slimming world v weight watchers

Hi chubby witch :) just my take on SW - I think it's an amazing plan and it's very healthy and nutritious if you follow it correctly. There's a huge amount of "free" food you can have daily with a small daily allowance for choc , wine or whatever's your poison. I found it to work very well with my family - DH and 3 young DDs - in fact they loved the recipes ! You do have to cook from scratch your meals so if that's not your thing - forget it. Ready meals and frozen processed stuff is not compatible with SW. IMO that's a good thing though. I'm able to spend 45-1hr cooking as I'm a housewife but wouldn't want to do that if I was working till 6 every day. I lost 17lb over 4 months or so but all of a sudden , despite following the plan 100%, I just stopped losing any more weight ! Very frustrating as I really loved SW. My leader suggested fast forward for a week which was a very low cal, set diet with no syns allowed or free food which was really tough but I lost 4lb. I'd hoped it would kick start my loss again but when I went back on plan I never lost another gram ! I left and went to WW and I'm happy doing that - online, can eat more freely and I feel it educates your body re portion control better, it's horses for courses - both clubs have their pros and cons x

Thats a good point about the cooking, most of it you do need to cook from scratch. I work full time so bought a slow cooker which is a life saver I cook casseroles, stews, chillis, bolognese, joints in it or I do a lot of batch cooking at the weekend and freeze individual portions, that really helps as well.

I've been following SW for 3.5 years now and reached target after less than a year. My weight has been up and down a bit in that time but when you stick to the plan 100% then it really works. I've been in target range for the last 6 months or so, including being on holiday for nearly 3 weeks over Christmas/New year.

I don't regularly exercise but do the Wii Fit when I think about it and walk when I'm on holiday but that's about it.

Denise

I've done both. SW is by far the healthier option. In my opinion ww advocates convenience over nutritional value and all their branded snacks do nothing for attitude towards food and snacking (something many of us struggle with).

Sw emphasis is on fresh unadulterated foods for the main part. It requires some planning and forethought but with a little of this you go a long way. My whole family eats better because I'm on SW and I have a little one too. It's not faddy nor is it a diet, its a way of viewing food that, if it clicks with you, will stay for life.

I've also followed both plans and, since discovering SW, wouldn't touch WW with a barge pole!

Some people prefer the convenience of WW but I prefer the freedom an health benefits that SW give you.

I agree Capri_Gal - when I did WW I ate rubbish and very little fruit or veg other than in recipes I was cooking - one of things I love about SW is that its "forced" me to start eating more fruit and veg which I love now.

Bear in mind, anyone who is doing WW and is eating a lot of rubbish, that's because they're making poor choices not because they have to. I steer well clear of WW products and cook from scratch with fresh ingredients every day. I'm doing WW now, after having experienced months of SW and I don't eat processed or convenience foods - I eat more than 5 a day plus get my RDA of calcium and fibre.

Bear in mind, anyone who is doing WW and is eating a lot of rubbish, that's because they're making poor choices not because they have to. I steer well clear of WW products and cook from scratch with fresh ingredients every day. I'm doing WW now, after having experienced months of SW and I don't eat processed or convenience foods - I eat more than 5 a day plus get my RDA of calcium and fibre.

Oh I totally agree it was my choice to eat rubbish I guess what I was trying to say that I don't feel I have that choice with SW and thats actually a really good thing for me, my eating habits have completely changed for the better now and thats because of SW.

Lydia I hope my comment didn't sound rude (poor choices - I'm such a teacher / mum lol!) I didn't mean to sound rude - I totally agree, SW does kind of force you to steer clear of rubbish while WW lets you do that, if that's how you choose to spend your points ;-) x

Lydia I hope my comment didn't sound rude (poor choices - I'm such a teacher / mum lol!) I didn't mean to sound rude - I totally agree, SW does kind of force you to steer clear of rubbish while WW lets you do that, if that's how you choose to spend your points ;-) x

No I didn't think you were being rude LOL! :8855:

I have found this thread very interesting.

I did WW online a few years ago and after a while found I was obsessed by pink&whites and cheese&onion crisps. A friend of mine works in a factory that make WW ready meals and says that knowing what goes into them, she wouldn't touch them with a barge pole!

I have done SW twice, getting to target both times. I began to lapse the first time as I didn't like the consultant and found it very cliquey. After a year, and having put almost all the weight back on, I went back to the same group knowing that the consultant and her minions had all left. I have been going for 2 years now, have been at target for over 18 months and have a lovely group of friends. I try and go every week or I know I would lapse.

I have followed Weight Loss ***** for a while. She has done SW to go from over 43 stone to around 25, with another 14 stone to lose. I find her blog interesting and inspirational. Her recipe ideas are great as well.

SW for me!!

They have blocked out part of the Weight Loss lady's name. It's a female dog. On her site she explains why she uses that name. xx

I love that blog and like you find it extremely motivational and interesting.

I fear that is true of a lot of ready meals which is why I very very rarely have them nowadays, I like to see whats going into my meals LOL!

I love that blog and like you find it extremely motivational and interesting.

I fear that is true of a lot of ready meals which is why I very very rarely have them nowadays, I like to see whats going into my meals LOL!

I don't eat ready meals, but my DH has a Morrisons or Aldi curry (the only ones he likes) when I go to WI as I come home a bit late and all he has to do is bung it in the MW after he's cooked the veg I've prepared! I usually have some yummy SW leftovers. BTW he's not got a problem with his weight.

Have you managed to read WLB's blog today? It's not coming up. I particularly like to read it on Wed as she gets weighed on Tues. I found her WI on Twitter in the end.

Found slimming world easier as long as you have prepared. Cold slices of meat, fruit, muller lights, pasta, you can eat lots but sometimes just miss the flexibility of WW!

I don't eat ready meals, but my DH has a Morrisons or Aldi curry (the only ones he likes) when I go to WI as I come home a bit late and all he has to do is bung it in the MW after he's cooked the veg I've prepared! I usually have some yummy SW leftovers. BTW he's not got a problem with his weight.

Have you managed to read WLB's blog today? It's not coming up. I particularly like to read it on Wed as she gets weighed on Tues. I found her WI on Twitter in the end.

Its not on her blog today boooo I will have to find her on Twitter and find out the result :)

I was a member of WW several years ago and lost a lot of weight with the program, BUT the fees were outrageous, and when you have a strict budget like our family does, there's just no way to afford it. That's one of the main reasons I'm looking into joining SW USA online. It's much cheaper.

I did WW online a few years ago and lost 2.5stone. Have put it back on now and just couldn't get back into it. Now on slimming world and enjoying the food and less counting but lets see if it works. I found SW much more expensive than WW though. Online SW is absolutely archaic in comparison to WW.

I did WW online a few years ago and lost 2.5stone. Have put it back on now and just couldn't get back into it. Now on slimming world and enjoying the food and less counting but lets see if it works. I found SW much more expensive than WW though. Online SW is absolutely archaic in comparison to WW.
Keep us posted be interesting to see what you think of it :)

Back