The last few pounds to goal...and beyond

slimboots

Hello all......thought I would start a diary as I approach goal to document my journey through those pesky, difficult last few pounds as well as maintenance. I think there’s lots of help for losing the weight but so little to help when we finally get there. So a bit about me and my plan.

I’m a teeny 4ft 11 inches tall which unfortunately means a tiny gain really shows. My ideal weight is around 8 and a half stone which I’ve been at once in my adult life. I historically hovered around 9 stone and was reasonably happy although always chasing that elusive final half stone.

Anyway, three years ago due to depression, medication for the depression and a relationship break up things went massively out of control. At my heaviest I was just under 11 stone which for someone my height is obese (maybe morbidly obese....). This was binge drinking and eating my feelings I think.....I just got on with it and told myself I was happy. I got down to 9st 7 last year on Cambridge for a friends wedding and felt good but I never worked up the steps and stopped the diet last November after the wedding. I actually only gained a few pounds and managed to maintain at between 9st 11 and 10 stone for the majority of 2013 (for three years I’ve been on and off every diet under the sun so you’ll see my posts historically all over minimins). I decided in September that the last stone and a half HAD to go. Something inside me snapped and I just felt it was time to get a grip of my life once and for all. I settled on slim and save and have loved it. Struggling has been an exception rather than a rule. I lost 11 pounds in four weeks and now for the first time since my break up I see a number on the scale that starts with an 8 (just) and I feel fantastic for it. Got around another 6lbs to go before I maintain. For maintenance I’m planning on following the Dukan conso for a few months. I’ve chosen to put my diary here because I’m still on S+S until target but also I think a maintenance diary is useful for people. I may change my mind on the dukan thing depending on how I get on.

I hope this helps and really want to give back to the forum in thanks for all everything it has done for me – I’m mostly a lurker but reading through other peoples journeys has been massively helpful. Hopefully some of you would like to hop on board my journey but note I am close to goal and therefore not going to be 100%....I am happy to take the scenic route for my last few pounds. Mainly I relax one night a week and have a meal involving whatever I want and I drink alcohol. I always get back on track the next day and have continued to lose – although obviously not at the pace I would if I was 100%.

I will also be reintroducing exercise in the coming weeks as I get closer to goal and eating proper food. Stupidly I am a bit reluctant to do this as I know it may result in an initial gain but ultimately I will feel better and long terms it will help my maintenance goal! Anyone have any views/thoughts/experience on this. Prevously I was a good runner and loved training for a marathon in 2010. I also really enjoy body pump and bikram yoga when I can afford the classes at £15 a pop :eek:

Hi Slimboots,

What an inspirational story! I think you've hit the nail on the head- once we all get it into our heads, we CAN lose weight- it's the maintenance bit that's so difficult. Like you I never worked up the steps in Cambridge, I've never reached my initial heaviest weight again but definitely came close. I was so determined to lose the weight that I never stopped to think about maintenance once I got to goal and even when my consultant tackled the subject I was like " yeah yeah yeah, I know how to do it" I wish I had listened!!!!
Those 6 lbs will probably test you to the limits but just think of it as a tiny wee number...an achievable goal that's so close who cares if you crawl or sprint to the finish...you know you're getting there one way or the other! I've been reading about the Dukan diet ( and actually make my s ans s porridge into a dukan type pancake some mornings...) whatever you think will work for you is worth a try. I'll be watching closely to see how you get on with it. The very best of luck getting those pesky 6 lbs off.

Hi Lainey...thanks for your response and apologies for the massive delay. My week has been a complete nightmare. I live in London but originally from Glasgow....had to go home for a week as my father doesn’t keep well (he is now fine)....and was completely off the rails food wise. Got home Saturday and back on track since then. Not weighed in this week (I normally weigh on a Friday)....I’m hoping that if I remain on track I will limit the damage I done while away.

