll wonder why you ever worried in the first place!

I'll be thinking of you on Wednesday- I really hope it goes well :) x

Well thats me a fully fledged member and yes you were all right, completely painless :). So glad I went there is only about 10 people in our little class and everyone is superfriendly. Thankyou to everyone for their encouragement :bighug:

woo- welcome to SW missy!! :)

Welcome and good luck!!!!

Back