Side effects and results

suzmch

Hi,

I've been taking Xenical for a week now. After looking at my food diary - I use MFP my Dr suggested just taking 2 tablets a day as I don't really eat beakfast and if I do it's a piece of fruit.
I am following low cal and low fat diet and tracking on MFP. However I am having about 45g fat per day, but only taking 2 tablets.

I have had no side effects whatsoever - this could be becuase I'm eating low enough fat. But I thought that the xenical would strip out fat even from low fat options and therefore I would be seeing some oil etc in my poo (excuse the bluntness)

So is it working ?
Should I take 3 tablets to cover the 45g fat but only over 2 meals ?
I've experienced the tango effect before (I've been on Xenical and experienced this in the past when I thought I could sneak in a burger and chips !) but I would still be expecting to have some symptoms that it is working. Esp as I had a few chocolates etc yesterday (but still under calorie goal)
I had my weigh in this week and maintained previous weekly loss rate rather than showing any improvement now I'm on Xenical.

Any advice greatly received. Suz x

Hiya! I wonder worry about the lack of side effects, you shouldn't really notice anything if you're eating well. Are you on Xenical or the Teva brand Orlistat? I must admit I can tell more if I've "misbehaved" when taking Xenical - I sometimes do wonder if the Teva does anything at all, lol. Having said that, I think you've hit the nail on the head when you say your losses have stayed the same - I think a few of us on here would agree that the difference in weight loss on Xenical is minimal at best, and that you can lose almost as much without it. The difference seems to be that it helps you stay on the straight and narrow, because as you say, the consequences of that sneaky burger and chips can be quite unpleasant, lol. Good luck. xx

i dont see why your Dr has said only to take 2 a day. as its supposed to be a 3 a day tablet regardless of how much fat is in your meals. as it should settle in your system as a constant stream if you get what i mean...
maybe take 3...
are you drinking enough/ eating enough for what you do throughout the day and getting in exercise??

hope the scales show some loss soon for you... but as tracey has said, if you are eating right it wont show at all with the effects. only if you have eaten too much fat.

I think it does say in the information leaflet not to bother taking a tablet if you have a largely fat free meal. I must admit I don't take one in the morning because I don't eat breakfast, so only have two a day. xx

Thanks for the replies.

It's Xenical ratehr than Orlistat or Alli that I am taking.
I think I'll stick to two tablets a day just now unless I start introducing another meal over the festive period. If I'm not noticing any loss I'll maybe increase to three in the new year.

I am definitely eating about 45-50 g fat each day so I would have expected to some effects in my poo!

Admitedly I think exercise is my issue. I struggle to find time for more than a 20-30 min walk each day. I broke my foot earlier this year and spent 6 months on crutches so I'm really nervous about a lot of exercise where I might damage my foot. i used to do Zumba and probably won't be able to now.
Would like to go swimming etc but it can be so expensive to go regularly and i just can't afford it.

thanks again for the advice.

Mine said the same thing- basically it's not worth bothering if your meal is very low fat

All 3 tablets are called Orlistat. Xenical, alli or Teva are just different brand names for the same drug.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Thanks for the replies.

It's Xenical ratehr than Orlistat or Alli that I am taking.
I think I'll stick to two tablets a day just now unless I start introducing another meal over the festive period. If I'm not noticing any loss I'll maybe increase to three in the new year.

I am definitely eating about 45-50 g fat each day so I would have expected to some effects in my poo!

Admitedly I think exercise is my issue. I struggle to find time for more than a 20-30 min walk each day. I broke my foot earlier this year and spent 6 months on crutches so I'm really nervous about a lot of exercise where I might damage my foot. i used to do Zumba and probably won't be able to now.
Would like to go swimming etc but it can be so expensive to go regularly and i just can't afford it.

thanks again for the advice.

What I would say about your foot is don't be too worried about exercise, I severely broke my ankle in a few places a year last September an yes as first it did slow my exercise down a bit, however I completed the couch to 5k programme this year too, my ankle does ache a little bit most days and the cold doesn't help, but try no to let yourself use it as an excuse, easier said than done and I know I did and put on a stone because of it... Start slow with fast walking is ideal if you are a bit worried, kettle bells would be another good choice...
If you are eating well you shouldn't see any effects at all :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hi, I have only ever taken one tablet a day - with my evening meal. I have fruit and fat free yoghurt for breakfast and generally something very low fat for lunch which just leaves the evening meal.. It has worked for me (and makes the prescriptions last a bit longer making it cheaper!) x

I think my main issue about lack of side effects is that it's lulling me into a false sense of security. I'm eating, taking tablets and no tango. So over Christmas I'll eat (most likely not so well) , take my tablets and ..... disasterous tango effect. Mostly because I've just been too comfortable taking them and not having any issues.
But if I stop taking them I'm worried that I'll just lose all self control and eat anything and everything in sight. Which is what I normally do.

Back