Slimming world or ww?

I have tried WW for so long now. Was ok until it changed to ProPoints. It is so time consuming working out each individual points value. I hate counting and am hoping that SW is the way forward. I will only have to count to 1 or 2 then only 15 for the syns, its doesn't seem like rocket science. Here's hoping that we can all have steady weight losses and the most important bit is to keep it off. Last party tonight then it's D Day tomorrow. Good luck all.

Lost 5 stone with WW and have managed to keep it off. At the moment I am about 9lbs over my goal weight but to be honest I think SW makes u each more healthier. I found when you have to weigh food eg pasta you knew exactly how much to eat, if you can control your portions which is a learning game with SW then it is the way forward. Doing SW at the moment at home because when I was attending WW six years ago all fruit was pointed.

From a psychological point of view, SW works far better for me than WW did, simply because with SW there never comes a point when you have to say "I've had my allowance of food for the day." With WW, once you've eaten your ProPoints, that's it. With SW, there's always something more you could eat and still be on plan. Just knowing that makes me stick to it. Having said that, I do exercise portion control and I only do Green days. I know the plan says I could eat loads of pasta and potatoes etc but I eat only until I'm full and have had good losses so far.

I have never done ww and dont ever want to to be honest from what I have read and heard. I dont like the idea of counting and measuring everything, I dont like the idea of ready meals, and I dont like the idea of having to use the rest of yr points up on rubbish. I also dont like the idea of W W setting your target. Soooo for me its S W all the way. Been doing it for just about 12 months and got to target after 6 months so have maintained for about 6 months. Its become a way of life not a diet, and I dont think about my shopping trolley now. The low fat yoghurts, the skimmed milk, the copious amount of fruit and veg, the fry light, the lean meat and fish - just second nature. S W rocks!

I like SW for the reasons that everyone has been mentioning in the above posts. Initially you eat a lot then your appetite naturally reduce as you are not eating just for sake of eating. Also you know you can have more on days that you need it. It is healthy with eating lots of fruits and veg. I love it.

I dont like the idea of counting and measuring everything, I dont like the idea of ready meals, and I dont like the idea of having to use the rest of yr points up on rubbish. I also dont like the idea of W W setting your target.

You don't have to count and measure everything

You don't have to eat ready meals

You don't have to use the rest of your points on rubbish

There are lots of misconceptions about WW just as there are about SW - just saying :)

For me, I really think you've all hit the nail on the head as to why I found sw hard going previously. I think that the portion control I had was pretty much non-existent! The diet said potatoes and pasta are "free foods on green days" - so I took it to heart, checked my brain in at the door and stocked up far to much on the carbs at the expense of the fruit and veg. Sounds ridiculous when you say it out loud - but I fell into that trap quite happily!

I am a SW girl through and through and have been for many years. However, when I want portion control I do swap over to WW. I tend to eat the same foods as when im on SW but I obviously have to weigh them when on WW and because of that limit, I find I eat more vegetables ( that dont need to be weighed) in order to fill my plate up.
So, for me, WW works when I feel I'm just eating too much food (and maybe not enough veg)on SW!
I guess it's all in the mind and really depends on how I'm feeling.

Yeah I think this will be the way I will be doing things in the future. If I'm struggling with portion control I'll do a week on the old weightwatchers points plan (as it was the strictest) and i'll be able to have some white bread without guilt :p. Its all about finding what suits you. I love slimming world but sometimes I need a change, keeps my body guessing and my mind active :)

I've done both and think they're both good. Have never done WW since Propoints came in though. I love the no weighing part of SW - I felt "free" when I first did it, if that makes sense - I'd spent years weighing and measuring nearly everything.

I tried SW years ago but hated red/green but now love EE

BUT ww teaches you about portion sizes/control so really glad I've done that one too.

Theres never going to be a "one size fits all" eating plan - just what suits you.

Good luck with whatever you decide on

Also on EE you cant just fill up on carbs because of the 1/3 superfree rule

I've done both in the past and lost similar amounts of weight (2-3 stone) with each. And to be honest, I ate very similar things on both plans too. Most fruit and veg are free on WW now, so as on SW, I filled up on that, and free foods like lean meat, fish and 'good' carbs are also 'good value' points wise on WW so there is an incentive to eat them if you want to be satisfied, even though some will chose higher point stuff sometimes as well. I suppose it comes down to your personality - do you want to chose from a wider range of foods, but have less of them and have to weigh everything, or do you want more freedom to eat until content, but from a limited choice of healthy foods? People's answer to that will be different, but it is horses for courses - both work, ultimately, by limiting calorie intake and encouraging exercise. It is just how you think about that that is different. Good luck, whatever you decide!

I've not tried WW but I have tried other diets but ultimately SW is the one I like. I find the EE plan very flexible and I've never yet been hungry...a big thing for me is not to feel hunger.

I seem to be eating loads now...all healthy with decent portions and it works for me...not had a gain since I joined SW in September. ;)

S W used to say "pile yr plate high" but now they say "eat till yr satisfied and no weighing". Sends a different message I think;););)

Hi Holly's Nan, I see you have been maintaining since July.....just wondered how you are doing this. Do you keep to the plan and allow yourself more syns etc?

Hi Josiecat, well when I reached target my c told me not to increase syns but to increase h e's week by week until I was maintaining. But with Christmas and one thing and another I do what I didnt used to do when losing and bob on the scales at home to see how I am doing. When yr at target you dont have to go to W I every week, just about once every three or so but I am a member of the social team so I do w in every week.I keep a check mid week at home because if you go more than 3lbs above or below yr target you have to start paying. You have one weeks grace so I am keeping a close eye on things. This week I was actually 2.5lbs lower than my target band and was a bit worried so have been having loads of syns. Maintaining hasnt been easy to be honest! Its just a matter of keeping an eye on my weight and eating more or going back strickly on plan if I put on a little too much. That only happened once, after a weeks hol A I to Turkey, but was just in the band!!!Phew what a tale, are you near to target then?

Weight watchers is just calorie counting with free fruit and veg thrown in. If you have only a couple of stones to lose you will be given 29 daily pro points which = 1160 calories a day and then you have 49 pro points for the week which = 1960 calories So your total daily calorie intake is 1440 calories plus your fruit and veg. There is no magic formula with WW. Slimming world also give you an extra calorie allowance each day and free fruit and veg but this is on top of any amount of mainly unprocessed foods or foods that need to be cooked eg such as meat fish potatoes, rice pasta, lentils etc. If you are happy weighing and measuring everything then just do calorie counting and save your money. If however you like cooking and don't have time to weigh and measure everything then SW could be a better choice as you only have to weigh a limited amounts of foods. WW gives you more freedom but smaller portions and Sw gives you less freedom but vast amounts of foods. When I say less freedom I mean you can't walk into a supermarket pick up a meal and readily be able to work out the syns (SW) but you can easily work out the points (WW)

Back