slimming world for a fussy eater?

laurenxx23

i am quite fussy when it comes to fruit and veg. am i going to be able to do slimming world?
sounds so stupid but i have been on weight watchers and i cant pretty much eat anything i want - meaning it didnt work lol!
i just need to know if slimming world will be a good idea for me to join!
thanks x

Hi laurenxx23. When it comes to fussiness I have the tee shirt for that!!! Dont like salad, cant eat mixed veg so find ee plan on s w difficult. However, I do like fruit. I have been doing S W for 17 months and lost 2.5 stone, been at target since July last year so it does work even if yr fussy. I have done this with the red and green plans, if you like fruit and veg this really helps with these plans, but they are not essential, it can be done! Hope this helps.

i like apples, mushrooms, carrots and potatoes! oh god that's it! i thought i liked more! i like the flavours of loads of things but its the texture :/

If you really want to overcome the fussiness it is possible and this might be the perfect opportunity. I know because I've done it myself lol

Fruit and veg are an essential part of any healthy diet so it really is worth persevering. I don't know your personal circumstances but if or when you have kids you also need to think about the example you are setting them. The thing you have with texture is very much a young child's issue in that they like smooth bland foods, think of baby food. I might get flamed for this but it really is learned behaviour and can be unlearned.

You can start by blending vegetables (not fruit though as they would be synned) to put in soups and stuff like pasta sauces or curries. Passata is sieved tomatoes and just like tomato sauce - you can use this in loads of dishes. There is a recipe on here for a chinese curry sauce that's made by blending cauliflower - sounds disgusting I know but you really can't tell it's vegetables and it makes a great curry

Then move to very fine veggies - Aunt Bessie does a bag of fine cut veg that you put in dishes and you won't even realise it is there. Grating them is also a good option. You can gradually introduce more variety and larger pieces. It's not going to change overnight but by repeatedly exposing yourself to them rather than just saying 'I don't like them' you can make a real difference.

Start with the things you like and make small steps to something similar eg sweet potato instead of ordinary potato. Have a very small amount instead of a plateful that would be overwhelming. Don't just try once and decide you don't like something - it can take many times to overcome that childhood programming. Cooking with the veggies yourself can also make it easier as you become more familiar with them, the texture and smells etc.

You might not end up liking all fruit and veg but that's okay as we all have personal preferences. But there are so many different fruit and veg out there and so many different ways to cook and serve them that you will end up with a much wider choice if you really want to :)

Last edited:
I am very fussy too when it comes to veggies and fruit, I was wondering the same thing too. I can only really eat peas carrots, potatoes, onions, brocolli, cauliflower, red pepper (this is a recent one that I've suddenly liked) and I do love sprouts and not just at christmas time. lol As for fruit it is apples, bananas and grapes. I find a lot of fruit tastes are too sweet for me. As for veggies it is the texture, I have a severe aversion to sweetcorn, I can't be in the same room as it without throwing up.

Hi
I'm a fussy eater as well - hate all fruit apart from the odd apple and blueberries and the only veg that I will eat are parnips, spinach, potatoes and swede! I also use to do WW and lost the majority of my weight with this plan but found that when the ProPoints was introduced I started to struggle. I joined SW thinking that it wouldn't be for me and that I would find it a challenge but I love it! I do Green days and fill up with loads of pasta, lentils, noodles, SW chips etc and just adapt the recipes in the SW mag to fit in with what I eat. I do tend to eat a lot of the same things, but being so fussy I'm use to this!! I told my consultant at the start and she said that I wasn't alone at all - makes me feel much better knowing I'm not the only one that is a veg hater! Deffo worth giving it a go!

I'm fussy too, fruit wise I eat apple and pineapple, veg wise it's potatoes, lettuce, carrot, broccoli, cauliflower, peas and parsnips (although to be fair I only ever seem to eat parsnips at xmas and only then if they're all crispy and fatty so kind of rules them out now and broccoli, cauliflower and peas with a roast) I tend to add veg to sauces these days to disguise the taste and will happily add onions, peppers, carrots, celery, mushrooms to a bolognaise sauce, sometimes courgette and aubergine too but not huge great chunks of it, like you I'm not a lover of the texture of veg so chopping them up really small or blending them works far better for me.

It's a pain really as I can't fill up as much as other people might do or just sit there and eat a salad - who wants to sit and eat a bowl of lettuce and grated carrot every day after all!?! But I lost 4 stone in 4 months on the plan when I was doing it before so even being a fussy moo it still worked, so hopefully it will do for you too! Good Luck!

So there you go, fussinessness galore and we all still lost weight ha ha! And you will too, some very intresting comments here :)

I used to be fussy and as Puss says, it was from my upbringing. My dad doesnt eat anything green and therefore i had no issue having a sunday lunch with baked beans instead of veggies! now, i love to try new ones. Dont get me wrong i dont LOVE all veg and fruit - and tend to eat what i like, but i must say i try to jazz it up a bit.

I would try a new one each week - see how you find it and hopefully you will surprise yourself. x

First time I did SW I wouldn't eat any veg, and very minimal fruit. I still lost 3 stone but it was slow progress. But I kinda of desensitized myself into eating some veg, but I won't eat it if its soft, and I still only like a few things but i'm better than I was before. Fruit, I will eat anything now if its hard, don't like squishy stuff. But I still can't desensitize myself into tolerating potatoes, can't stand the texture, makes me gag. But yes, you can do it even if you are very fussy, but it will be slow progress and you will get bored of stuff you will eat fast.

Back