Slow weight loss

Hopeful dieter

am now on 4th week of slimming world and have lost each week, but it seems so slow. Only 0.6 kg lost this week. I don't have masses to lose but I keep seeing people who have lost loads every time they weigh in and am worried I will just stop losing. i don't use many sins each day, typically 6 to 8 and I'm eating SO much fruit and veg!! Could it be because I've started jogging so my muscle is building up? Someone said that might affect the weight loss.

How much have you lost in 4 weeks? The recommended rate of loss for it to remain healthy is an average of 1-2lb. Usually people lose a little quicker at the start, or people who have a lot to lose can lose quicker. But if you do not have too much to lose then averaging 1-2lb a week is totally normal.

When you are losing weight you cannot gain muscle (well nothing past some initial gains), it's very difficult for people to actually gain muscle. However when you exercise you can cause tiny tears in your muscles, when these repair themselves they hold on to water which can mask any loss on the scales. So if you are feeling a little sore from your jogging then you could be retaining water while your muscles are recovering.

I've lost 3.6 kilos in 4 weeks which I guess is ok. I don't do weight very well, always think I should weigh less!! I threw away my scales years ago for that reason and only started weighing myself cos I joined Slimming World. I had been putting on size, think maybe partly menopause, and eventually went up a dress size which panicked me into doing something. I suppose as long as I know I'm eating healthily that's the main thing.

Hiya

I just mentioned this in another thread but quite early on in my journey, my consultant told me I was under eating and that's why I wasn't getting as big a loss I'd hoped some weeks. I took her advice and eat more (on plan) and used up all my syns. Despite feeling a bit guilty, and definitely heavier(!), I lost a big whack the following week, so I just continued like that. Now I know if I want a big loss in a week, I follow the plan 100% and use up all my syns and eat until I am full. It sounds like it shouldn't work but it does.

Generally in my group, the people who use their syns tend to lose more. I don't know if that's because it helps them stay on plan and makes them less likely to stray, but it does seem to work.

Do you go to group? It might be worth speaking to your consultant about it if it is frustrating you. However, 7lbs in 4 weeks is really good and IMO, sustainable. If you did that for the next 3 months, that a stone and a half off. And just the knowing that you are eating healthily is a good point, as ultimately that's better for you, even if it doesn't show on the scales.

Also, you might benefit more from doing measurements - waist, hips, legs, bust etc... as if you have taken up running/exercise you might fall into that slow weightloss category some people do at first. But seeing measurements decrease, is another motivator, especially if the scales are slower than you think they should be...

Thanks for replies. Lost another 0.8kg this week and feeling a bit better about the slower weight loss. As long as it continues I'm happy. Interesting about the syns though, I usually only have about 6 syns per day. Maybe I should be naughtier, it just doesn't seem to make sense!

Thanks for replies. Lost another 0.8kg this week and feeling a bit better about the slower weight loss. As long as it continues I'm happy. Interesting about the syns though, I usually only have about 6 syns per day. Maybe I should be naughtier, it just doesn't seem to make sense!

That is exactly how I felt. But somehow it works...!

I find the more I eat (on plan), the bigger the losses I have... :/

But you can use your syns for things other than chocolate/treats. I tend to use regular oil now instead of frylight, and syn that. I also eat 2 syn, Fage yogurts opposed to mullerlights as I find they taste much better. I have butter in my potatoes sometimes, maybe some light mayo etc... It doesn't have to contain sugar or bad fats.

Back