the BMI 25 rule

M-azing

almost skinny
Hi there,

I've been lurking for quite a while now, hope you don't mind :eek:

On the English and American Cambridge related websites, I keep reading that if your BMI is 25 or lower you can't do the SS-version of Cambridge and you have to switch because otherwise you'll end up burning lean tissue.
I'm from the Netherlands (hence the metric system in my sig :D)and nobody who's on Cambridge here follows this rule. It isn't mentioned by our counselor, on websites or in the brochures. I even have a friend who'll ocassionaly does a SS-week even though she is only a meagre 55 kgs.

I hope someone can explain the difference between 'us' and the British/American version of Cambridge. Because I'm slightly concerned about wrecking my metabolism and burning my lean mass (Oh, my body fat percentage is 38%)

We can't SS with a BMI of less than 25 as it burns lean tissue with includes things like your heart. Im not sure why you aren't told this but if I was you i'd go upto the 810 plan with you get to 25 anyway. Better safe than sorry after all.

I guess it depends on your CDC.. I'm from the Netherlands too..

My CDC made her own extra booklet (print outs)and told me I can't go as low as I want to by just SS-ing and insists (very persistantly) on Add A Meal weeks etc.. She is a bit less strict with other things but nothing that seems too harmful.

You can still lose weight by going up and eating like.. chicken and green veggies and such. I think it's horrible some CDCs apparently don't care who they have in their practice as long as they make money.. my CDC prob. wouldn't even accept someone weighing a healthy weight like your friend...

I highly doubt there's a difference in people in NL and UK/USA that would explain what you're trying to get an explanation for...

Thanks for your quick replies!

I have to admit I really don't mind adding a meal sooner than anticipated. We've got a little one and it is so strange for her not to have a regular meal with her mom and dad. My Better Half still has quite a few pounds to go (BMI 33), so there will be at least one parent eating veggies and fish/chicken with her. When my BMI hits 25, that is.

My CDC just started out, I doubt if she's even aware of this rule. As a motivation I read a lot of Dutch CDC-websites, but never once I read anything about the different approaches to weightloss, only about the eating week every 3 weeks.

True, the dutch forum/sites don't say anything about this. It's a bit odd I have to agree with you on that.. but I'm sure you can tell your CDC you want to move up even if she's not aware of the rule..

Ah well!! Good luck with your last kilo's ;-)

My BMI is below 25 and my CDC has not mentioned anything about it being dangerous and burning lean tissue e.g. the heart.... Should I mention something to her do you think? My BMI is 23 and I am planning on moving up the stages in 2 weeks time.

Oh I should add that my ticker is not up to date so I don't have 21lb still to go!!

I'm also from Holland, and have a BMI of 25. Yet she advised me to go on SS for 6 weeks, as I want to loose 12 kilo (=26 lbs).
So six weeks straight on w/o an 'eating week' after 3 weeks!

She never mentioned the BMI >25-rule.
I think the reason for this is that we, unlike in UK, don't have a law that forbids very low calorie diets for people with certain low BMI's.

Last edited:
My BMI is below 25 and my CDC has not mentioned anything about it being dangerous and burning lean tissue e.g. the heart.... Should I mention something to her do you think? My BMI is 23 and I am planning on moving up the stages in 2 weeks time.

Your bmi is 23 and your on cambridge diet - dont mind me asking but how much do you weggh because i am to get to your bmi, i certainly wouldnt want to be losing it.

My BMI is less than 25 (just!) and my CDC has not mentioned anything about working up the stages at all. I still have quite a bit of weight to go to get to my goal and I was under the impression from my CDC that I would use SS to get to my goal and then work my way up the stages....

Everyone should be on no less than 810 cals once they have reached BMI25. This is in line with Government legislation. You need to contact you CDC regarding changing programmes.

my bm is now 25.06

and i'm doing ss

Back