Slimming world without group

Maddie63

Hi I’m trying to do slimming world from home without going to a group. I know the basic concepts of sw as was s group member for a while but decided to do it at home until I lose more weight then go to a group. I’ve been doing it for just over 2 weeks and lost 1.6 kg so far. Does anyone have any tips or books they can recommend? I’ve seen the pinch of nom cookbook but not bought it. Does drinking lots of water help? Does swimming help and weight training in addition to sticking to plan and do people find that going alone from home can be successful. Thanks for any info or tips.

Hi. Sounds like you’re doing well so far.
I’m also doing this alone and not going to group. I started 4 weeks ago and joined here just over a week ago hoping to find support and encouragement.
I've started a diary on here and as part of that I’m posting my daily food diary. I have the first pinch of nom recipe book and have tried a few recipes so far. The book doesn’t list any syns as it’s not an official SW book, but I found them online. I also use Pinterest a lot and find recipes or inspiration on there as well as seeing what other people have posted on here.
Drinking lots definitely helps and I make sure I drink 2 litres every day.
I can’t swim at the moment - I struggle with mobility after a car accident a couple of years ago. I am trying to do more walking, some step aerobics and I got done hand weights I try and use a little each day.
I lost 11lbs in my first 4 weeks. I weigh in tomorrow so hoping for another couple of pounds.

Hi. Sounds like you’re doing well so far.
I’m also doing this alone and not going to group. I started 4 weeks ago and joined here just over a week ago hoping to find support and encouragement.
I've started a diary on here and as part of that I’m posting my daily food diary. I have the first pinch of nom recipe book and have tried a few recipes so far. The book doesn’t list any syns as it’s not an official SW book, but I found them online. I also use Pinterest a lot and find recipes or inspiration on there as well as seeing what other people have posted on here.
Drinking lots definitely helps and I make sure I drink 2 litres every day.
I can’t swim at the moment - I struggle with mobility after a car accident a couple of years ago. I am trying to do more walking, some step aerobics and I got done hand weights I try and use a little each day.
I lost 11lbs in my first 4 weeks. I weigh in tomorrow so hoping for another couple of pounds.
You sound a lot like me I was doing sliming world at a group for about a year then had several health problems and then couldn’t go. Well done you for losing 11 pounds in your first 4 weeks that’s great I hope to keep on track but have just had a pizza tonight st pizza express as one treat. Don’t know your age I’m 56 and am trying to get back to swimming again and am now starting to drink water as I seem to think this will help. If you don’t mind could we keep in touch and maybe buddy up and share our weight loss and ideas we come up with along with recipes. When you say you are weighing in tmr is that at a group or at home. I’m Maddie by the way x

You sound a lot like me I was doing sliming world at a group for about a year then had several health problems and then couldn’t go. Well done you for losing 11 pounds in your first 4 weeks that’s great I hope to keep on track but have just had a pizza tonight st pizza express as one treat. Don’t know your age I’m 56 and am trying to get back to swimming again and am now starting to drink water as I seem to think this will help. If you don’t mind could we keep in touch and maybe buddy up and share our weight loss and ideas we come up with along with recipes. When you say you are weighing in tmr is that at a group or at home. I’m Maddie by the way x
Hi Maddie. I’m 47. I have PCOS and have always struggled with my weight and then piled on even more after my car accident. There’s a link in my signature to my diary - there’s a lot more about me on there.

I’ve never been to a SW group. I did WW around 10 years ago but it wasn’t for me. Chose SW this time as I know people who have had great success with it, but I can’t afford to go to a group at the minute. I may join one if I get stuck. At the minute I weigh myself at home but I try to stick to the same time on a Monday afternoon. It helps me keep accountable and make sure I do it and don’t then skip weighing for another day. Since joining here I post it in my diary and I also post it in thread for weekly weigh ins.

I have a lot to lose but I am determined. I’ve decided that if I have a day where I end up massively off plan I’m not going to feel guilty or beat myself up over it - life is too short and here to be enjoyed - but I will get straight back on plan the next day. In the past when I’ve tried losing weight one ‘bad’ day has led to a bad week or giving up altogether. I am determined not to do that this time. It helps that I now have a very supportive partner who is encouraging me.

