Stopping the pill and weight gain

laurz100

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry this is a stupid post but I just wondered if anyone else had similar problems as me and if they could be due to PCOS. My history is that I was diagnosed at 15 and put on dianette. i stayed on that for 10 years and then was swapped onto microgynon for the next 4 years.

I have been overweight most of my life. In 2010 I lost 5and half stone with slimming world, pretty easily really, but then had a few issues with depression etc and have since put on 2 stone of that.

Last Nov we decided to start trying for a baby so I came off the pill and have since had completely regular periods which was a surprise, as before I was diagnosed I only had 2 periods then nothing at all. Anyway, since coming off the pill I put half a stone on in the first month. I haven't gained anymore, but although I'm back at slimming world I just can't shift the weight.
Does coming off the pill bring about weight gain because the pcos isn't being controlled anymore? I thought there had been an improvement because my periods had returned?

Sorry for the long post, it's really getting me down xx

I don't know about after coming off the pill cos I'm still on it, before I tried losing weight a few years ago and it was one hell of a struggle, at that time I knew there was something wrong but hadn't been diagnosed. But I was only losing half a pound or a pound a week, sometimes nothing at all. Since I have been on the pill it seems to be coming off a little bit easier. No doubt I'll have the same problem as you when I come off the pill. My doctor said I could come off it when I get down to 11 stone, because my body should have learnt to look after itself when i'm within BMI range and the pill knocks them into submission, so I guess this is what happened with you, your body just got used to the regularity and learnt to sustain itself :)

Thanks for replying Ally. Yeah that does make sense for me actually. I found it so much easier to lose weight on the pill. I've made an appointment to see the doc on Friday so I'll hopefully have more of an idea then. It might be worth going back on the pill and losing the weight and then start trying for a baby. I just worry that I turn 30 this year and I don't want to leave it too long in case I do have problems an need help conceiving xx

Ask the doctor what he/she thinks. Maybe they could test to see if you are ovulating, I know I will struggle if I ever try for kids cos I don't seem to ovulate anymore, but just because you have PCOS doesn't mean you have stopped, I'm sure they can test you for it (since they can test everything else). Then at least you will have an idea if you are still ovulating then there's a decent chance of you conceiving, if not you know you will almost certainly need help. If it were me, i'd go on the pill and lose weight then think about conceiving, but thats just me.

Back