Slimming World after total thyroidectomy?

Hello everyone,

I haven't been on here for a very long time. I recently re-joined Slimming World, I have around 9 stone to lose. So it feels like a pretty big task ahead.

I was wondering if there's anyone else on here who had a total thyroidectomy, or an underactive thyroid, and has been on SW? How difficult or easy did you find it to lose weight?

I'd be really grateful to read of people's experiences.

Thanks
TrickyNicky

Hi! I haven't been on SW for all that long, and my thyroid isn't completely knackered, but I do take quite a lot of levothyroxine supplement.

I've managed to lose about 11 stone since starting my diet, which started off as calorie counting and then the recent switch to SW. I've lost 8lb in 3 weeks with SW, which I think isn't bad!

Sorry, that wasn't a hugely helpful post but it shows that it can be done. You might find the weight comes off a little slower if you're not getting enough thyroxine supplements, but I think you can achieve your target with SW. Good luck!

Thanks for replying, and congratulations on your incredible weight loss so far! Your post does help a lot, it goes to show that you CAN lose weight despite being on levothyroxine. My TSH is exactly where it should be with the meds but my SW consultant also said the weight loss may be slower. So we'll see what the scales say on Wednesday.

Underactive too and on thyroxine.......don't have loads to lose but been doing ok up until now. Always better results if I can stick with the superfree. (Hats off to Madame Vastra - fantastic weight loss, well done!!)

Thanks Jeanne, that's encouraging. You've done really well too! There are so many horror stories out there saying weight loss is pretty much impossible for people with thyroid disease. So it's good to hear you're both managing to lose.

Hi, I have had an underactive thyriod for many years as I had an operation because I was over active. I jave done SW on and off for a number of years and came back in August. Since then I have lost 1 stone 9 pounds but took a break a few weeks ago. I will be back on the wagon at the end of the month but have maintained the weight that I lost. It is possible to lose all your weight on the plan but it will take time. Good luck :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Thanks Tiger-lilly, sounds like your thyroid has been causing you a lot of trouble. Well done on your weight loss so far!

I've had my weigh in and lost 7lbs in my first week. So I'm feeling very positive. :)

Hello everyone,

I haven't been on here for a very long time. I recently re-joined Slimming World, I have around 9 stone to lose. So it feels like a pretty big task ahead.

I was wondering if there's anyone else on here who had a total thyroidectomy, or an underactive thyroid, and has been on SW? How difficult or easy did you find it to lose weight?

Thanks
TrickyNicky
Hi how are you doing now? I had a total thyroidectomy and thinking of slimming world.

Hello everyone,

Thanks
TrickyNicky
I am going to go back to slimming wirld.
Once you understand the plan it is easy. You just have to stick to it but it isn t ultra strict.
Good luck
Faye

Back