Tina's diary of hopefull optimism!

Girls, just keep on giving it your all and you'll know when you're at your happy weight. I know that sounds a bit iffy but one day you'll look in the mirror and you'll know when it's time to start maintaining. Wether that's at a BMI of 21, 23, 27 or 34. The main thing is life is that you're happy with your body. There's no point getting down to 9 stone just for the sake of it. If you're delighted at a BMI of 29 then you call goal at 29! Don't be fudged by the whole "Thou must be BMI between 18.5-25"

Incidentally, the most attractive bmi is said to be 20.8. Not that you should strive to call goal just to be deemed 'attractive' but it is a insight into what society sees as 'perfect'

Also, the British outlines on BMI is that under 20 is underweight, while our American friends deem under 18.5 to be underweight. So there's a little awkward grey area between 18.5 and 20 where there seems to be conflicting info on weather it's underweight or not.

You can check out this site Illustrated BMI Categories - a set on Flickr
it shows you pictures of different people of different BMI's - very useful if you're wanting a rough visual of your goal :)

Wow just went on that flickr site. It's mental. Totally normal looking girls are classed as overweight and even obese!

I've just tried looking at it, but it won't let me on my phone, so I will put the laptop on later and have a look, I bet it's interesting seeing different bmi's by photos because then it's not just a number.xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Mmmm why are kids pasta shapes so much nicer than hoops?? I had a fancy for spaghetti hoops but had to have bob the builder ones :) on a warbutons thin. Naughty really but niiiiiiiice!!!

Had to laugh as apparently it's one of my 5 a day :) tinned spaghetti heehee.

Mmmm why are kids pasta shapes so much nicer than hoops?? I had a fancy for spaghetti hoops but had to have bob the builder ones :) on a warbutons thin. Naughty really but niiiiiiiice!!!

Had to laugh as apparently it's one of my 5 a day :) tinned spaghetti heehee.

They are yummy! It's one of your five a day because of the tomato sauce :)

Kirsty, I'm one inch shorter than you and at 142lb I looked very healthy! You're going to look grand at 140lb. You can always tone up a bit if you're not completely happy, but hopefully you will be :)

kirsty_baird_26 said:
Was looking at the pics and some of the girls overweight and that look fantastic!!!
My BMI when i reach target puts me still as overweight but to me im happy there and a comfortable size 10 so not worried about my BMI!

I'm a healthy BMI now (but still got a stone to lose for goal) and I'm a nice size 14 lol I only really have a bit of extra padding round my middle an hips but after 3 kids and past 30 I'll never have a flat core again!! Its annoying coz I think ppl hear size 14 an think 'she's a strapping lass' but I don't think I'm particularly hefty!!

I hate waiting. It makes me nibbly :) been waiting aaaaallllllll day for the cavity wall company to come. Boooooo.

I'm off to make some lunch and there will be no picking at crap!!!!!

I am going to be really controversial here and put my neck on the line by saying that BMI is a complete crock of s**t!!!!

My personal trainer from a long time ago told me not to worry about my BMI because everyone is built differently. I think those flicker pictures prove it. If you reach your healthy BMI, then thats brilliant, but I don't think you can judge someones health by a stupid number that varies from person to person. For example my PT was told to loose weight by her GP because her BMI was too high. She was so fit and healthy, but she had lots of muscle meaning she weighed more. I know muscle doesn't weigh more than fat, but if you work out regulary you build muscle and that adds pounds! Fact! :)
According to the BMI scale I should weigh just under 9 stone and I can catagorically tell you all now that I will never ever weigh that much. According to the Dukan website my natural, ideal weight is 14stone, and I will be SO happy with that. I know you will all say that when I get to 14 stone I will wnat to loose more, but I am telling you now, I will never be 9 stone!!! :)

I think using the BMI scale as a goal is fantastic if it is realistic for you, but otherwise, (for the likes of me) it's crap!!! :)

I hate waiting. It makes me nibbly :) been waiting aaaaallllllll day for the cavity wall company to come. Boooooo.

I'm off to make some lunch and there will be no picking at crap!!!!!

