Trying new foods on holiday/abroad.

Maximus

Gold Member
I'm off to Florida and staying on site at a Disney resort - Port Orleans French Quarter where the theming is Luisiana/New Orleans etc. looking forward to trying the Jumbalaya as never tried this before (I also liked the Carpenters song of the same title)

Another oddity (well to me) is going to be Alligator! - seems strange that Gatorland has both Gator Ribs and Gator Nuggets on the menu - in fact they even have a combo platter with samples of both.

Being in Florida, apparently, I simply have to try "grits" but not really sure what to think!

Anyone tried any of the above, or indeed any other Floridian special?

I'm trying to avoid Burger, Pizza & fries for the fortnight.:eek:

Steve

Alligator is okay, but i'd avoid nuggets made out of it tbh! Grits is like a porridge i think - i've had it but if didn't really leave a lasting impression. Jambalya is awesome but spicy so beware!!! You can also get fruit & salads in florida which are really tasty and not too expensive. Like alot of the US you need to be careful with processed foods as they add sugar to EVERYTHING - including butter & bread. Just weird!!!

No experience what so ever of Aligator just want to say have a great holiday.

Alligator is okay, but i'd avoid nuggets made out of it tbh! Grits is like a porridge i think - i've had it but if didn't really leave a lasting impression. Jambalya is awesome but spicy so beware!!! You can also get fruit & salads in florida which are really tasty and not too expensive. Like alot of the US you need to be careful with processed foods as they add sugar to EVERYTHING - including butter & bread. Just weird!!!
Noticed that previously! - sweet bread! always asked for "Italian bread" - much better, though this time I won't be eating bread or butter, so not an issue.

I do like spicy stuff so the Jambalaya should be interesting. Will skip the grits for no other reason that I don't like porridge or rice/semolina which I am reliably informed it tastes of. No point in trying something I won't like lol.

Still feel guilty eating Gator though:p

Apparently, I can ask for fat-free sauces on salads etc. or even for them to leave it, or put it on the side to enable me to choose how much I require.

With hindsight, I booked this before losing all the weight, I'd have chosen somewhere different than Fat Florida lol.

Make sure if you eat any bacon you ask for Canadian bacon. American bacon is essentially streaky bacon!!

There are some smashing restaurants out there but we found to eat healthily you had to spend quite a lot :( Brocolli is quite popular as a main course veg but a lot of their sides come with a sauce :confused:

Here are some tips:

You can order a salad as a starter and keep it on the side to have with your main :)

Mash potato is commonly mashed with cinammon butter :confused: You may wish to order a jacket potato (also served with cinammon butter but you could ask them to 'hold' this)

Fresh Tomatoes (on I Drive and in Lake Buena Vista) is a fabulous self serve restaurant with loads of salad choice - perfect for lunch :)

Try to avoid the cheaper style buffet restaurants - not good :(

Most importantly - have a fab time!

I'm very jealous!

We found that portions were huge, but that you could always ask to share and of course America invented the "doggy bag" idea!

We went to several places in Florida and they all had great salads. Also, they will always serve dressings "on the side", if you ask. In fact, they will do anything you like if you ask nicely!

Eaten crocodile quite recently and think alligator would be the same.
A white meat with a chicken texture - nice taste (to me).
If you get a chance try ostrich - low cholesterol, lovely tasting meat.

Grits is ground corn - served with bacon. Beware of the cheese they sometimes cover it in.

Wouldn't feel guilty about eating Gator, they've been around since prehistoric times. I'd rather have a handbag :p than eat one!

Ostrich is gorgeous ... first tasted it in a backwater French restaurant on a wet Sunday in the Pas de Calais. We didn't recognise what it was on the menu and the waitress said it was "beeeeg cheeecken" complete with flapping arm movements - we were expecting turkey. :D

What we had was far, faaar nicer. Very rich dark meat and cooked rare as I like it so beautifully pink in the middle. :cool:

Jambalaya is gorgeous and alligator sounds good. :cool: My only fret is whether the food is as expensive at Disneyland Florida as I'm told it is in Paris. And will it be "genuine" southern states cuisine or Disneyfied? Will you be able to get out to other restaurants?

I'd love to spend time at the Keys I admit though Disneyworld leaves me cold.

Do you think it would be rude to ask for Gator ribs/nuggets and ask them to "make it snappy" lol.

Fresh Tomatoes, is I think you mean Sweet Tomatoes - one of my favourite Florida eateries - especially as so much of Florida is stodgy food.

As for the expense of eating in Disney. We have afree Disney Dining Plan thrown in but when we paid "out of pocket" we were warned of the park prices. Yes they cost more than outside of the parks, but nowhere near EuroDisney or Parisienne prices. I was more than happy to pay for food at park prices rather than carry packed lunches in that heat.

The Americans are very helpful and obliging - especially if you tip well of course ;)

Back