Sw and calories

oasis6918

Gold Member
Can I have you opinions please? Before I started back on sw I was doing different forms of calorie counting and I'm a member on mfp, so now I'm on sw I've continued to keep track of my daily calories. I'm in no way, shape or form restricting what I'm eating, I'm following sw plan, eating my superfree first, then my free then any syn's I have. On extra easy or green I'm having around 1700/1800 cals, on red days I'm only consuming around 1200 cals or just less. Do you think this is enough on red days or do I need to eat more even if I'm full and satisfied? x

There's been a few threads about this recently and my suggestion is to either calorie count or do slimming world.... Don't attempt to do both at the same time since calorie counting at the same time raises questions like this one..... Trust that the sw plan works as it is or do calorie counting.

Agree with clairebrookes SW isn't really about calorie counting and you should go by what's happening on the scales or tape measure. If you are eating a bit more protein on a red day you will naturally feel a bit fuller as it has that effect. Providing you are eating the correct things on each day till you are full, using superfree, hex's, syns and drinking enough water you're following the plan. If you want someone to check you are eating enough why not post your intake.

I'm not calorie counting and
I don't intend to which I've explained above, or maybe I just haven't worded it correctly, my question is do I need to be eating more on red days to lose weight on sw? If so I can make more room for superfree foods, more veg with my meals and more fruit in between or if its fine as long as I'm full. I've noticed I don't eat as much on red days which has lead me to still keep a log of what I eat and I have seen its not much in calories either. I don't want to sabotage my sw journey by not eating enough on red days. I keep reading comments on how you shouldn't eat too little on sw and you shouldn't eat for the sake of it.

My reply seems a bit blunt its not meant to sorry! Thanks for the replies. I have a diary in sw but for example today I've had -

Strawberries
Grapefruit
WW bread and dairy lea hea+b 1
Tuna salad, lots of salad 1 whole tin tuna.
Salad cream 3 syns
Muller yogurt
2 alpen bars he 2
3 cups tea using my last he
2 slices lean ham.
Tea is chicken, cauli, broccoli, carrots.
Gravy but yet to work out syns, that one confuses me a bit x

Sorry must have misread your post. It's a tricky one cos you should only eat till you are full. I do mostly red days cos I find that I eat too much on EE. I find it hard to control portions of rice and pasta and get bloated. I do eat less on red as it is more filling but that suits me. So not sure if you should up your intake as technically you don't have to do the 1/3 superfree on red or green days (though I do tend to). Sorry I don't think that's very helpful but if you're following the plan you should get losses and I suppose it's hard to predict if you will stall or not.

oasis6918 said:
My reply seems a bit blunt its not meant to sorry! Thanks for the replies. I have a diary in sw but for example today I've had -

Strawberries
Grapefruit
WW bread and dairy lea hea+b 1
Tuna salad, lots of salad 1 whole tin tuna.
Salad cream 3 syns
Muller yogurt
2 alpen bars he 2
3 cups tea using my last he
2 slices lean ham.
Tea is chicken, cauli, broccoli, carrots.
Gravy but yet to work out syns, that one confuses me a bit x

Looks fine to me and typical of a red day. I can't see anything wrong with it. Looks like a day I might have. Maybe make sure you are eating all 15 of your syns for now if you can fit them in and see how your losses go. If things slow down you can cut back to 10 if need be but you might not have to. I don't always manage all of my syns but I'm a terror for worrying that something will come up and I need some in reserve (it often does as my OH isn't very good at advance planning so will come in and suggest going out for a shared bottle of wine so I need some in reserve for those occasions). Sometimes I don't use them. How have yor losses been recently and how long have you been doing reds? Another option would be to mix it up in the week and do some red, some green, some EE. Hope that's helpful. People who have been on here longer might have some better ideas.

peacelily said:
Sorry must have misread your post. It's a tricky one cos you should only eat till you are full. I do mostly red days cos I find that I eat too much on EE. I find it hard to control portions of rice and pasta and get bloated. I do eat less on red as it is more filling but that suits me. So not sure if you should up your intake as technically you don't have to do the 1/3 superfree on red or green days (though I do tend to). Sorry I don't think that's very helpful but if you're following the plan you should get losses and I suppose it's hard to predict if you will stall or not.

I'm just terrible for only reading what I've put after I've posted and didn't want to seem like I'm comin across hostile etc.

That's great though, thanks. I'll see how I go with losses, if I get stuck I'll change things around x

peacelily said:
Looks fine to me and typical of a red day. I can't see anything wrong with it. Looks like a day I might have. Maybe make sure you are eating all 15 of your syns for now if you can fit them in and see how your losses go. If things slow down you can cut back to 10 if need be but you might not have to. I don't always manage all of my syns but I'm a terror for worrying that something will come up and I need some in reserve (it often does as my OH isn't very good at advance planning so will come in and suggest going out for a shared bottle of wine so I need some in reserve for those occasions). Sometimes I don't use them. How have yor losses been recently and how long have you been doing reds? Another option would be to mix it up in the week and do some red, some green, some EE. Hope that's helpful. People who have been on here longer might have some better ideas.