In some ways coming so far off track has been good for me – it has shown me that I am FAR from thinking like a skinny girl and making good choices. I mean I was completely out of control – alcohol, takeaways, cakes, chocolates, biscuits, crisps....literally anything I fancied I had! Obviously with what was going on there was no fresh food in the house which can go some way to explaining a TINY part but ultimately if I can walk to the supermarket and pick up a load of crap food I would have been capable of picking up some protein and veg!!!

Anyway, hopefully it’s a lesson learnt and I’m back home and back on track – better than coming off the wagon at a later stage and staying there – now I know there’s still a lot of work to do mentally. Bought a months bikram yoga pass on Saturday too and went Saturday and this morning. Also, managed a run last night (tiny 1.5 miles...starting slow....can’t believe that only three years ago I managed 26 miles!!!!).

Hope everyone else managed to have a good week and weekend – I’ll try and update during the week but will be back on Friday for sure with weigh in results....

So, another day and so far so good. Been back on plan since Saturday and have began working out again with two bikram classes and a couple of runs since then. The bloat I developed over my week back home seems to have gone so hopefully my Friday morning weigh in will reflect this and I at least stay the same as my last weigh in two Fridays ago.... Hope everyone is having a great day x

Hi Slimboots,

Sorry to hear about your Dad,hopefully everything will be fine.It must be something in the air in Glasgow-I was there at the weekend and went completely off the rails too.I have no excuse -I just thought I deserved it because I was away from home,happy to see my sisters and felt like I was on holiday.Like you I am far from thinking like a skinny person but I'm working towards it....

As I've written on other diaries here the softly softly approach doesn't work with me,it's my mouth that eats the food so I don't expect sympathy,I'm just getting back to it....and for you it's 6 lbs-that's all-you know fine well how easy it is to lose it so just suck it up and do it!!! You'll be so pleased with yourself when you get there,just keep thinking how you'll feel then.Good luck x

Thanks Lainey... My dad is fine now... He is on the mend and was not as serious as we first thought thankfully.

I've had a sneaky peak at the scales and it doesn't look good but official weigh in tomorrow so I will know by then. I'm at a party on Saturday night and I will be drinking alcohol and then Sunday I have dinner at a friends. I will eat what I'm served without guilt and enjoy every second. When I get to maintenance I'm doing dukan which will involve a celebration meal once a week- I guess I'm "practising" that now haha. As I said in my original post I will be taking the scenic route to goal as I went hell for leather to get to this stage. I'm happy with that approach.

Hopefully you enjoyed your time away from home and get back on track now to limit the damage. I completely agree regarding the softly, softly approach- doesn't work for me either- I'm an adult that makes choices and coming off track isn't okay... Being told "don't beat yourself up" doesn't work at all in my opinion. If I don't "beat myself up" I will never get back on plan, I will find myself back on the express train to obesity and then what? I will "beat myself up" trying to lose it again. No way! I feel that since I'm allowing myself one meal a week off plan there is no excuse for any other deviations - that's why I'm furious with myself for last week. I said to a good friend (my diet buddy who lost four stone on slimming world) a few weeks ago that I seen an 8 on the scale at last official weigh in and I was NEVER going to see a number beginning with 9 again! God... Fast forward a fortnight and I'm right there- just so easy to lose the plot!!

Anyway, chastising done. I'm back on track and feeling so much better for it! That's the weird thing- I really didn't enjoy going mad with that food for a full week. I felt sluggish and bloated! Not worth it. Here's hoping for not too much damage come weigh in tomorrow- I will update when I have the result!!! Eeek!!! Xxx

