Slimming world or weight watchers???

slimfor40 said:
Hi
I've done both and for me I prefer WW because I feel it helps me with portion sizes so I'm not greedy anymore and I also feel I have more variety. Eg I love coco pops that would be 5/6 of my syns on SW where as WW it's 3pp for 30g I love WW quiche too and hate SW syn free quiche but too many syns to use for a normal one.

SW makes me feel like like I'm losing out and I eat too much!

WW is really easy to follow especially if you have WW app to log everything.

It's all personal choice and lifestyle tho to be honest and only you can make the decision.

Good luck
:) x

I couldnt agree more. I did SW earlier this year, only because my work colleague and I were at the heaviest we'd been in years and she persuaded me to give it a go, at least for 6 weeks. She loves SW and I dont!! I remained very sceptical because I personally don't agree with the diet/principles (that's just me and it's just my own personal opinion) even though the NHS back SW's diet plan. I'm a District Nurse too!! I don't agree with eating unlimited red meat, eggs etc nor the advocacy of eating mammoth portions. I also felt physically sick at some of the recipes members were producing such as couscous/Smash pancakes cake blah blah blah! I only lost 9lbs in the six weeks and felt the loss was slow. I know there is no quick fix solution but it really felt slow. I also couldn't bear having a restricted group of foods-the bread restriction was a biggie.

Three years ago, I lost 3stone on WW-I loved it but out of the blue, I faced very dire personal circumstances and I lost the plot with my healthy eating. I was drinking wine to deal with the stress and lo and behold, three years on, I'd regained the weight and more!! My life's settled down now and after my 6 week subscription to SW ended, I joined WW at the beginning of June. I've lost 1st 6lbs since. I think WW is a fantastic diet; it's so flexible, nothing is banned and to be fair, like SW and most sensible diets, it really teaches you to focus on fruits and veg. Oh, that's another thing about SW I hated-you'd have to syn for smoothies, cooked fruit etc which I found difficult.

Good luck anyway!! xx

This thread is very interesting. I have been doing SW for just over a year and have found the plan easy to stick to. I don't think I would be able to count PP, but from what I've seen of the Filling & Healthy plan, that looks very doable. having said that, a friend of mine has lost anout the same weight as me in the same time counting PP so obviously both plans work. I know that SW is often criticised for not giving thought to portion control, and that used to be true in the past but now there is more emphasis on eating just to satisfy your appetite, and not until you burst. I do agree though that there are some horrendous SW recipes out there, like couscous cake and Smash pizza etc I've never bothered with these and have always used my syns on a small portion of the real thing, rather than trying to fake it with other ingredients!

This thread is very interesting. I have been doing SW for just over a year and have found the plan easy to stick to. I don't think I would be able to count PP, but from what I've seen of the Filling & Healthy plan, that looks very doable. having said that, a friend of mine has lost anout the same weight as me in the same time counting PP so obviously both plans work. I know that SW is often criticised for not giving thought to portion control, and that used to be true in the past but now there is more emphasis on eating just to satisfy your appetite, and not until you burst. I do agree though that there are some horrendous SW recipes out there, like couscous cake and Smash pizza etc I've never bothered with these and have always used my syns on a small portion of the real thing, rather than trying to fake it with other ingredients!

One good tip I did learn from bizarre SW recipes is using cottage cheese as a topping for things like quiche, cottage pie, lasagne, etc. I can't eat regular cheese but am fine with cottage cheese so I find this great :)

This has been interesting reading for me today as really struggling with this decision. The problem for me is i prefer the weight watchers diet but prefer the slimming world meetings and things like slimmer of the week.

fraggle1805 said:
This has been interesting reading for me today as really struggling with this decision. The problem for me is i prefer the weight watchers diet but prefer the slimming world meetings and things like slimmer of the week.

The thing is-what's more important? Following an eating plan which you said you prefer or getting stickers ONLY if you lose the most that week. Stickers don't make you lose weight-a well balanced diet does. You still get little stars every time you lose 7lb at WW. Does it really matter? Sorry, not trying to sound cheeky, although I'm sure it reads that way, but if it were me, I'd be going for the most preferred eating plan.

I completely get your point but motivation is lacking at the min and I need the meetings to help and in the past I found the ww meetings useless!

fraggle1805 said:
I completely get your point but motivation is lacking at the min and I need the meetings to help and in the past I found the ww meetings useless!

I totally get what you're saying and it sounds like you need that social support/everyone's in it together etc. Ohhh, wished I could help you more. Post what you decide to do! I'm genuinely interested and look forward to hearing your choice! Xx

safc said:
I like WW. I have said previously BUT now I have a dilema. My dr has referred me to SW for 12 weeks free. They say that it is the most healthy plan. I am on a tight budget. I am now thinking 'well its free and the dr has referred me I should go'. What to do! X

I found SW really expensive in terms of my shopping bills. Why not give SW a go for 12 weeks then review how you feel? 12 weeks is a good trial period- maybe that would help you then decide what you want to do?!! x

Have tried it in the past and found it more expensive. All the cooking aswell. I dont mind cooking but not all the time. Then there is the cooked fruit and the bread issue. No not for me. Have had a good think. I managing quite well on ww so will stay on ww. Best of luck and thank you. X

Last edited:
I was always a SW advocate, I lost 4 stone on red/green days a few years back (although I didn't reach target) & then I decided I needed to lose the rest - luckily I had only gained 4lbs in 3 years, so I guess it must have taught me something!! Haha ;)

I then went back early this year & tried EE to lose the rest - I lost 7lbs over 10 weeks & it just seemed a massive struggle. I then went on holiday & gained it almost all back! And just couldn't lose it :(

I just couldn't be doing with the planning, I've gone back to working full time & I'm manically busy enjoying my life, plus I love eating out!! :D

So I joined WW online - so far I'm losing 1-1.5lbs a week & I'm not hungry, I'm not stressing over what I can & can't eat & if I feel like a curry/Chinese/pizza I can have one & still lose! It makes seeing friends & family less stressful (I was using my IBS as an excuse to avoid eating with people to avoid comments) & above all else I'm happy! :) The app is amazing - I've previously used MFP & counting everything straight away helps me greatly & I'm learning portion control.

I think different diets suit different lifestyles at different times of life! It's finding what one works for you NOW (I don't mean swap & change constantly but what suited you in the past may not fit now :))

Sorry to waffle on!!

Charli XxX

safc said:
Thanks charli. You werent waffling. It made sense. Thanks again.
I think sometimes you know the answer to a question but need to hear it from someone else.
The very best of luck to everyone. X

I know exactly what you mean ;) Good luck to you too, you know you can do it :D

Charli XxX

safc said:
Thanks charli. You werent waffling. It made sense. Thanks again.
I think sometimes you know the answer to a question but need to hear it from someone else.
The very best of luck to everyone. X

Good luck! Loving your wee dog pic! I've not attained royalty status on the forum to have a pic!!

Good luck everyone with your weigh ins this week.

I'm at Gatwick airport awaiting flight :)

I lost 1lb this week and reached 1.5stone yay

Speak in 2 weeks

Some times I do the sw recipes snd point them. Usually they are low points and have some good stuff to eat!! X

vadey said:
Some times I do the sw recipes snd point them. Usually they are low points and have some good stuff to eat!! X

Same!! Some amazing recipes, great curries & the SW chips are a life saver ;)

Charli XxX

Back