Yeah I just need to work out my gravy then see what syns are left I've got a Cadbury light choc mousse waiting, or if I'm lucky a crunchie or skinny cow icecream. I just started back on sw on Monday have been putting it off as I can't afford class at the minute I'm on maternity leave, I realised I have a lot of resources to do it on my own for now. Last time I did sw, I did it for 8 weeks and lost just over a st so I'd say it's a good plan for me.
I intend to do Fri, Sun and Wed EE, Sat and Monday green and Tuesday and Thursday red. Wi is a Friday morning like you say I thought I'd start with 15 syns and if I get stuck reduce to 10. I've lost 23.5lb's on my own since my lg was born but I've got a long way to go yet x

That's fab re losses. Don't worry about posts I didn't see it as hostile at all. I think when posting its sometimes tricky to get the sentiment across. You've got a good plan going there. I'm not so organised. I start every day as a red day but save the 2nd hexs just in case I go out and the day turns EE as I often find it easier doing EE when I'm out. However seems to be working at the mo. Good luck this week :)

peacelily said:
That's fab re losses. Don't worry about posts I didn't see it as hostile at all. I think when posting its sometimes tricky to get the sentiment across. You've got a good plan going there. I'm not so organised. I start every day as a red day but save the 2nd hexs just in case I go out and the day turns EE as I often find it easier doing EE when I'm out. However seems to be working at the mo. Good luck this week :)

Thanks good luck to you too, when do you wi?

I don't think your post came across as hostile at all.

I think you hear it a lot on here and in group that if you don't eat enough you wont lose but how I see it the most important thing is to eat until you are satisfied.

From what you put it looks like the sort of day I would have if I were doing a red day.... Your awfully organised with what plan your following on a particular day. I start off with good intentions of doing a red or green day and by mid afternoon something has snuck in and it turns into an ee day.

Good luck with everything.

I only do red days, and do use a food teacher that counts calories. I find an average day on red for me tends to be about 1250 although done days do go up to 1500, that 1250 is made up of plenty of food (I didn't get fat through the habit of small portions! Lol)
I think this is because red plan tends to involve foods that keep me full. I am a lot more hungry when eating potatoes pasta etc so green and EE days result in higher calorie intake
If it feels right for you, it is enough food

oasis6918 said:
Thanks good luck to you too, when do you wi?

Weigh in on Tuesday but am going to Italy on Saturday for 10 days so will miss two weigh ins. Desperately don't want a big gain as I made it to my 1st stone on Tuesday and don't want to undo the good work or get derailed so it's hard when I get back. So determined to sort out this weight as I have been faffing around with different diets for a while and not really getting anywhere. Been on SW for 8 weeks and have stuck to it better than anything else for a long time.

If your worried about red day calories, have some steak with bacon on :) that will bump up your calories

peacelily said:
Weigh in on Tuesday but am going to Italy on Saturday for 10 days so will miss two weigh ins. Desperately don't want a big gain as I made it to my 1st stone on Tuesday and don't want to undo the good work or get derailed so it's hard when I get back. So determined to sort out this weight as I have been faffing around with different diets for a while and not really getting anywhere. Been on SW for 8 weeks and have stuck to it better than anything else for a long time.

Ah lovely! I'm sure you'll be fine, no doubt you'll get getting a fair bit of exercise while your away. Enjoy your holiday x

clairebrookes said:
I don't think your post came across as hostile at all.

I think you hear it a lot on here and in group that if you don't eat enough you wont lose but how I see it the most important thing is to eat until you are satisfied.

From what you put it looks like the sort of day I would have if I were doing a red day.... Your awfully organised with what plan your following on a particular day. I start off with good intentions of doing a red or green day and by mid afternoon something has snuck in and it turns into an ee day.

Good luck with everything.

I'm going to try and mix my days but o
I might just mix red and ee to be honest cos I like my meat :)

Purple*Tortoise said:
I only do red days, and do use a food teacher that counts calories. I find an average day on red for me tends to be about 1250 although done days do go up to 1500, that 1250 is made up of plenty of food (I didn't get fat through the habit of small portions! Lol)
I think this is because red plan tends to involve foods that keep me full. I am a lot more hungry when eating potatoes pasta etc so green and EE days result in higher calorie intake
If it feels right for you, it is enough food

That's good then, I'm not the only one. I had bacon the other night so I drank loads of water after, this kept me full too. Thanks

*soon-to-be-slim* said:
If your worried about red day calories, have some steak with bacon on :) that will bump up your calories

That's a good idea, think I'll do that next red day x

Remember, there is nothing intrinsically magic about slimming world, it is all about calories like everything else. The rules exist that stop you over consuming on things that have high calories but dont fill you up, and to replace those with things that are low in calories or fill you up.
If you eat three pounds of rice a day, no amount of food optimising is going to undo the calories consumed. SW is a low calorie diet in which you dont need to think about the calories.

I use food focus every now and then to audit what i have eaten. It is really easy on SW to eat far too little in terms of calories that your body needs. For a 5ft11 gent such as myself, who is now moderately active, to not gain or lose weight i should be consuming 3,300 calories a day.

To lose two pounds a week, i need to cut a thousand out of that. The problem is, that I find, without a concerted effort it is quite hard to eat anything like 2,300 calories a day on SW. My average is somewhere between 1200 and 1800, more usually 1400.

If you read up on online fitness and weight loss sites, they all have a very clear message. You should *not* eat less than your BMR (2100 for me), it doesnt help weight loss, it slows down your metabolism, burns muscles and makes a gain more likely as soon as you leave the plan.

On the other hand, my GP says 1200 is fine as long as you are getting the right nutrition and you have a fair bit to lose.

Back