Struggling with cravings

Principessa N

Minimins Addict
Can you settle an arguement between me and my other half.

He says you can't get addicted to food and that i don't have cravings i have a habit.

I, on the other hand, am sat here ready to run to the shop for some chocolate and doritos (i'd prob be mugged), i don't even want them, i want to be thin and fit in a wedding dress but i need them, the only thing i can think of comparing it to is when you really need a cig and there are none in the house. He's never smoked so doesn't really get that.

Feels like i'm going cold turkey, am i being stupid and imagining it or am i addicted to crappy food?

This is a difficut one. I think people can get addicted to the sugar hit that chocolate etc can give but normally you want this food out of habit rather than actually wanting the food.

I have sat rather sharply on the fence there.

I'm sure i've read before that if you're used to eating high sugar and high salt foods then your body will crave them initially if you go without, this should be short lived though while your body adjusts to a healthy diet that it should be getting.

You can be addicted to anything, there's no rule that you can only be addicted to something with an addictive element to it. I do agree with 30FlirtyGirl though that where food is concerned we're probably more addicted to the feeling that food gives us and the habit we create through eating it all the time.

Signs and Symptoms of Sugar Addiction

As with all addictions, a person who has become addicted to sugar will allow items containing high levels of sugar to make up a large part of their diet, or will have to consume a sugary item frequently. When access to these items is denied or they are unable to consume them, low mood, irritability, frustration and panic can occur.

They will normally experience cravings accompanied by fine tremors, headaches and a pre-occupation of thoughts. When access to the sugar is permitted, they will experience an instant rush and feel very satisfied very quickly. If a person has made a conscious effort to remove sugar from their diet, symptoms of withdrawal can include headaches, changes in bowel habit, low mood and anxiety.

Sugar Addiction - Beating Addictions (UK)

Diets like Lipotrim/Cambridge Diet and Lighter Life came about as a means of breaking the addiction and gaining some control over food again.

I think you can, im pretty sure i was addicted to sugar and not having my norma binge in the evenings this week - as its choc choc choc! was very difficult to start off with. I could feel my resolution slipping and i physically got cold sweats as my bosy was so used to choc binges every night - no wonder im the size I am!

But can say now after a week of holding back i havent had a binge all week and so proud of myself and think im over a big battle and proper eating is defintely hwlping me this week and ive lost weight!

You can do it, its so hard and a battle all the time - and we can win it of we try hard. If you can stop smoking and stop doing drugs, food is no problem. Its taking control.

I think addicted to food is right, but its not the food your addicted to i guess, for me i am addicted to how it makes me feel, like when i was a kid, my Mum use to make chicken soup for us if we were poorly, its a comfort, then if i went to my sisters, who would bake a cake, it was again it was a treat, comfort again, i think it all stems from how we were brought up, and if you was brought up like me, then i guess addicted to comfort, and food gives you that, so yes i would agree to addiction can be a firm possibility.

Chocolate and doritos, i would mug you for the chocolate, LOL, but i keep fancying potato cakes and butter, again another comfort food had a kid.

Ignore your hubby, hes just winding you up, keep on the CD and show him!!!

I think addicted to food is right, but its not the food your addicted to i guess, for me i am addicted to how it makes me feel, like when i was a kid, my Mum use to make chicken soup for us if we were poorly, its a comfort, then if i went to my sisters, who would bake a cake, it was again it was a treat, comfort again, i think it all stems from how we were brought up, and if you was brought up like me, then i guess addicted to comfort, and food gives you that, so yes i would agree to addiction can be a firm possibility.

Chocolate and doritos, i would mug you for the chocolate, LOL, but i keep fancying potato cakes and butter, again another comfort food had a kid.

Ignore your hubby, hes just winding you up, keep on the CD and show him!!!

Completely agree, we use food for celebrating, when were unhappy, when were sick. What just happened to having something to eat purely because your hungry?
I would love to turn back time before i had my kids and re programme myself about food!

Completely agree, we use food for celebrating, when were unhappy, when were sick. What just happened to having something to eat purely because your hungry?
I would love to turn back time before i had my kids and re programme myself about food!

I also would love to do that Saraian, i am 40 now and i only started putting weight on when i was 30, and i have since over ate, done no exercise, lived with a ex partner, who binged, and life i guess was just around food, it be nice to know when to eat for hunger again and not for any other reason than being hungry.

In work we have two leaving, and it means cakes, and it means food!

Comfort Comfort COMFORT!!!

Thats what Im doing today! im eating for hungar only as im kick starting this week with 22 points only so omg can only eat when hungry! theres no eating for the sake of it!

If that happens though hun if you kow someones leaving work and there taking cake - make yourself a little lunchbook with some gorgeous weight watchers treats and eat them instead so you dont feel left out!

Have got some soup, will sip away while they munch on the eclairs! wait till its my birthday, i am taking them all in some bathbombs! I read about at the weekend, paul mckenna, and he teaches how to eat only when hungry, he cannot possibly make me slim, but his methods i will be trying out. Have to go get ready for work now, lovely talking to you, see you later xx

Originally Posted by MiniMe*Escaping

I totally agree with this. I think whereas I think Im addicted to food I think its the feeling I get when Im eating. My mother used to give us a treat if we fell and hurt ourselves, a treat if we were sad/happy. I see food as comfort and when Im feeling crappy I crave the food to make me feel better.....ironically it never makes me feel too good though :rolleyes:

Its very difficult too re programme yourselves too when you have been raised that way. My parents were the same with me but funny how my sister is a skinny *****!

I think thats the joy of ww it teaches control portion, to eat healthily and enjoy it. The hareest bit for us is too batrtle inner demons and get over cravings and binging if you do it. But once you haver gotton over it, its gone.

Since I started WW I dont deprive myself of something if I get a craving but I maybe substitute something similar rather than the full fat version. Low fat cheese isnt brilliant but if Im having a cheese craving some of it on toast is enough to satisfy me.

I always make sure I have chocolate in the house, usually Curly Wurly or Crunchies they can lie untouched for ages if I have them but if I dont thats when Im in trouble.

I think a lot of it is psychological but working out a compromise is no bad thing

Back