Tragic case of 'Baby P'

SweetySuperstar

Hi everyone,

Completely unrelated to LL, but I've just been reading about Baby P, and how social and medical services completely failed this 17 month old baby. His mother, stepfather and a paedophile lodger abused this little boy, using him as a punchbag and finally killing him.

The Sun has set up a petition campaigning for those involved to lose their jobs over this unbelievable failing. I've just signed the petition, if anyone would like to do so, I have posted the link below...

Sun demands that everyone involved in Baby P case is fired | The Sun |News

R.I.P. Baby P - you're safe now.

Yes this is a terrible case, but it seems like not just socail services failed him but the medical proffession too. Everytime something like this happens its said we must never let this happen again and yet somehow we do

Hello again, just posted below an article from the Telegraph:

"The 17-month-old infant was placed on a child protection register and supposedly closely monitored by social services, health visitors, doctors and police.
But a catalogue of "systematic" failures meant that by the time his lifeless body was found on August 3 last year, it was too late to rescue him from the sustained abuse he suffered at the hands of his mother, her boyfriend and their lodger.
A total of 50 injuries were found on his body - 15 to the mouth - while his ribs and spine had been broken and his blonde curly hair shaved off.
His mother's partner - his "step-father" - was described as sadist with a fascination with Nazi memorabilia, while his mother was portrayed as "a slob, completely divorced from reality" who put her partner before her own child.
Born in March 2006, Baby P first came to the attention of the authorities when he was nine months old and briefly went into foster care before being returned to his mother within weeks.
Social worker Maria Ward was appointed to the family and, over the next eight months, noted a series of marks and injuries on the boy.
At the trial of his step-father and lodger Jason Owen, a jury heard how Baby P's mother repeatedly lied to the authorities and concealed her son's bruises by smearing them with chocolate.
Not only did care workers decide he did not need to be taken into care, but police told his mother she would not be prosecuted despite being arrested twice for suspected child cruelty.
In addition, a medical inspection by a paediatrician from Great Ormond Street Hospital two days before he died allegedly failed to spot what the prosecution claimed was probably an already broken spine.
Dr Sabah Al-Zayyat said Baby P was sitting up and wiggling his feet, which the prosecution argued was impossible. She has since been suspended pending further investigation.
The failures in care were criticised by MPs and charities, prompting Children's Minister Beverley Hughes to order a nationwide review.
MP Lynne Featherstone said Baby P had fallen through "safety net after safety net".
The family, who cannot be named for legal reasons, live in Haringey, north London, and were under the care of the same social services responsible for Victoria Climbie, who was tortured to death in 2000."

It is horrific - some of the things the family were thought to do was just totally barbaric and inhumane. I don't know if 'all' those that came into contact with the case should be fired - there are many stupid guidelines that would have been restricting the social workers intervening - but the doctor that saw him a day or two before he died should DEFINITELY be fired - not noticing a broken back? Etc. Total injustice to the poor baby. So so sad.

And most of all his parents should be thrown to hungry sharks.
Its appalling that a mother can allow things like this to happen. Its just not fair for a small helpless child to have lived with that kind of abuse. Awfully sad.

when I read this i went and give my we boy a huge hug. When he was 17 months he was the cutist thing on earth. with a cheeky little giggle, how on earth could someone hurt a little baby like that? I say give the mother, the "step father" and the lodger to a group of mothers and fathers for some true justice. this really makes my blood boil.

This is so heartbreaking. As a mum I love my two sons with all my being and it shocks me that any mother can do this, its disgusting and I agree the 3 monsters should be thrown it hungry sharks, a prison sentence is not enough. As for the Social Services, medical profession and everyone who was suppose to be looking out for the poor boys best interests have failed him and they all have blood on their hands and I don't know how they can live with themselves.

What a tragic little life he had, totally heartbreaking!

I can't even bear to look at the pictures, or read the reports. It makes me feel all horrible inside. I can't believe people are capable of such things. I know we don't have a death penalty in this country, but can't they make an exception?

