Starting Xenical soon

Obsy

is starting to disappear!
Hello all,

My GP has said that I can start on Xenical in 4 weeks time if I manage to lose 2.5kg.

I've read a little about it on the internet but am not 100% sure about what I can or cannot eat and drink and would appreciate as much advice and support as possible.

x

Hi and welcome Obsy :)
While you're on Xenical, all food that you eat should be 5% fat or less. that is, for every 100g of product, you want no more than 5g of fat. Each meal should be no more than 15g of fat. One thing you will become is and expert label reader ;) Drink wise, well I drink only water and green tea ( and the very occasional skinny caramel macchiatto from Starbucks ;)). I'm not much of drinker alcohol wise, and I stopped drinking fizzy coke etc last year too.

Thankyou!

I'd heard about not having more than 15g of fat per meal, but didn't know about the 5% part. I may have to go and rethink some food choices now.

Do you find it easy to stick to?

What type of things do you eat?

Thanks x

Hi I`m on Xenical until I get a dye test because I`m got angina and I`m getting pain at rest as well as walking .If everything is ok I`ll be getting a bypass if not I`m getting a sleeve . But I take cornflakes and 2 slices of wholemeal toast for brekkie and Weight Watchers meals for tea and a WW pud and fruit in between and I have no bother with the Xenical . I get the WW meals from Iceland for a £1 each and £1.50 for the puds not too bad in my books . Good luck and take care.
MARGARET XX

Last edited:
I posted this in the diary section yesterday, but this is what I eat on a typical day...

Ok so an average day for me looks like this...
Brekkie
30g Optivita ( the berry one) with skimmed milk
2 slice wholemeal bread toasted
2 teaspoons ( 30g) reduced sugar jam

Lunch
Mug of homemade soup ( usually lentil or just veg)
Sandwich made with 2 slice wholemeal bread, 30g philly extra light, 50g wafer thin ham.
100g mixed fruit ( usually strawbs, rasps and blueberries)
shape lasting satisfaction yoghurt

Dinner
100g chicken breast ( cooked weight)
175g ASDA Good For You tomato and mascarpone sauce
80g garden peas
100g ( dry weight) wholewheat spaghetti
weight watchers chocolate brownie dessert ;)
Midmorning I sometimes have a banana (especially if I've been walking or to the gym in the morning). Midafternoon I might have an Alpen Light cereal bar. I drink about 3 mugs of green tea a day, and also about 2 litres of water too. I don't drink any fizzy stuff like diet coke anymore.

Also you don't have to have bread for lunch, I love wholemeal pitta breads, and a bagel ( just a plain one) is a nice wee treat too. Ryvitas with philly extra light, turkey bacon and tomatoes is also nice. I've gotten myself into the habit of using substitutes for butter/marg/low fat spread. I use philly extra light, or tomato sauce, or kraft thousand island light. The tomato sauce is especially nice in a sausage sandwich ( low fat ones :D )
I think, well for me anyway, this has also been about adapting my taste buds. You don't have to have butter or margarine in a sandwich;) You can use alternatives, and over time these new alternatives will become second nature to you. I don't actually like the taste of butter or even a low fat spread now, I think it tastes rank lol
x

Wow thank you. I've been trying to eat healthily for the last few weeks and I've lost 7lbs so far. I've just discovered turkey bacon and wholemeal pittas so am glad I can eat them!

I was really worried that I would be hungry but from your food diary, I don't think that will be the case. I thought about a VLCD but I would miss food too much and know I would binge once I could eat food again. I'm hoping that Xenical helps me to change my food choices, so that they become second nature. I'm sure that once I've lost the weight, I won't ever go back to how I am now x

Good luck Obsy :) Oh and forgot to say I also keep a food diary. I record everything I eat in it, and the amount of fat grammes in the food I eat. The diary stays in my kitchen and every time I eat something, I record it in the diary. Research has shown the peeople who keep food diaries consistently loose weight, and those who maintain their diaries once they are at their goal weight also maintain their weightloss. I find it also forces me to be honest with what I am putting in my mouth lol :D

Hi Obsy,

I am still trying to decide whether or not to take the plunge, But wanted to wish you good luck!

LiSe Xx

Thanks for the best wishes. I can't wait to try it. When I'm determined I can lose some weight but I give into temptation easily, rediscover chocolate or cheese and back on the pounds go. With Xenical, I know that if I do stray, I will suffer the side effects and as I really don't want that, I can get past the temptation and once I've not had it for a while, I won't miss it.

I think the food diary idea is a brilliant idea and I've bought a book which is in the kitchen ready for me.

Thankyou all so much x

Well I went to the doctors yesterday and he said that I'd lost 4kg (I only had to lose 2.5kg) to get prescribed Xenical. My scales at home showed 2.5kg but I'm not arguing with him.

First day on the tablets today - I went through everything in my fridge/freezer and cupboards and binned a few items that had escaped my last cull. Went and spent a fortune in the supermarket considering I live on my own and it took me 2.5hrs to get round after reading label after label. I was pleasantly surprised that I can have a WW pizza - I felt like I had a naughty meal tonight!

Does anyone know the website for MAP?

xxx

Hi Obsy,

Well done on your loss so far, thats fantastic and all the best on xenical.

The MAP website: http://www.mapassist.co.uk

or you can phone them; if you want them to send you stuff you do have to phone as you will need to speak with one of the nurses. Tel: 0800 731 7138

Thankyou very much. Am off now to look at the website and ring them xxx

I posted this in the diary section yesterday, but this is what I eat on a typical day...

Ok so an average day for me looks like this...
Brekkie
30g Optivita ( the berry one) with skimmed milk
2 slice wholemeal bread toasted
2 teaspoons ( 30g) reduced sugar jam

Lunch
Mug of homemade soup ( usually lentil or just veg)
Sandwich made with 2 slice wholemeal bread, 30g philly extra light, 50g wafer thin ham.
100g mixed fruit ( usually strawbs, rasps and blueberries)
shape lasting satisfaction yoghurt

Dinner
100g chicken breast ( cooked weight)
175g ASDA Good For You tomato and mascarpone sauce
80g garden peas
100g ( dry weight) wholewheat spaghetti
weight watchers chocolate brownie dessert ;)

x

Hi ali,
hope u dnt mind but i WW pointed ur meal.. its 23 points 1595 cals and 32g fat! wow im gona try eat this minus the ww browni and the garden peas to bring it down a few points for me! see howi get on for a few days!!

thanks for this!

Sona you're almost bang on the money calorie wise :D Fat grammes I had worked out at less. In saying that, I work out the fat as I'm making stuff ( using labels, and my Xenical bible lol, also the soup I work out eveything when I make it...even down to how many portions I'll get out of it...can we say erm a trifle obsessed?? :rolleyes::rolleyes::D)
x

I like obsessed! My food diary goes everywhere with me and if I don't write it down, I can't eat it. Spent 2.5hrs in ASDA the other day reading label after label - I was shocked at what I previously thought was healthy lol

Back