Dismiss Notice
Welcome to MiniMins! Be sure to check out our complete listing of diets on the front page including Slimming World, Exante, Weight Watchers, Cambridge Weight Plan, Herbalife, and hundreds more.

Slightly Off Topic: Reading thread

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by Angellore, 11 May 2008 Social URL.

1. Angellore

Angellore Full Member

Start Weight:
    20st11lb
    Current Weight:
    19st9.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st12lb
    Lost(%):
    1st1.5lb(5.33%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    As so many of us blame boredom for overeating or eating the wrong things I thought it might be a nice idea for us to share what books we're reading at the moment, or particular books you have really enjoyed in the past.

I usually like thrillers and crime books, like Patricia Cornwell, Karin Slaughter etc. I am currently reading a book called Fatal Attraction by Carol Smith (got it in British bookshop for half price - £3.99) - its a really good book. Doesn't labour over uninteresting points and is pretty fast paced. I statrted reading it yeasterday and am already more than half way through. Definitely reccomended.:read:

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Taz

Taz Spam Hunter

Start Weight:
    17st12lb
    Current Weight:
    11st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    5st13lb(33.2%)
    Diet:
    HGB
    There is already a thread somewhere but I don't see why we can't do one just for here. I like Harlan Coben and Linda Fairstein. If you like crime then you will love these 2.

4. rainbow

rainbow Gold Member

Start Weight:
    20st4.5lb
    Current Weight:
    17st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    2st5.5lb(11.78%)
    Diet:
    SW
    Im almost ashamed th say it..... but.......Im rubbish - I only read magazines! ........ Ive only read four books in my life (apart from ones I have had to read as part of A-level and GCSE coursework) they've been Ralphs Party by Lisa Jewel, one of the Sophie Kinseler shopaholic ones, Angelas Ashes and another one bout a doctor (the title of which I cant remember) So if anyones got any suggestions of very very easy reading that would be great - I think I'd be into true stories or ones that have a main character and you kinda just follow them around......... any suggestions from anyone?! x

5. rolo

rolo Full Member

I really liked Jodi Picoult books for a while but have gone off her lately. I did really enjoy "plain truth" though. It's about a murder in an amish community. I also read "a midwives tale", think it was called that. It's a true account of midwifery in the slums of london during the 50's. I actually cried several times.

My favourite of all time is "The time travellers wife". I read it 3 years ago and recently read it again because the film is comng out and I wanted to refresh myself. You really have to concentrate on that one though but it's absolutely fantasic!

Roz x

6. sonban

sonban Addicted to Minimins

Im with Rainbow I am a Mag fan I read Take a Break, Chat and Thats Life.:D I think the last book I read was The Lion the which and the wardrobe when I was little. I do however read the kids books does In the night garden count.:D

7. rolo

rolo Full Member

I read all those trashy mags as well, chat, thats life, pick me up, love it etc but my god aren't they full of really violent stories. I do have tobe in the right mood to read a book but when I find a good one my mnose is stuck in it til it's finished. Dh loves the Terry Pratchett discworld novels but I can't get into them and the Darren Brown ones.

Roz x

8. sonban

sonban Addicted to Minimins

Yeah I do agree with you on that one you can get some really nasty stories in them. I cant even buy them when I am having a bad bout of depression because I could flood england with my tears if I read a bad story.

9. Starlight

Starlight Gold Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    I love reading. Im embarrased to admit it but I must have several hundred unread books in my house!!! I need to stop buying new ones lol

10. Louise24

Louise24 Gold Member

Diet:
    slimming world
    I love reading too, I'll read anything from mags to books etc. On holiday I'll read 3 or 4 books in a week - I'm a barrel of laughs aren't I?!? x

11. Starlight

Starlight Gold Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    lol I usually have 3 books on the go at once. One at home, one in my locker at work and one at my parents!

12. rainbow

rainbow Gold Member

Start Weight:
    20st4.5lb
    Current Weight:
    17st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    2st5.5lb(11.78%)
    Diet:
    SW
    Id never keep up Starlight! I'm a trashy mag reader too - yeah some horrible stories, also some very funny ones too!!

13. Force Ten

Force Ten Serial Dieter

Start Weight:
    16st9lb
    Current Weight:
    16st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st5lb(2.15%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    My house is wall to wall books and like Starlight I usually have more than one book on the go at any time. I read voraciously to the extent that I will happily sit reading rather than getting on with chores. One good thing about my exercise bike is that I can read at the same time as cycling lol.

14. Lola

Lola Regular Member

Start Weight:
    14st7lb
    Current Weight:
    13st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    1st1lb(7.39%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge
    I read about 2 books a week tho cant stand the clutter of keeping them! Swap them on this site its great! www.readitswapit.co.uk

I like reading crime books, Harlan Coben my absolute fav, will have to give Linda Fairstein a go if you think shes good Taz, must be good if you like harlan too, thanks.

15. mod-karen79

mod-karen79 rainbows holiday buddy :)

the Mr Men series and Viz annual!

16. Force Ten

Force Ten Serial Dieter

Start Weight:
    16st9lb
    Current Weight:
    16st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st5lb(2.15%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    How about Lee Child? I love his books as well as Harlan Coben's. Tess Gerritsen is good too.

FT :)

17. Taz

Taz Spam Hunter

Start Weight:
    17st12lb
    Current Weight:
    11st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    5st13lb(33.2%)
    Diet:
    HGB
    There is a connection between Harlan Coben and Linda Fairstein, they know each other and help on each others books. Give them a go, you won't be disappointed

18. Taz

Taz Spam Hunter

Start Weight:
    17st12lb
    Current Weight:
    11st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    5st13lb(33.2%)
    Diet:
    HGB
    I've not got round too Lee Child yet although I do intend to. I have a Tess Gerritsen one waiting on my pile!

19. Taz

Taz Spam Hunter

Start Weight:
    17st12lb
    Current Weight:
    11st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    5st13lb(33.2%)
    Diet:
    HGB
    I used to keep all my books then the clutter really started to irritate me so I took them all to a car boot then gave what I didn't sell to charity. Why don't we do our own swaps on here?

20. Force Ten

Force Ten Serial Dieter

Start Weight:
    16st9lb
    Current Weight:
    16st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st5lb(2.15%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Haven't tried Linda Fairstein yet, I'll have a look at lunchtime.

FT :)

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.