Extra Easy Chicken Tikka Chasni (4 syns pp)

GeekGirlxx

Hey guys!

Long time viewer, first time poster, and all that jazz...

Recently joined up Slimming World (truth be told, it's mine and the Mrs's 4th attempt, but the Lord loves a trier...) and although we had accumulated a stack of recipes from previous attempts at the diet, one thing that always eluded us was a decent recipe for a Chasni.

(Incase anyone doesn't know what a Chasni is, I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist outside Scotland - it's a very sweet curry, bright red in colour, quite fruity and totally addictive)

Being curry fans, we have one at least twice a week and although madras and masala recipes are commonplace online, I missed my old favourite. I lucked out by finding a recipe online and once I had made a few substitutions to it, made it as SW friendly as I could.

Made this last week, and immediately made a batch of 6 portions of sauce to freeze as it was SO tasty! Anyone who likes sweet chicken dishes, or just fancies something different, give this one a try - you won't be disappointed!

Specific Equipment

Griddle for dry-frying the chicken in the tikka seasoning. If you don't have a griddle, just fry as you would normally - tandoori spice on the chicken before frying would be optional, but I loved it and thought it gave the dish that extra bit of taste :)

Ingredients
  • 400ml Passata
  • 1 tbsp Mild Chilli Powder
  • 1 tbsp Hot Curry Powder
  • 1 tbsp Turmeric
  • Tandoori Seasoning (I got mine from the Asian section of the supermarket - you only need a couple of tablespoons but I'd be very shocked if this had a syn value)
  • 1 handful Mint Leaves, roughly chopped
  • 1 handful Coriander Leaves, roughly chopped
  • 6 tbsp Mango Chutney (Approx. 8 Syns, I went for Sainsbury's own)
  • 300g Fat Free Fromage Frais
  • Chicken breasts (I used 2 for this recipe and it was an ideal amount)
  • 1 x White Onion, finely diced
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Red Food Colouring
  • Fry light

Method

Rice

• Boil a pot of water.
  • Add a couple of tbsp of Turmeric to the water, Salt and a dash of cumin.
  • Allow 1 cup of rice per person.
  • I use a spice diffuser (small metal dish that I can add things to that won't end up mixed in with the food - you can buy them online for a couple of quid, or alternatively use a kilner muslin bag) with some cloves, a cinnamon stick and cardamom pods to flavour the water too, but this is purely to my tastes and not needed :)

Chicken
  1. Keep the breasts whole and coat in the Tandoori seasoning.
  2. Pre-heat the griddle, spray the griddle very lightly with the fry light and fry them for a couple of mins either side. It's OK if some of the mixture burns into the chicken, I wanted to try and get a tandoori-taste without using a proper tandoori oven, y'know, because I live in Glasgow and tandoori ovens in folks' flats isn't commonplace :)
    2ijr9jo.jpg
  3. Take them off the heat and slice them up. It's absolutely fine if they're still raw in the middle, they'll cook through once you add them to the finished sauce.

Other Ingredients
  1. Brown the onions and add the Passata, Chilli Powder, Curry Powder, Turmeric and Mango Chutney, Salt & Pepper, Mint and mix.
  2. Add the chicken back to this mixture, bring it to the boil then immediately reduce it and allow it to simmer for 10/15 mins or so.
  3. Take it off the heat, add the Fromage Frais and a COUPLE OF DROPS of food colouring. It won't go as red as Chasni out of an Indian restaurant goes, but it's enough to colour it and give it a dark-red look.
  4. Put it back on the heat for 2 mins while stirring, just to make sure the sauce is hot with the Fromage Frais in it now. Add the majority of the coriander now, and keep some for decoration.
  5. Sprinkle the remainder of the coriander over it, and serve with the rice :)
    19ktom.jpg

I really hope you guys like. It's definitely worth making if you've never had one!

If you do like it and want to batch the sauce up for a time-saver next time you make it, the ingredients that can be pre-made are in pink in the ingredients list :) the only thing you'd be looking at doing fresh was your chicken and adding the Fromage Frais in :)

Back