Thinternet - ITV 8:00pm tonight.

KD

Gone fishing
As Eating Disorder Awareness Week begins, Fiona Foster reveals the network of pro-anorexia websites encouraging young girls to starve themselves, and speaks to families struggling to cope with the illness, who claim that the government is neglecting treatment of the disease.

I didn't even know it was Eating Disorder Awareness Week!

As Eating Disorder Awareness Week begins, Fiona Foster reveals the network of pro-anorexia websites encouraging young girls to starve themselves, and speaks to families struggling to cope with the illness, who claim that the government is neglecting treatment of the disease.

I didn't even know it was Eating Disorder Awareness Week!

Hi KD :D

This is an issue me and the two other girls in our Young Persons Team have been researching recently. Sad to say it is becoming more common now and there are websites that encourage anorexia as a means to the supposed "perfect body":( :mad:

OMG that's awful :eek:

Too true hun and it makes me so mad. No way will Freya ever be getting any chance to look at websites like that. Over my dead body. Kids have enough to deal with nowadays as it is.:(

Just seen this, oh no.

It wasn't on in Wales unfortunately...

Maybe i should hook up to those sites, may help me stick to the freakin' diet!!!!

It wasn't on in Wales unfortunately...

Maybe i should hook up to those sites, may help me stick to the freakin' diet!!!!

Hi Karen,

Only my opinion but I think you may be shocked if you looked at and hooked up to one of those sites. I know I was when I was reading about 8, 9 and 10 year olds who were starving themselves to death while their families looked on and felt utterly helpless.

Lacey

They even have their own language. The term is 'pro-ana', and 'thinspiration' photos mostly involve visible ribs and hip bones. It's all about 'owning' anorexia and it's not about supporting people and helping them recover - it's about supporting anorexia as a lifestyle choice. It's very, very scary. Not something we should even joke about.

I'd love to hear from anyone who saw the programme - how much detail did they go into (I don't have TV)?

Back