Slimming world not working for everyone?

raquelscatt

Do you believe, not all diets suit everyone, in this case sw?

I have been doing sw for 18 months and have struggled to lose nearly 3 stone. Ok, there are weeks and holidays where I can admit to why I gain weight or sts, but generally, I stick to plan 95-100% but still can't shift the weight.

Even my consultant agrees my food diaries are fine and sees no reason in those why I shouldn't be shifting atleast 1lb a week. Having still got about 5 stones to lose,I would love to lose a lb week!! I do a mix between red,green,ee and even sucess express and eat a variety of foods but nothing is working. Recently I had my thyroid checked and that all came back fine so medically there doesn't seem to be an underlying reason for me not to succeed.

I have got to the point now that its really getting to me and I can't laugh it off anymore, I am getting very upset and feel sw is ruling my life. However, if I didn't follow sw, or the group which I love, I would miss it and wouldn't know what to do (I would eat crap, I know I would!) Overall since October, I have lost 4lbs :rolleyes:

I am beginning to think that not all diets suit everyone, does anyone else have any views on this and had better results following alternative plans? I would love a different perspective on this as my consultant is sure that sw does work for everyone, but I am saying clearly not!

Have you been exercising aswell? If so what kind of exercise do you do?

Not all diets suit everyone but there could still be other reasons your not losing. Are you making sure you drink enough? Are you exercising enough/doing too much exercise?

No, I stopped the exercise as I continued to gain on a weekly basis with it! Its something I often think I should do tho!

No, I stopped the exercise as I continued to gain on a weekly basis with it! Its something I often think I should do tho!

My body has to have exercise and regardless of how good the plan is I know it wouldn't work for me if I didn't exercise. I could be 100% on plan and do everything right but it simply wouldn't shift if I didn't commit to working out. I am now in my 5th week of the Body Magic Gold challenge and average at about 2lbs a week. You will notice such a massive difference if you incorporate it into your life and setting yourself a Body Magic challenge is a great way to make the commitment and actually follow through with it. You don't have to go to the gym, I choose to power walk and then go hiking at the weekends.

I found that I gained when I exercised but wasn't drinking enough water so I changed my habits and on the day I'd exercise I would drink at least a litre during the day before exercising, usually 500ml-1litre while exercising and at least a litre during the rest of the evening afterwards, always water and this would be on top of any teas coffess etc. When I started this I would lose 3lbs a week with exercise every week. I'm not saying this is the answer for you just what worked for me and maybe something to think about.

agree with drinking more water. also what are your portion sizes like? u may be eating the right things but may benefit by cutting down portion sizes or even eating more if your not eating enough.

how many syns do u have on average? my mum cant go over 10 but has to eat atleast 7.

Do you do a different day every day? Is it worth maybe trying a full week of EE then a week of red and a week of green? Some people find that they lose more on EE and other swear by restricting the carbs like on a red day. I also agree that maybe you need to look at your portion sizes. What do you use your syns on, you do need to have some syns everyday. Are you saving syns? This doesn't work for everybody.

Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and are weighing and measuring everything you need to and checking all syn values before you eat. I know sometimes it's easy to think you know the plan but sometimes little things can creep in that make a difference. Don't be too down on yourself you have done fantastic so far. Read your books and start afresh. Let us know how you get on.

Realistically though it is working for you, 3 stone in 18 months is a good loss, especially if you've had weeks when you've not stuck to plan/holidays etc,

I get in the same situation where for 6 months I lost nothing then started exercising and then it started up again, it took about 4 weeks of exercising for the scales to start moving while my body settled into the exercising.

If you think about how long it took the weight to get there in the first place is it realistic to expect it to come off quickly, slow and steady wins the race

keep going and don't lose the faith x

Even though I always say I have measured by HE when asked at meetings that I haven't lost; this week I have really gone back to basics. It turned out that I was having at east 5.5syns on cheese/milk in addition to my HEA which before I was classing as my HEA if that makes sense! Well 38.5 syns extra alone on just millk/cheese on top of my syns probably is the reason why my weight loss isn't quick! It sucks but being really honest with myself will hopefull show on the scales on Tuesday (saying that, if it doesn't I will cry!!!!!). Might be worth doing a hardcore back to basics week and go from there; I even synned my cough medicine last night!!! 1.5syns which could have been spent on chocolate!hehe

but generally, I stick to plan 95-100% but still can't shift the weight.
I think you've found the answer unintentionally in this statement! For SW to work for me, I have to stick to it 100% every day! I have been 100% on plan since I started 19 months ago.
If you are not 100% on plan, you are not going to get the most out if it. Pledge a whole week of 100% days and let nothing get in your way.

I think you've found the answer unintentionally in this statement! For SW to work for me, I have to stick to it 100% every day! I have been 100% on plan since I started 19 months ago.
If you are not 100% on plan, you are not going to get the most out if it. Pledge a whole week of 100% days and let nothing get in your way.

I think your right, I have been 100% since day 1 and although I am obviously settling own in my losses I'm still keeping it 100% and to boost it I'm starting to excessive more every little helps, said the man. :)

100% on plan for eighteen months. I did about six to seven months on 100% on plan. Now I hardly ever stick 100%. But I am really eating to stay the same.

Back