Thanks Lainey... My dad is fine now... He is on the mend and was not as serious as we first thought thankfully. I've had a sneaky peak at the scales and it doesn't look good but official weigh in tomorrow so I will know by then. I'm at a party on Saturday night and I will be drinking alcohol and then Sunday I have dinner at a friends. I will eat what I'm served without guilt and enjoy every second. When I get to maintenance I'm doing dukan which will involve a celebration meal once a week- I guess I'm "practising" that now haha. As I said in my original post I will be taking the scenic route to goal as I went hell for leather to get to this stage. I'm happy with that approach. Hopefully you enjoyed your time away from home and get back on track now to limit the damage. I completely agree regarding the softly, softly approach- doesn't work for me either- I'm an adult that makes choices and coming off track isn't okay... Being told "don't beat yourself up" doesn't work at all in my opinion. If I don't "beat myself up" I will never get back on plan, I will find myself back on the express train to obesity and then what? I will "beat myself up" trying to lose it again. No way! I feel that since I'm allowing myself one meal a week off plan there is no excuse for any other deviations - that's why I'm furious with myself for last week. I said to a good friend (my diet buddy who lost four stone on slimming world) a few weeks ago that I seen an 8 on the scale at last official weigh in and I was NEVER going to see a number beginning with 9 again! God... Fast forward a fortnight and I'm right there- just so easy to lose the plot!! Anyway, chastising done. I'm back on track and feeling so much better for it! That's the weird thing- I really didn't enjoy going mad with that food for a full week. I felt sluggish and bloated! Not worth it. Here's hoping for not too much damage come weigh in tomorrow- I will update when I have the result!!! Eeek!!! Xxx

Glad your Dad is on the mend.
Know what you mean about feeling bloated and sluggish,I hate how I feel after over indulging and love that "empty" feeling when I've completed a few weeks on this-can't wait for that again.

Good luck with tomorrow xx

Okay so my net gain for the last two weeks was half a pound.....weighed in this morning at 9st on the nose. Pretty happy with that on balance but annoyed at what it could have been if I'd been on track the entire fortnight - these are the lessons we learn I guess....it was my first proper deviation since I started on 12th September and I guess it's a lucky few who lose consistently right until goal. I rounded up for my sig so I remain at the point of needing to lose 6lbs to target. I'm hopinh to acheive this by the end of November - that's a full month for six pounds which should be achievable if I behave myself. Have put my weigh ins below in case anyone at a simialr weight with a similar goal is interested in my journey...

12th September 9st 11.5
20th September 9st 6.5
25th September 9st 5.5
4th October 9st 1.5
11th October 9st 1
18th October 8st 13.5
25th October - no weigh in. Away from home and off the wagon in a big way for that full week
1st November - 9st

Aim to reach target of 8st 8lbs by end of November.

Hi Slimboots,

Thats not too bad considering you were completely off track...onwards and downwards with the weight,even if you take the scenic route 6lbs is very achievable!

Thanks Lainey... Yes I'm happy with that. What I your diary called? I'm on my iPhone so it's hard to see who has started the diaries....

Hi Slimboots it's called Bikini in Oz I'm coming to get you-originally we had planned to go to Oz for Xmas but the plans have changed due to work changesfor both my hubby and I-but that doesn't mean the weightloss goals have changed:)

So after my lovely day out and dinner with friends yesterday I am back on plan today. God, it is HARD today for some reason. Think it's because I done a lot of exercise yesterday I am extra hungry. I managed to stick to just one meal off plan though so hopefully getting back in to ketosis should be reasonably straight forward!!!!!

Even with my planned "celebration meal" I was fairly well behaved. I only ate half the flatbread starter, main was paella however as my friend served up I told him he could immediately put half the serving straight back in the pot as it was FAR too much. Dessert was a contribution by me - chocolate cake with vanilla icing and raspberry....after cooking it I just didn't want any. Took a small slice to sample it - did not finish it. I did indugle in one glass of wine and some cheese a bit after dinner but all in all a successful planned deviation - just need the keto to find me now :)

Hi Slimboots,

You'll be back in ketosis in no time at all.It seems as if you were sensible in your choices yesterday so if anything you've learnt how to say no!!!

Go you with all that exercise-I did my 60 squats this morning,thought I was going to die during them but fine now-it's something I'm really going to have to get used to-exercise.

