That many calories?? Really??

nottinghillguy

Hello all. This is my first post on the forum, so please excuse any breaches in etiquette!

I have been trying to establish what my daily caloric requirements are and have used probably a dozen or so tools and calculators online. The average answer I'm getting is between 3800 and 4000 calories, which seems rather high. Yet they are remarkably consistent. Does this suggest that I could comfortably eat 2500-3000 calories and still expect to lose weight?

I wonder if there's anyone who could reassure me that this figure is broadly correct and that, for example, the method of calculation doesn't get skewed at the top end of the scale. Here are the details:

Male
6'1"
323lbs (yup, afraid so. But was 380 a couple of years ago)

I go for a brisk (4-mile) walk every day at roughly 3.5mph. At weekends I sometimes will do more.

Thank for you any thoughts.

Hi Nottinghill guy. It's not how many calories that's important but what those calories are. For you to release weight you need to start burning fat and to make your body burn fat you have to remove the other fuel which is sugar and foods that when digested become sugars like bread, pasta, rice and potatoes. So instead of carbohydrates you should have more fats/oils and the healthiest oil on the planet is coconut oil. There is a very good documentary called 'fat sick and nearly dead' on youtube of a guy the same age and weight as you who released all the excess pounds, check it out.

Back