Switching from VLCD to slimming world?

KatieB16

Hi guys; this is my first post and its going to be a long one so bare with me haha

At the end of January i started a VLCD of 500-600 calories a day with one cheat day a week. I've lost 2st 5lbs so far but I want to move onto something more sustainable and to stop me having binges and feeling dreadful afterwards. I have a big night out this Friday so will be eating complete crap from Friday-Monday (expecting a huge gain haha) then I'm going to join Slimming World on Wednesday.

Has anyone else switched from this kind of diet to slimming world and still lost continuously? Ive read over the plans and eating so much scares me after surviving on such little food with huge binges once a week. I currently only have 12-17lbs till goal, although im sure this will go up once i have my weekend off haha.

Any tips/tricks or advice please? Im thinking of calorie counting alongside slimming world as im terrified of gaining back what ive lost already.

Thankyou!xx

There have been those that moved from vlcd to slimming world and continued to lose but what is more common is an initial small gain whilst your body adjusts and then losing it again the following week. As you don't have a huge amount to lose I think that the latter is more likely and is not to be seen as failure or that the plan doesn't work. It's just a different and more sustainable approach over the long term. If it were guaranteed to make the transition seamless then it would be questionable why anyone does the vlcd in the first place. This is a softly softly catchy monkey approach (what does that MEAN anyway???) and you are generally in it for the long haul although SW has more than the capability to see huge losses too.

You won't know until you try but if you do gain a few lb back just think of it as that's where you would be if you had done SW from the start and it will probably be gone the following week!

thankyou so much for the reply hun. I am really excited about switching and just eating healthily as the VLCD has taught me portion control which i seriously lacked and now its just about learning to eat the right things! haha xx

Combine the built in portion control with SW and you are on to a winner. Good luck!!

I haven't made the transition but I am surprised/impressed at the will power you have to stick to so little calories for so long! Slimming world will seem like over eating to you but like you said between healthy eating and portion control you will lose in long run. Your body will likely be used to burning your energy quickly so the "extra" energy from eating more may be stored initially (aka gain) but your body will reprogram and will lose again. Just in a healthier more lifestyle friendly way :) enjoy your naughty food fueled weekend and then you can start SW with a clear head. Good luck x

Hi,

I've made the transition from a VLCD to slimming world before, the first week on SW I gained 1lb even though I'd stuck to it 100%. I had just come off the Cambridge diet though. The following week I lost 5lb. It's just your body getting used to eating food again. Much prefer SW to any VLCD I'd done previously. I also lost weight consistently following the first week of SW, it varied between 1-4lbs a week and I ate loads. Good luck. :)

thankyou so much for your replies girls. Im freaking out tonight and researching way too much its making my head hurt haha. Im terrified of not losing any weight gained over the weekend, and worrying it'll be 10-14lbs. Panicking that my metabolism is screwed so ill just keep gaining weight, uhh its horrible :(

I can only speak for myself but I've done VLCDs loads of times, it hasn't ever affected my metabolism. I've only done short bursts of them, like a few weeks at a time. It may take a few days for your body to get used to eating food again, but once it has and you are following SW then you will continue to lose weight. Good luck

Back