Slimming world online, is it worth it?

Honeyoc

Is a crunchy mama!
I've been considering joining SW online (food optimising) because it's been hard making it to meetings with my baby. I just wanted to know if it would be worth it. It's the same price as going to meetings so that's not really an issue but I wonder what you get.... Are there any online members to advise? SW is far behind WW in terms of interactive tools so I wonder if it would be a waste of money/time to join. I mainly need it to find info on healthy extras and syns. Should I just buy a food directory instead?

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

In that you are already v familiar with the plan I'm not sure that it's worth it for you. I've been a member for over a year and don't really use anything on the site apart from syns online and occasionally the calculator, but that's just me. Obviously there are full details of healthy extras, free foods and the different plans, there is also a food diary you can fill in, loads of recipes but no online / one to one support, advisors or forums - you're better off here for that tbh! For me it's been just what I need, it's given me the information and I've got on with it but I know the lack of support and interactive features aren't for everybody. Btw, the cost is usually less if you renew after your initial subscription. I currently pay £15 per month. Good luck whatever you decide x

Hi. In the woman diet special there is a voucher for free online membership. If you type in 'woman0511' on registration you get £34.95 off. Might be worth trying it free before you decide if its worth paying for
sue

Last edited:
Oh nooooooooo I already subscribed!! Blast! LOL oh well, thanks so much for sharing though.

Personally don't think it is worth the money if you already know the plan, most info you can get on mini's anyway with things like syn values.When I did it online last a lot of the newer products were not available to find out the synage. The only thing that it is worth is that you can buy the books and possiable the ceral bars (not sure though) but then there is google and a lot of recipes you can adapt to make it SW friendly.

Hi, I was thinking about joining the online version but the comments about support and the huge amount of resource available from this site and its lovely members are edging me to the view that it isn't really necessary. Are there any other downsides to not joining online apart from those mentioned do you think?

I joined online as working shifts I can't get to the meeting just 5 mins from my house. It is a shame that we can't go to out local meetings with online memberships as I think (correct me if wrong) that group members get passwords to online access. The site is a little complicated as it doesn't really tell you what to do, all the red days green days free etc etc etc is a minefield and nor really explained online which is why I joined this forum to get answers to the questions that SW online doesn't answer. It is not worth the £60 I paid and I struggle to see the benefit of extending my online membership. I use the online for food diary and syn points but I'm sure after a few days /meals you get the idea of what you can eat and you know your under your allowance without having t look it up online. I generally know what snacks I can have and have syn values written on my food packaging in my kitchen.
All this said if I lose weight then the £60 is a bargain :)

In the end I joined because I wanted somewhere to refer to for syns and healthy extras. It's easy to calculate syns using the 20:1 formula but that all goes out the window when the food item has a free food component. I also wanted somewhere to record my weight and watch the awards accumulate and the weight loss graph go down! I know, I know... Lol!

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

In the end I joined because I wanted somewhere to refer to for syns and healthy extras. It's easy to calculate syns using the 20:1 formula but that all goes out the window when the food item has a free food component. I also wanted somewhere to record my weight and watch the awards accumulate and the weight loss graph go down! I know, I know... Lol!

That's basically the reason I keep subscribing! I like the info to be there if I want it and so far it's worked for me to be a member. I'm worried that if I stop my membership it could all go wrong, maybe subliminally (sp?) it's keeping me on track! Hope you're happy with your decision x

Yes I am pretty happy lol, the site is a lot better than I expected and all the obscure syns I was looking for were all there. I **HATE** the food diary and will not be using it lol. I'd rather update my food diary here. I also don't really intend to use the recipes as I just adapt my fave recipes to be SW friendly anyway but it's still a good resource and costs no more than attending meetings anyway so it's all good :D

Ryantcb the formula for calculating syns is basically 1 syn = 20 calories but only if there are no free foods in the food, i.e. chocolate, white bread etc.

Thanks for that be very helpful when out and about. Wish they would hurry up an make an App that allows to to find sin value on a smartphone when I'm out of the house.

Sent from my iPad2 using MiniMins

Not worth paying as a standalone imo. I get it because it is included with membership at group and I am free as a target member.

I use it mainly to fill in the weight each week.

Not much else.

Just my two cents worth.

Steve

Hi. In the woman diet special there is a voucher for free online membership. If you type in 'woman0511' on registration you get £34.95 off. Might be worth trying it free before you decide if its worth paying for
sue

You don't actually get £35 off though - you get £15 off the already discounted price on the website. So instead of £60 (reduced from £80) it would be £45.

i aid for online too. i find it helps me cos im paying money out so makes me more motivated to lose the weight. the only thing i dont like is that there is no support if u need help, motivation etc thats why ive joined here. other than that i like it cos it fits in with my back problems as couldnt get to classes every week and the consultant wasnt understanding and i didnt like having to pay when i couldnt get there because of my back.

I do slimming world online as I work full time and my time with my little boy in the evenings is to precious to miss out on. In the past I have gone to groups but it wasn't really for me. I quite like online, I use the syns online and fit log, I like weighing in, entering my weight each week and seeing the graph plotting my (hopefully downward!) progress. I also like browsing the success stories when I'm feeling a bit low, they do help to keep me on track. I don't find the online food diary helpful (but you can print off a paper one), and I do wish it had a forum (hence me joining here!). It does get cheaper as you renew, and you get a discount on the magazine. So overall for me, I'll be sticking with it.

I'm glad I found this thread! I've been debating whether to join online or not. I used to go to a group but since I had my baby I've been suffering with a lot of panic attacks and anxiety. My group is only 5 mins away but even that small journey stresses me out at the moment. As someone else said, you have to pay whether you can get to group or not and I didn't want to have to pay something like 3 weeks of fees because my anxiety went through a bad patch and I couldn't leave the house!

Is it the same website that you use when you're a group member? The slimmingworld.co.uk or whatever with the student section and so on?

I would love to be able to go back to group just for the motivation of other people (although get that here!) and syn values. Plus my scales don't work so I've been weighing on the wii, so did like having a real weigh in.

Back