What is it about waiting that turns you into a nervoud wreck?? I had to wait in last month for someone to come and check the damp in the bathroom, I was pacing up and down, biting my nails.
It was only a man with a little machine, and he was only here 5 mins!!! :)

I am going to be really controversial here and put my neck on the line by saying that BMI is a complete crock of s**t!!!!

My personal trainer from a long time ago told me not to worry about my BMI because everyone is built differently. I think those flicker pictures prove it. If you reach your healthy BMI, then thats brilliant, but I don't think you can judge someones health by a stupid number that varies from person to person. For example my PT was told to loose weight by her GP because her BMI was too high. She was so fit and healthy, but she had lots of muscle meaning she weighed more. I know muscle doesn't weigh more than fat, but if you work out regulary you build muscle and that adds pounds! Fact! :)
According to the BMI scale I should weigh just under 9 stone and I can catagorically tell you all now that I will never ever weigh that much. According to the Dukan website my natural, ideal weight is 14stone, and I will be SO happy with that. I know you will all say that when I get to 14 stone I will wnat to loose more, but I am telling you now, I will never be 9 stone!!! :)

I think using the BMI scale as a goal is fantastic if it is realistic for you, but otherwise, (for the likes of me) it's crap!!! :)
I totally agree, my own doctor told me its not a healty way to view someones weight and not to take it into account. She said they don't even use it in my surgery anymore!

Squeezyweezy said:

I agree too, my bro in law is a professional rugby player and his bmi is 34, he's one of the fittest leanest ppl iv ever met, not saying bmi doesn't have a purpose but I do think it puts ppl under even more pressure.

Lovely lego lady, spent most of my free time yesterday reading the whole of your diary, you are like wonder woman! I laughed and cried in bits! Just wanted to wish u all the best and will keep stalking for updates. You are definitely an inspiration :) xx

itsme said:
I agree too, my bro in law is a professional rugby player and his bmi is 34, he's one of the fittest leanest ppl iv ever met, not saying bmi doesn't have a purpose but I do think it puts ppl under even more pressure.

Lovely lego lady, spent most of my free time yesterday reading the whole of your diary, you are like wonder woman! I laughed and cried in bits! Just wanted to wish u all the best and will keep stalking for updates. You are definitely an inspiration :) xx

If you'd just seen me dribbling over a Jaffa cake you'd probably change your mind :)

The kids begged for em at the co op so Jaffa cakes are currently haunting me. Am I a terrible mother for thinking about letting em eat the whole box?? They are actually only 47 cals if anyone else is a secret Jaffaholic :) but be warned one is never enough!!!!

If you'd just seen me dribbling over a Jaffa cake you'd probably change your mind :)

The kids begged for em at the co op so Jaffa cakes are currently haunting me. Am I a terrible mother for thinking about letting em eat the whole box?? They are actually only 47 cals if anyone else is a secret Jaffaholic :) but be warned one is never enough!!!!

:8855: I'm a sucker for a jaffa, so I will be no help in a jaffa emergency like this one. :)

Chilli an rice for tea :) am rather stuffed!! Gotta run ma in law home when hubby finally arrives home :( then it's a date with the sky+ an some lovely 100 cal carte d'or ;) husband will be grumbling all night as the workmen didn't come today so he's emptied the loft for nothing!!! I've bought him a crate of Stella for after he refills the loft heehee!!!

On another note I'm considering buying my house? We've been renting it for last few yrs (sold ours then the sale fell thru on the new one so the 6 months here has become 3 years!!) we want a 4 bed but I think we can convert the loft to a nice kooky little room for jamie!! It's all odd angles an a funny shape lol will depend on what the landlords asking for it as he had it up for sale before we rented an the neighbours reckon he couldn't sell it coz he'd priced it way too high!!! Hopefully the recession will have made him see sense!!

Dilemma :( I'm really rather tired so off to bed ASAP but do I finish cleaning up the kitchen or do I eat the ice-cream I had planned????? The date with sky+ is so not happening :( but I've already logged my icecream an we wouldn't want an inaccurate MFP now would we????

The kitchen will only be a disaster site again by 9am tomoz :)

Back