Tesco Lt Whipped Cream

So I'll hate it if it turns out that I'm the bearer of bad news, but I need some advice on a whipped cream that everyone I know uses...please please please put me out of my misery!
It's Creamfield's Light Real Dairy Cream (whipped cream spray can) from Tesco. I use it all the time as I can't stand sourness or tartness in my fruit.
My C has said the whole 250g can Syns at 6.5 Syns so assuming you'd get loads from it, a small squirt would be 1/2 Syn.

Here's my problem: The other day my eye did some dangerous wandering while squirting. First I see that the two main ing's are (not LF) cream and sugar. Then I'm thinking how can this be so low in syns. Then I see the small print and my life flashes before my eyes:
>>"Guideline 55ml of whipped cream is equivalent to approximately 11.5g." Also the nutritional info is done in mls but the can mischievously is measured in grams.<<
So if I syn 250mls the whole can is 6.5 so about 19g = 1/2 Syn.
But if you convert the 250g to mls based on the 11.5 then there's 1196mls in the can which then syns at 75 Syns! So you'd only get 1.5g for 1/2syn which is impossible to even spray out of the can.
Can anyone help please?
Here's what it says on the back:
Can is 250 grams.
Guideline daily amounts 55ml of whipped cream is equivalent to 11.5 grams.
100ml contains: 50kcals, 0.6prot, 2.3carbs, 4.3grams of fat.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Yes it will be a volume thing, thats why it's in ml rather than g. If you filled a measuring jug to the 100ml mark that's what would be 50kcals, as obviously whipped cream is so light it's not practical to measure it by weight.

The can does contain 250g grams of *compressed* cream - but once it is squirted out in aerosol form it will occupy a LOT more space than 250ml as the volume of space it occupies is mostly full of air (although it will still *weigh* 250g if you could collect it all together in one giant jug in its squirted form, if you see what I mean).

On syns online standard aerosol cream is:

Cream, Aerosol cream, 2 level tbsp ½

A level tbsp is 15ml, so 100ml (which is what they say is 50kcal) would be 3.5 syns if it was standard cream. So that sounds about right if this is a low fat version at 50kcal per 100ml ie 2.5 syns per 100ml.

So basically this cream is 2.5 syns for 100ml or at 50kcal x 0.15ml (a level tbsp) comes out at 0.5 syns per level tbsp or 1 syn for 3 level tbsp. (rounding from the precise value of 0.375 syns per level tbsp)

OMG Thanks so much! So I sorta don't have to be the bearer of bad news. Phew! This is very helpful because I was way off before. I've decided not to go crazy with the whipped cream from now on. I mean, 3 level TB for 1 syn just isn't worth it to me... the old way I was measuring it was silly I guess. I used a digital scale to weigh 1/2 syns worth about 19 grams of whipped cream, which was way off, because it was WAY more than 3 level TBs!!! I was prob eating about 1Cup whipped cream and calling it 1/2 a syn because it weighed 19g!! Craziness. So maybe I can have the odd squirt, but I won't be eating it everyday anymore.
Seriously, you're a life saver!

So basically this cream is 2.5 syns for 100ml or at 50kcal x 0.15ml (a level tbsp) comes out at 0.5 syns per level tbsp or 1 syn for 3 level tbsp. (rounding from the precise value of 0.375 syns per level tbsp)

Wait! So based on your calcs then am I wrong about the whole can being 75syns? Or is everyone else wrong about the 6.5 syns? I guess I'm still confused.

No, you're mixing up your millilitres and grams again. They are not equal as squirty cream is full of air so the weight and volume don't correspond in the way they would in a liquid that had no air in.

It is 50kcal per 100ml - but that is squirted volume - The can contains A LOT more than 250ml in squirted volume (1196ml in total as you correctly calculated) It contains 250 grams, yes, but if you squirted all those grams out they would occupy a lot more than 250 millitres by volume.

Last edited:
So really if I wanted to find out how many syns were in an entire can I'd have to buy a brand new one and squirt the whole thing out in a jug and measure how many millilitres its is in all.
But I understand that for the time being, 100ml squirted is 2.5 syns which is still WAY less than what I was calling 1/2 syn.

No, because we've already worked out that the whole can contains 1196ml by volume when squirted out :)

- The whole can is 250 grams. It is this weight whether it is compressed or squirted out, its weight doesn't change.
- Data: 55ml of whipped cream is 11.5g
- 250g contains 21.74 'doses' of 11.5g (250/11.5 = 21.74)
- Data: 11.5g occupies 55ml in volume when squirted out
- So the whole can occupies 1196ml squirted out (21.74 x 55ml = 1196)

So one can contains 1196ml by volume and 250g by weight.

The calories only ever refer to the squirted volume:
- Data: "100ml contains: 50kcals, 0.6prot, 2.3carbs, 4.3grams of fat"

So that's the only information you need, the rest is irrelevant. Whenever you use it just:
- measure the squirted volume (eg level tablespoons, 100ml in a measuring jug or whatever)
- divide by 100ml
- multiply by 50kcal
- divide by 20 to get the syn value

Ok I see now...I dunno why I'm making this so complicated for myself! I got it now though.
40ml=1/2 syn
100ml=2.5 syns
and the whole can, 1196ml=about 30syns

Thanks for your help today Ermintrude!!!

Ok I see now...I dunno why I'm making this so complicated for myself! I got it now though.
40ml=1/2 syn
- No, 40ml = 1 syn:
40g/100g = 0.4
0.4 x 55kcal =22 kcal
22/20 = 1.1 syns
round down to
1syn ;)

100ml=2.5 syns Correct! :D
and the whole can, 1196ml=about 30syns

Thanks for your help today Ermintrude!!!
No worries :D

Oops sorry, typo...got it in my notepad as 40ml squirted=1syn just for future refrence. LoL Thanks again tho!

teen said:
That was heavy going lololol So if I buy a can I will make sure I use it in one week and save 30 syns for it lol

LoL pretty much!

Back