Drinking lots of water is definitely helping me. Generally before starting this I wasn’t drinking anywhere near enough. I’m also writing everything down and then updating my diary on here. It helps me stick to it, but I’m also thinking that in the future if I end up plateauing I can look back on a successful week and just repeat it.
Best of luck and I’ll post again tomorrow x

I don’t post on the group I’m quite new to minimins and have so much going on with work and family illness I don’t get time to be honest, even struggle to get organised to cook SW meals im
Ok with breakfast but other meals I struggle with at times also my partner is not doing SW do I try to do a meal he can eat although it’s SW. I am going to start weighing in same time each week after what you said and I bought some scales which I feel are accurate. Im
Going to do a speed veg casserole tonight with chicken I tend to use thighs as like you doing SW can be expensive I like going to group but it’s impossible with my job to ho to same one each week and it’s expensive just to chat and weigh in lol. I see you are following me but I don’t really post on here so are you ok for us to be friends on Facebook then we can message one another if we want ideas and share weight loss. I’m having problems sleeping at mo therefore I’m up early looking at ideas for dinner tonight. I struggle with lunch idea so often skip lunch which I know is not good it’s usually a few seafood stocks or two ryvitas with cottage cheese do you have any better ideas? Not sure where you live I’m in Sussex by the way. Have a good day and will check in with you later. My face book profile is Madeleine Bennett and I have a photo of the air show I think as my profile I don’t go on a lot but do dip in and out when needed. Lovely to chat to you and have s good day x

Hi ladies I am also following from home to. I lost 3st when I was going to group but can no longer go due to work. I have put 8lb back on since I stopped going about 9 weeks ago. Is anybody else finding it harder to stay on plan. I am really struggling with not going to group any help would b appreciated sorry if I have posted in the wrong place I only joined today. Well done to all of you. Kerry x

Hi ladies I am also following from home to. I lost 3st when I was going to group but can no longer go due to work. I have put 8lb back on since I stopped going about 9 weeks ago. Is anybody else finding it harder to stay on plan. I am really struggling with not going to group any help would b appreciated sorry if I have posted in the wrong place I only joined today. Well done to all of you. Kerry x
Hi Kerry

A three stone loss is amazing. I’ve never been to a SW group. My reason for joining here was to have other people to talk to and a way of keeping myself accountable.
I weigh myself at the same time each week and I post it on here - there’s a thread in the SW part of the forum for current members to weigh in each week. I also started my own diary on here - I make sure I enter something every day, even if just my food and syns for the day. That way I’m logging everything and it’s another way of keeping me on track. Other members have also commented on my diary and I’ve found this very supportive and helpful.

That’s what is helping me at the moment but we are all different. What is it you are missing most from going to group and then we can help you try and get that from here.

Hi Kerry

A three stone loss is amazing. I’ve never been to a SW group. My reason for joining here was to have other people to talk to and a way of keeping myself accountable.
I weigh myself at the same time each week and I post it on here - there’s a thread in the SW part of the forum for current members to weigh in each week. I also started my own diary on here - I make sure I enter something every day, even if just my food and syns for the day. That way I’m logging everything and it’s another way of keeping me on track. Other members have also commented on my diary and I’ve found this very supportive and helpful.

That’s what is helping me at the moment but we are all different. What is it you are missing most from going to group and then we can help you try and get that from here.

Hi scarlett thank you for getting back to me I think that I will do a food diary. How do I do one on here do I just do it as a post? I am just struggling with getting back on track in general hun which is so frustrating because I know that I can do it. Hopefully now I have joined here it will get easier. I want to lose 1st when I left group I was 1st 4lbs away from target. I am so glad I joined here from what I have read every1 seems so supportive. You are doing so well x

Thank you.

in the SW part of the forum there are two places you could do this - one section is called food diaries. I’ve put the link to this below

You could do one here and it’s definitely worth having a look at some already on here. The other place you could put this is in with the SW weight loss diaries. Here’s the link:

This is where I started my diary as I wanted it to be a bit more than just recording food, although I have put my food on there every day since I joined.

The thread I’m adding my weekly weigh in to is the link I’m posting below:

I’m finding it very helpful reading about other peoples journeys as well as seeing other food diaries for ideas and all the positive comments.

I’m still new to this site and finding my way around.

Thank you.

in the SW part of the forum there are two places you could do this - one section is called food diaries. I’ve put the link to this below

You could do one here and it’s definitely worth having a look at some already on here. The other place you could put this is in with the SW weight loss diaries. Here’s the link:

This is where I started my diary as I wanted it to be a bit more than just recording food, although I have put my food on there every day since I joined.