B x

This makes me feel so sick to my stomach. I have two little girls, aged 2 and 4, and I just want to hug them.

One article said the GP noticed he was withdrawn and didn't want to be touched, but he didn't do anything about it!

It also makes me so scared - I'm single, and if I ever did find a partner, this will be in the back of my mind.

That poor little boy, may he rest in peace.

I like everyone else found this story heartbreaking. I do not yet have children although I hope to in the future. The gift of a child is so precious and for some hideous people to put an innocent child through EIGHT MONTHS of torture is just horrendous. Everyone involved in this case seemed to fail the child in some way and that failing cost a life.

Heartbreaking.

You wouldnt allow this to happen to animals, and i think the most heart breakin thing for me was that the doctor didnt even notice.. that social services had not intervened.. it just breaks my heart so much.. I literally just cant even begin to understand how people can do this to an innocent child.. it makes me feel sick to my stomach.. =(

x x

I think we should be campaigning to get harsher punishment for the b******ds that did this, there needs to be a deterrant in place to stop them, for me I think they should be allowed to run free in a field with members of the public. This has to be stopped...xx

Speaking of shockingly bad parents, has anyone read anything about the Shannon Matthews case? Poor little girls mother arranged for her to be kidnapped and drugged and all so she could claim the reward money!!!

What is this world coming to?!

B x

Speaking of shockingly bad parents, has anyone read anything about the Shannon Matthews case? Poor little girls mother arranged for her to be kidnapped and drugged and all so she could claim the reward money!!!

What is this world coming to?!

B x

I read about this aswell. Totally disgusting.

This case is beyond belief. They need to sort out the inconsistency in social services in this country.

I'm glad to say that the Essex social services seem to be pretty switched on. A few weeks ago our 18 month old slipped and hit his head on our TV unit. A trip to A&E and a couple of butterfly stitches later, he was fine, but what I was impressed with was the phone call we recieved from Social services two days later to check out the circumstances and then our health visitor (who has done both our kids annual checks etc) contacting us to ask if we wanted a visit.

I looked at it as a bit of a pain at first as it was all totally innocent but when I read something like this case it puts it all into perspective.

In the case of Baby P though. 60 visits in 8 months with no action is absolutely shocking. So much so that I think potential criminal charges against those workers involved should be considered. Didn't some of the senior chaps from one of the train companies get prosecuted after one of the rail crashes a while back for gross negligence?

Last edited:
This case is beyond belief. They need to sort out the inconsistency in social services in this country.

I'm glad to say that the Essex social services seem to be pretty switched on. A few weeks ago our 18 month old slipped and hit his head on our TV unit. A trip to A&E and a couple of butterfly stitches later, he was fine, but what I was impressed with was the phone call we recieved from Social services two days later to check out the circumstances and then our health visitor (who has done both our kids annual checks etc) contacting us to ask if we wanted a visit.

I looked at it as a bit of a pain at first as it was all totally innocent but when I read something like this case it puts it all into perspective.

So true Guy, when our daughter was around 5/6 months old she suddenly started crying when you would lift her arm or lift her holding her under the arms, we took her to hospital and they did x-rays and the like and found the muscle was bruised in that area.

To my horror they started asking us whether we had wrenched her arm or whether it was possible that anyone else could have etc of course it was nothing like that and they were fine to let us leave with her.

At the time I was deeply offended that they could even suggest that but in hindsight, and after hearing about Baby P and numerous others, at least the docs etc had their eye on the ball and were willing to confront us about any possible issue!!

Touch wood she has been fine ever since, no injuries despite falling down the stairs, twice!, and normal knocks and bumps for a 4yr old!!

I was going to post something intellectual and stimulating to the thread.....however, I have decided that I should say exactly what I think instead.

Cut all their fricking bits off, boil them and make them eat them :mad:

I think my opinion has been voiced now.
Thank you.

RIP Baby P, free from harm.

Back