SW and PCOS!

Topper78

Hey everyone!

I know a few of us ladies on here are plagued with PCOS and was wondering how you find your weight loss on the plan as it can be hard for us to shift our weight!

I was diagnosed last december and sent on my merry way by my gynae consultant to lose weight and get my BMI within a healthy range before being considered for clomid. I am so mad with myself as I have hardly lost anything since my consultation last year and now I am getting to that not good stage of being on the verge of desperation for a baby but know I need to lose the weight first. Just having a bit of a bad day as everywhere I turn there is either a pregnant woman or newborn baby!!!

I know I am lucky as I have only got about 3 and a half stones to lose but at the moment it seems like the biggest mountain in the world to climb and the longer it takes me the longer I have to wait to start treatment.

Hey - I cant comment constructively as Im not one of the PCOS (although as you say there defo are some on here) Im sure one of them will be along soon, but just thought Id say I know what you mean bout some days everywhere you turn thers babies or pregnant woman! We're not trying at the minute, but would love to soon, (well I would anyway hehe) but I wanna lose some of this weight first xxx

Im not on SW but I do have PCOS and I dont think its hindered me in any way with my weight loss :)

My old doc told me to lose weight but I would find it difficult! (Thanks then!) SW is the only thing that worked for me. I don't have PCOS but I do have cysts all over my ovaries

according to my GP some gyno's put patients on metaformin, which is a diabetes treatment and this can help people with PCOS lose weight if they combine it with a healthier diet. definately worth visiting your GP to see about it.

i had a gyno appointment last week and was told i have polycystic ovaries but i don't have PCOS! gyno said my polycystic ovaries were probably down to the fact i was overweight as fat mimics oestrogen and confuses the reproductive system! ...so i have been sent on my merry way to lose more weight. am going to get a GP referal to my local sports centre soon. :D

....i don't find it hard to lose weight, but i find it VERY easy to put it on!

according to my GP some gyno's put patients on metaformin, which is a diabetes treatment and this can help people with PCOS lose weight if they combine it with a healthier diet. definately worth visiting your GP to see about it.

i had a gyno appointment last week and was told i have polycystic ovaries but i don't have PCOS! gyno said my polycystic ovaries were probably down to the fact i was overweight as fat mimics oestrogen and confuses the reproductive system! ...so i have been sent on my merry way to lose more weight. am going to get a GP referal to my local sports centre soon. :D

That is soooo spooky...have just been reading up on metformin on the net! Think I am going to see how I get on sticking to the plan til christmas and if things aren't going the way I hoped with the weight loss the I will go to my GP. Due to see my gynae consultant again soon so I could ask her too. Thanks for the help x

I dont have PCOS but i am slimming to have a baby. I have lost 3 at 18,20 and 21 weeks pregnant due to an incompetent cervix and i have had a stitch in etc so the only thing left to do is loose weight and try that. I know how you feel when you say how desperate you feel i do to. I look at my diet as a focus and it gives me the will to go on i will never give up and i will have a baby one day.

Debs x

the main reason i'm doing SW is to get to a better weight to conceive - i made that decision in march this year. at the weight i was i would probably end up bed bound at 5 months and sleep constantly!!!

i saw my friend get to around 19.5 stone when she was pregnant and, although there were no complications, she really suffered with her feet and knees and also her stomach was squashed by a combination of fat and baby, so she couldn't eat properly - she had to tilt her head back so food would go into her stomach! GRIM!!! ....and i don't want to be like that - i also want to look pregnant when it happens rather than blob shaped :D

I dont have PCOS but i am slimming to have a baby. I have lost 3 at 18,20 and 21 weeks pregnant due to an incompetent cervix and i have had a stitch in etc so the only thing left to do is loose weight and try that. I know how you feel when you say how desperate you feel i do to. I look at my diet as a focus and it gives me the will to go on i will never give up and i will have a baby one day.

Debs x

My heart goes out to you Debs. Well done you for being so positive and you are right you WILL have your much longed for baby one day soon x x

PCOS is linked to diabetes which is why metformin is used to treat it.

Debsxdiet, so sorry to hear of your losses :(

I have PCOS. It's a nightmare! So I sympathise with you. I did lose some weight to get pregnant, I lost it with the GI diet which was a diet I did find worked quite well (although was hard to stick to, I find SW enjoyable and easy to stick to any my losses have been better on it).

My story anyway is that since losing weight on SW my pcos has been easier to manage but I do still suffer from some of the side effects. The main one for me is my fertility and I'm happy to say that since starting SW my periods have returned. They are only ever regular when I am actively losing weight. Otherwise they go awol or disappear entirely.

Can I ask what your fertility is like? Because PCOS in itself isn't a complete portent of doom and many, many PCOS women do have healthy babies (just like me, I have a nearly 1 year old)

Emerald
X

Hi Emerald!

Am so pleased you replied, it has given me hope! Regarding my fertility, if I am lucky I have 3 periods a year (which I know is more than some people). I am also lucky in the fact that I don't really tend to suffer from some of the other symptoms of PCOS such as acne and hirtuism. My consultant did say that if I lost weight I could possibly see my periods return to a more regular cycle, so here's hoping! I am just mad with myself that I have messed about all year instead of getting stuck into my weight loss plan!

How much weight did you lose before you saw an improvement in the regularity of your cycle? I have got about 3 and a half stones to lose to get my weight within a healthy BMI but have heard that even a 10% weight loss could show an improvement. Am due to see my consultant again shortly but know she won't give me any clomid which although frustrating I am pleased about as I want to be at a healthy weight when I conceive. Did you conceive naturally or did you need clomid? Sorry about all the personal questions x

I dont suffer from PCOS but i have struggled with infertility for the last 10 years, i had 5 cycles of ICSI and now have a beautiful daughter, i joined here to loose some weight as ive been trying to have a 2nd child for over 1 year now and have been on clomid since July. Just want to give you all a :grouphugg:

x Mrs-H- x

can't comment on pcos hun but do feel your pain about wanting a baby hun maybe my story will give u hope.
i was ttc for my son for 5 years in that time i had 2 mc and 8 weeks ago i gave birth to a beautiful baby boy i never thought i'd get him but omg he was so worth the wait. i know at times hun it seems like everyone has a baby or is pg and it won't happen to u but have faith hun.
good luck hun hope its soon

Back