The thread I’m adding my weekly weigh in to is the link I’m posting below:

I’m finding it very helpful reading about other peoples journeys as well as seeing other food diaries for ideas and all the positive comments.

I’m still new to this site and finding my way around.
Thank you so much hun I will give it a go I'm feeling a lot better about it now after your messages thank you for all your help x

Hi I’m trying to do slimming world from home without going to a group. I know the basic concepts of sw as was s group member for a while but decided to do it at home until I lose more weight then go to a group. I’ve been doing it for just over 2 weeks and lost 1.6 kg so far. Does anyone have any tips or books they can recommend? I’ve seen the pinch of nom cookbook but not bought it. Does drinking lots of water help? Does swimming help and weight training in addition to sticking to plan and do people find that going alone from home can be successful. Thanks for any info or tips.

With the right motivation and determination you can do it from home. I did all of mine from home and lost nearly 14 stone in just over a year.

I think it is all dependent on the individual to get the best out of it. The key things which helped me were:

1) 10k steps a day 5 days a week minimum
2) Consistency in meals - I didn't make any fancy meals. I bought a few cookbooks, tried a few of the fakeaways etc, they were a lot of effort for very little return. One month of trial and error saw me find meals which I enjoyed which didn't take much prep and I could do every day and be happy with it.
3) Enjoy your food. If you don't enjoy it you will more thank likely give up.
4) Veg. Loads of veg. If I was forever hungry I would've failed early on but filling myself with good food that is filling kept me feeling full up and not think about snacking.
5) Don't beat yourself up if you maintain, gain or only lose a small amount when you were expecting more. So many people do this and lose motivation, things will eventually catch up or you will realise there may be certain foods which sit worse with you. I quickly realised my free lunch of omelette and beans wasn't helping my weight loss, cut this out and I was back on to the consistent weight loss. Try not to get into a habit of weighing yourself more than once a week too. I found myself daily weighing after a while, it was horrible. I was obsessed.
6) Exercise doesn't always see you lose weight! I remember absolutely smashing it one week and putting on weight. I did a load of research and the suggestion was there wasn't as much fat to burn off but more muscle gain and potentially water weight after exercise. I was a bit defeated from it but the following week saw a much bigger loss with less exercise. Swimming and weight training are great for weight loss too.
7) Water. Lots and lots of water. You also get your 10k of steps in walking to the toilet from this...

One final thing. I would really recommend signing up with my fitness pal and logging your measurements. When I got to around 15 stone from 27 stone I wasn't losing weight very quickly but my clothes were all fitting so much better. The weight no longer became something I was too worried about and the measurements were the big bonus.

Good luck.

With the right motivation and determination you can do it from home. I did all of mine from home and lost nearly 14 stone in just over a year.

I think it is all dependent on the individual to get the best out of it. The key things which helped me were:

2) Consistency in meals - I didn't make any fancy meals. I bought a few cookbooks, tried a few of the fakeaways etc, they were a lot of effort for very little return. One month of trial and error saw me find meals which I enjoyed which didn't take much prep and I could do every day and be happy with it.
4) Veg. Loads of veg. If I was forever hungry I would've failed early on but filling myself with good food that is filling kept me feeling full up and not think about snacking.
5) Don't beat yourself up if you maintain, gain or only lose a small amount when you were expecting more. So many people do this and lose motivation, things will eventually catch up or you will realise there may be certain foods which sit worse with you. I quickly realised my free lunch of omelette and beans wasn't helping my weight loss, cut this out and I was back on to the consistent weight loss. Try not to get into a habit of weighing yourself more than once a week too. I found myself daily weighing after a while, it was horrible. I was obsessed.
6) Exercise doesn't always see you lose weight! I remember absolutely smashing it one week and putting on weight. I did a load of research and the suggestion was there wasn't as much fat to burn off but more muscle gain and potentially water weight after exercise. I was a bit defeated from it but the following week saw a much bigger loss with less exercise. Swimming and weight training are great for weight loss too.
7) Water. Lots and lots of water. You also get your 10k of steps in walking to the toilet from this...

One final thing. I would really recommend signing up with my fitness pal and logging your measurements. When I got to around 15 stone from 27 stone I wasn't losing weight very quickly but my clothes were all fitting so much better. The weight no longer became something I was too worried about and the measurements were the big bonus.

