The volcano

At least now they know now just how dangerous volcanic ash is for aircraft.

It "sandblasts" the windows (making it impossible to see out) and the glass on the landing lights (making them fairly useless), it damages the fuselage and anything on the outside of the plane, clogs up the machinery, is electrostatic so it interferes with radio signals - but the worst thing is that the heat of jet engines can turn the dust into glass, which stops the engines from working!

When a British Airways flight flew into a dust cloud in 1982, the crew had no idea what was happening. The story is fascinating:
British Airways Flight 9 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and what was learned from that experience made people much more aware of the dangers of volcanic ash, and changed the procedures involved.

Which is why everyone is stranded.

As nice as the weather has been I have fingers crossed for a weather change which will blow it all away - I cannot imagine how stressful it must be to be stuck somewhere that is not home, I wish I had a bigger house and could go to Manchester Airport & pick up some stranded passengers & at least give them somewhere comfy to sleep until they can get a flight home. Not to mention how much money this must be costing people, I don't know how I would cope to be honest.

I just hope the airlines don't get pressured into compromising safety. I'm due to fly to the UK on Friday but tbh it's not the end of the world if we have to postpone it. I really feel for those who are stranded away from home.

Loads of tourists stuck here in Gambia and without much money. They are being given free accommodation and an extra meal.
Very bad for retail businesses,mine and others, as the tourists here have no money spend and the new ones are not here to spend.
Also many who need to get back for A level exams.
i real knock on effect that will take ages to sort out i think.

i think it's terrifying! i feel for everyone involved. I really think if yu're due to travel in the next few months you should consider the possibility that it won't happen. i have a hen do and my wedding both abroad coming up (hen in June, wedding in July) and we're making contingency plans just incase.

also insurance wise you're not covered for much

i hope everyone is ok, but i'd rather a no fly zone than flying and planes crashing.

hi guys - I got stuck in South of France last Thursday.....when I was supposed to fly home to Belfast....Thursday flight was cancelled...

so Easyjet transferred us to Nice to Geneva and then Geneva to Belfast Flights on Friday...got to Geneva but the flight to Belfast (s'posed to be on Friday night) was cancelled - had to stay in Geneva overnight...and then make plans to travel over the weekend.....

...we took the TGV from Geneva to Paris at 7am on Saturday morning, then the Eurostar from Paris to London on Saturday afternoon....stayed in London on Saturday night....then train from Euston to Glasgow on sunday morning, train from Glasgow to Ayr Sunday afternoon, coach from Ayr to Stranraer Sunday teatime and then the HSS ferry across from Stranraer to Belfast on Sunday evening - got home 11pm Sunday and had been travelling since 9am Thursday morning - with four huge suitcases and 2 kids.....the whole thing has cost us over £3000 :eek:

absolute nightmare....like nothing I have ever experienced before....

Easyjet are (apparently) obligated to reimburse travel and accomodation costs (as per EU regulations)...but no idea if or when they will - time will tell, I guess !

at least we're all home safe and sound... allbeit 4 days and £3,000down later !

Debz x

Oh Debz what a terrible ,expensive ,expereince for you all.
At least you are home and safe now.I do hope you get your money back. Good luck with that
xx

Spoke to Amy yesterday she is still in Ohio should have flown home yesterday they have told her the earliest flight they can have is 28th April but thats not guaranteed.

The group she is with were on the local news and the locals are donating trips and bits and bobs to the students to help out.

So looks like she could be away for some time yet:cry:

Last edited:
hi guys - I got stuck in South of France last Thursday.....when I was supposed to fly home to Belfast....Thursday flight was cancelled...

so Easyjet transferred us to Nice to Geneva and then Geneva to Belfast Flights on Friday...got to Geneva but the flight to Belfast (s'posed to be on Friday night) was cancelled - had to stay in Geneva overnight...and then make plans to travel over the weekend.....

...we took the TGV from Geneva to Paris at 7am on Saturday morning, then the Eurostar from Paris to London on Saturday afternoon....stayed in London on Saturday night....then train from Euston to Glasgow on sunday morning, train from Glasgow to Ayr Sunday afternoon, coach from Ayr to Stranraer Sunday teatime and then the HSS ferry across from Stranraer to Belfast on Sunday evening - got home 11pm Sunday and had been travelling since 9am Thursday morning - with four huge suitcases and 2 kids.....the whole thing has cost us over £3000 :eek:

absolute nightmare....like nothing I have ever experienced before....

Easyjet are (apparently) obligated to reimburse travel and accomodation costs (as per EU regulations)...but no idea if or when they will - time will tell, I guess !

at least we're all home safe and sound... allbeit 4 days and £3,000down later !

Debz x

What a nightmare trip for you thank goodness you are all home safe and sound.

I work in a hospital and it's causing so many problems. We have surgeons stuck all over the world, as well as patients so everything has to be re booked. It's crazy!

Oh Debz what a terrible ,expensive ,expereince for you all.
At least you are home and safe now.I do hope you get your money back. Good luck with that
xx

What a nightmare trip for you thank goodness you are all home safe and sound.

Thanks :) Just sooooo pleased to be back home - and, to be honest, any money we get back will be bonus.....

hope Amy gets home soon - they're re-opening Air space from 10pm tonight - will keep everything crossed for her !

Debz x

Just seen footage of the first flight arriving at Heathrow, from Vancouver.

And the weather forecast is for southwesterly winds by the weekend, which will push the ash away from us.

thats some journey huni, especially with 2 kids.
Here's hoping that everthing stays ok until the 8th May for us. xx

Hopefully you'll be ok for tomorrow now Maypole. I just saw on the news that the planes are flying again :)

Hopefully you'll be ok for tomorrow now Maypole. I just saw on the news that the planes are flying again :)

Thanks eternity x

Well I should be at heathrow airport now but instead I am at home :cry: because our fight was cancelled about 6 hours before airspace was opened. We rang the travel agents & they offered a date of 29th April which would only have given us about 6 days in Oz as we were travelling to other places so we decided to get a refund AND then airspace opened at 9.30pm & our plane showed as flying so we called the agent at 9am yesterday but cos we have cancelled we have been taken off the plane & could only get back on if we paid business class at 6 grand for both of us :eek:. So we are now planning a bit of a road trip of the UK & plan to try & get to OZ in Jan 11. We got the money back on the flight & half on the hotel. The insurance isn't worth the paper it is written on as we get nothing from them. We paid for it all on a credit card so are seeing if we can get some money back that way. We are lucky in a way as we are at home & not stuck abroad & a lot of our trip was staying with family as well. Since my mum got sick I have learnt that life is to short so I have taken most of it in my stride really. This whole trip was for our 1st wedding aniversary so as long as Me & hubby are together it doesn't really matter :D

What a lovely, positive post maypole. I really hope that you both enjoy your unexpected UK road trip, you certainly deserve to having been SO unlucky, yet keeping such a positive attitude! Best Wishes.

Back