Take it easy for the next few days until ketosis kicks in. X

Hello Slimboots

I've just popped across for a nosey.........well done for your loses......I really believe that to maintain your goal weight you cannot go back to the life you had before......find a sympathetic thin friend and ask how they eat.......my friend is not thin by accident it is definitely design....there are lots of high calorie foods she will not eat....if she goes out for a meal she adjusts what she eats for a couple of days to compensate......she sticks to the same sort of food most days and the bulk of carbs comes from fruit and veg. Most importantly she feels that being slim is more life enhancing than any food treat.....but she REALLY believes it.....I'm starting to respect her self discipline instead of being jealous of it....it is all of those tiny little decisions you make every day to say no to things and make good food choices that keep you slim.........

Day two of trying to re-enter ketosis– still starving....I do think this is largely to do with exercise though. Lainey I have been trying to take it as easy as possible while attempting to work on my fitness but god this is so hard!!!! Like you said in your diary though that you’d seen and loved “losing weight is hard, being fat is hard...choose your hard”....very true.

Thanks for stopping by Cake or Death. You’ve done so well. And thank you for your tips. That is so true. My deviation when I went back to Glasgow was a wake up call for me......when I’m not “on the diet”...I’m spectacular with my greed! I definitely need to work on balance although I have to say I have been much better since embarking on slim and save this time round with my deviations generally lasting one day as opposed to being an excuse to throw in the towel!!!

It’s funny you say that about your friend. My best friend is very slim and always has been. She never needs to make up for big meals because she generally doesn’t have them!!!!! I’ve identified that her secret is simply having normal portions and not feeling the need to clear her plate!!!! I think those of us who struggle with weight sometimes panic at the thought of leaving food!!! I know I do. However slim and save has taught me that if I can happily survive when I have a 130 calorie dinner then when I’m at the end of my weight loss journey there’s no reason why I can’t enjoy a small main meal and be satisfied with that instead of feeling the need to pile everything on my plate!!!!

Hope you’re both having a successful Tuesday – have a great day J

12th September 9st 11.5
20th September 9st 6.5
25th September 9st 5.5
4th October 9st 1.5
11th October 9st 1
18th October 8st 13.5
25th October - no weigh in. Away from home and off the wagon in a big way for that full week
1st November - 9st

Aim to reach target of 8st 8lbs by end of November.

Okay so weigh in yesterday and half a pound on to be 9st 0.5lbs! Other than my planned meal last Sunday I've been 100%. After a sneaky peak earlier in the week I wasn't expecting a loss. I'm due on in three days and my weight loss history shows very small losses or nothing at all just before totm so I feel okay. I trust the plan so I just need to crack on and have faith that the scale will catch up next week.

I've also done two 5k runs, two bikram yoga classes and a body pump class. Hopefully the muscle repair following my exercise is also contributing to water retention. I will crack on with good behaviour this coming week and see what happens next Friday. Fingers crossed!

Hi Slimboots,

0.5lbs....I could put on 5lbs before this diet when I'm due on.

Combined with exercise like you've done half a pound is understandable. Don't sweat-it'll whoosh off next week x

Thanks Lainey, I am feeling okay about it! Had my celebration meal of some fantastic burritos and a few drinks Friday night and been back on track since.

Since I'm not 100 per cent and still having my one meal deviation and some drinks once a week I can't complain about slow loss! Fingers crossed for next week x

Mmmmm burritos...love Mexican food.

You know you'll get there in the end....and to be honest your approach is a healthy one so no stress about 0.5lbs on.

Have a great week.

Okay, so weighed in on Saturday to a 2lbs gain.....OMG.....I had my night off on Thursday and TOTM still hasn't showed up so I'm sure these are contributing factors. I feel and look slimmer and I've been exercising religiously so I won't sweat the number on the scales just now. I doubt my aim of target by the end of November is going to happen now!!!! I think based on recent weigh ins the best I can do is get to 9 stone on the nose and maintain this throughout the festive period. If i lose along the way then great as I won't take my foot off the gas other than my planned once a week deviations. In the new year I'll get back to basics with no deviations to get rid of the final six...which is rapidly becoming the bain of my life lol!!!!

Back