Slimming World Awards Ceremony

I went to the Slimming World Awards Ceremony last night in Birmingham. It was a great night! Everyone really dresses up for the occasion - there were some fantastic dresses and loads of bling!

The celebrity guest was Vernon Kay - I didn't really know what he would be like as I have never seen him on television, but he was fantastic. The consultants met him in the afternoon, and all the ones I spoke to thought he was wonderful.

The ceremony was the usual slightly strange mix of cheesy and inspirational. There was a speech from Margaret Miles-Bramwell, then all the awards, then dinner (definitely not syn-free!) and then music and dancing. The band was called Fully Funktional and were very good (and very loud!), and before that we had a great routine from the dance group Flawless who had been on Britain's Got Talent, and before that a short routine from Jess Conrad about which the least said the better!

The awards started with a run through of all the finalists for Woman of the Year - a short film about each one, and then each one came onto the stage with her consultant and talked to Vernon Kay.

Then they gave out all the other awards - Miss Slinky, Mr & Mrs SW, Greatest Loser, etc. Man of the Year was Roberto Enrieu, who was last year's Greatest Loser. He had lost even more weight and looked amazing - in total he has lost TWENTY-FIVE STONE!!!! This year's Greatest Loser has lost 17st 4lb.

Then they announced the Woman of the Year - and it was Rebecca Wheatley, who you may remember from playing Amy the receptionist in Casualty. She has lost half her body weight, going from 24 and a half stone to just over 12 stone. She was quite unrecognisable from her Casualty days.

The dancing finished at 1 a.m. and we all wandered back to our hotels. The route back to our hotel took us past several clubs which were heaving with young people. We were chatted up as we steered our way through the crowds, and I got invited to a club by a young man who seemed quite disappointed when I said no. Either he was very short-sighted, or very drunk, or at nearly 62 I haven't quite lost it yet!!! (I don't want you to tell me which, thanks all the same!)

All in all, a great night out.

Sounds like a fantastic night! Love Vernon xx

That must have been a fantastic evening.
I love Vernon and would love such an evening.
I am so glad you enjoyed yourself.

My SWC was there too - has been for the past 3 years and buys a new ballgown for each occasion! Puts her photo's with MMB on the table at class for all to see!

Wow!! Jelousy!!! - i would have got to go had i won the YSOTY comp, my consultant had been before with a woman who was put through for woman of the year, and she said it was fab!!!

How cool about vernon kay, he is great.. AND you got to see flawless, i thought they were amazing on Britains Got Talent!

I'm suprised the food wasnt syn free LOL!

How fantastic for you, thanks for sharing!! xxxxxxxxxxxx

I loved reading that, thanks for posting it. I'm glad you had a lovely time xx

I'm with FernXx - surprised the food wasn't syn free!

My sister is a consultant and she always invites me to go with her. Her daughter came too. I have some great photos - I am hoping to blackmail my sister with some of them!!

The food is always good, but is not SW food. This time we had a filo tart with tomato and cheese filling, with a mozzarella and tomato salad, then chicken stuffed with mushrooms, leeks, cabbage, potatoes. The veggies could have griddled aubergine, mushroom and truffle essence paupiettes with spiced tomato sauce. The pudding was called a baked alaska, but it wasn't really. Quite nice but not a patch on the puddings in previous years.

There was a red theme because of SW's ruby anniversary, and there were lots of red outfits. We had pink champagne when we arrived - at least some of us did! This was the only bad piece of organisation of the whole evening - not enough champagne glasses!! Staff were standing around with bottles with nothing to pour them into.

On the table there were little red heart shaped tins with tiny heart shaped mints inside, really pretty.

Ooooh jealous! Sounds a fantastic evening - glad you had a good time (but shame about the champagne!)

Thanks for the write up! I'd love to go one year.

My SWC so called it, she said she reckoned Rebecca would win!

Slimming world awards

Hi Avisk

I was also @ the awards on saturday. Not sure if you saw me i was one of the guys @ the front of the stage drssed as a butler.

Regards
Marcus

Last edited by a moderator:
OH MY GOD!! I don't recognise her!!!!!

I got her DVD when I reached 16 and a half stone. I can't do it anymore, i'm too 'fit'. Me!!!

Was it good Vixxster? Thinking of trying it.

Glad you had a fab time.

MY SWC went and said it was a great night and that Vernon is lovely!

(i really, really, really like him LOL)

Back