Smells killing food cravings

Joey34

Hi,

This is my first post and wanted to know if any of you experienced this. I've found that the best cure for food cravings is to indulge in some sweet smelling products. For example body shop strawberry lip gloss smells just like strawberries and makes me feel like I have had something sweet.
If I'm really craving at night, often just out of boredom, I have a nice body scrub and wrap myself in some lovely body butter, (plum is my favourite at the moment) and hop into bed with a good book. Craving gone and I feel and smell great.
I just wanted to share this with you. I have lost 2 stone and my BMI is down to 24.4 so am feeling great and really healthy at the moment. :)

I just smell food! I dont get cravings but maybe this is because im always cooking and smelling the foods in the house!

sounds a great idea..i must try that :)

last year when i did lt, i found just sniffing the food that my OH or kids were having would cure mine :)

h xx

There must be something to it, I find I can cook for the boys and not taste, not even a lick of the fingers thus far, see what day 4 brings tomorrow though - I may be coating myself in cooking fat by then.
Doirin

It's not something I've experience before LT but DEFINITELy tru now. I love smelling food, whether on the street smelling wafts of curry, cooking for other people so i can smell food - whatever, it's gorgeous. And it doesn't make me want to eat it. Really hope that lasts once i'm off LT, lol.

I was exactly the same all the way through TFR too!!

I have found that I need to smell foods at times. The other night I sat on the settee smelling a packet of pickled onion monster munch crisps for a full hour whilst watching tv. The craving went away and I didnt even touch the crisps.

Mexico,
That's some will power, don't know what I would have done with a packet of crisps open nearby for an hour. But then again with three small fellows i am forever opening something for them and so far nothing??!!. Does it really get much harder tomorrow on day 4 because so far I have never felt like this on a diet before, where there is no thinking of food and I had to remind myself to take a shake today. Taking the 3 a day as I feel they must be helping.
Doirin

Doirin,

the first week is def the hardest so you are doing brilliant so far. Well done

Yes Dorin the first week is def the hardest. I knew that I wouldnt eat the crisps, but enjoyed the smell of them. I easily threw them away and havent felt to do it again since - thank goodness as the family thought I was going mad!

You are doing ever so well and seem to be very strong. During my first week I dreamt of food and woke up with a very stiff jaw that i could hardly move all day lol. I know that other people have had food dreams that have been so funny.

I have enjoyed reading your posts about your journey to date Dorin

X

I'm into week 19 now and am still sniffing food. The other night it was a bag of cadburys choc covered peanuts, my god they smelt so good and also so strong! Couldn't believe how strong the choc smelt though. I'm also asking hubby if I can sniff food and find myself drawn more to stronger smelling things like garlic and spiced foods. More to smell I suppose!

Does it really get much harder tomorrow on day 4 because so far I have never felt like this on a diet before, where there is no thinking of food and I had to remind myself to take a shake today. Taking the 3 a day as I feel they must be helping.
Doirin

Keep going. I found after day 9 it got so much easier. You are getting so close to your first WI, and that will spur you on to keep going. Make sure you have all 3 shakes as they will give u all the nutrients you need to survive.

I too have taken to food sniffing lol.:p

My friends bought chips into the pub last night with loads of vinegar on them. They smelt divine for the first time I didn't have to struggle with myself whether I could have one or not. I just enjoyed the smell, and happily sipped my sparkling water. By the end I felt like I had one (but didn't, and no guilt! :).)

Got to say the smell of vinegar covered greasy chips smells a lot better than the chips actually tasted, I've found (in the dim and distant past!!!) When I finally have chips, they will be made the slimming world way, with fry-light and spices.......not for a few weeks though, as I'm only on day 1 refeeding!!!!

I have found that I need to smell foods at times. The other night I sat on the settee smelling a packet of pickled onion monster munch crisps for a full hour whilst watching tv. The craving went away and I didnt even touch the crisps.

:sign0137: Sorry Mexico, but I banned my kids from eating those within a 100 yard area around me.....they PONG!!!!

Back