Good luck.

Good luck.
Hi Bert thank you so much for taking the time to answer this I’m feeling a bit lost at times as although I did go to a slimming work group a year ago I struggle sometimes with Syns, Healthy extras and portion sizes, I know the basic concept of sw and free foods and speed foods and so far have lost 3.2 kg in just over two weeks. It will be interesting to see my weight this week as I’ve started back at gym and swimming plus some exercise classes so will see how that affects the scales. I will install the app and try to ensure I do the 10k steps today, I do struggle with the lots of water and am trying to drink more when I can. That’s such an achievement for you to do alone you must be proud I know I would be. Can I ask did you still drink alcohol on the plan, I do like my red wine and usually save my Syns so I can have some in an evening, also did you measure your milk out or just cut down. And also are you still following the slimming world plan or eat normally now and if so have you gained any weight? I was thinking of joining an online group as then I can access the slimming world app as not sure how to work out Syns otherwise, I decided not to join a group as I work away a lot and can’t go to the same group each week. Thanks again for the info x
Thanks again for the info x

Hi Bert thank you so much for taking the time to answer this I’m feeling a bit lost at times as although I did go to a slimming work group a year ago I struggle sometimes with Syns, Healthy extras and portion sizes, I know the basic concept of sw and free foods and speed foods and so far have lost 3.2 kg in just over two weeks. It will be interesting to see my weight this week as I’ve started back at gym and swimming plus some exercise classes so will see how that affects the scales. I will install the app and try to ensure I do the 10k steps today, I do struggle with the lots of water and am trying to drink more when I can. That’s such an achievement for you to do alone you must be proud I know I would be. Can I ask did you still drink alcohol on the plan, I do like my red wine and usually save my Syns so I can have some in an evening, also did you measure your milk out or just cut down. And also are you still following the slimming world plan or eat normally now and if so have you gained any weight? I was thinking of joining an online group as then I can access the slimming world app as not sure how to work out Syns otherwise, I decided not to join a group as I work away a lot and can’t go to the same group each week. Thanks again for the info x
Thanks again for the info x

I gave up alcohol.

We won our cricket league and I went on a stag do and resumed drinking alcohol from end of July to 13th Dec. I put on approx 4 stone over that period but it was also due to not exercising as I had a few things change.

I'm off the booze again and losing weight again. The issue I have with booze is how lazy I am the following day and the foods I eat whilst drinking and the foods I like to eat the following day. It's all fatty foods. So for me personally, quitting booze - healthier lifestyle all round.

and milk.... Week 1 measured milk, week 2 realised the amount of coffee I drink I need to change from whole to skimmed milk. A few days later realised skimmed milk is just white water so cut milk out of my diet completely.

Working away is where I struggle most. I work in a hotel 1 week every couple of months and refuse to eat takeaways or hotel food and try so hard to stick to plan on all my meals bought from tesco in the morning but always fall off on the days I travel by snacking on eat natural bars!

Hi guys! I know this post is a few months old but I started slimming world 3 weeks ago, and in the current climate I’m doing it from home and also can’t afford to pay for it online at the moment. The last time I done slimming world was in 2015 and I was doing the extra easy plan, I know some things have changed since then. I read that you can now have an extra HEA, and some things are not HEA’s now, also some things are not syn free like muller lights. Can someone just tell me if this is right please and also if the amount of syns per day have changed?
I have lost 6lb so I’m very happy 😃

Hi

I’m not a member and have also been going in alone since January.
You can have 2 HEX-A and 1 HEX-B
It’s still 15 syns a day
Some previously free items now have syns. For example flavoured fat free yogurts. Most seem to be 1/2 syn
Well done for the loss. It’s a great start for you
Learn something new every day! When did it change to 2 hex-a? I've been doing it with 1 but 2 gives more flexibility

Hi guys! I know this post is a few months old but I started slimming world 3 weeks ago, and in the current climate I’m doing it from home and also can’t afford to pay for it online at the moment. The last time I done slimming world was in 2015 and I was doing the extra easy plan, I know some things have changed since then. I read that you can now have an extra HEA, and some things are not HEA’s now, also some things are not syn free like muller lights. Can someone just tell me if this is right please and also if the amount of syns per day have changed?
I have lost 6lb so I’m very happy 😃
Welcome 😊

Back