Trying to bounce back after a disappointing first week...

orangesuitcase

Hiya

I'm quite new to these forums - I did post one question a few years back, but never followed up on it.

I joined SW on 18th of July - a Monday and had my first weigh-in last week. I followed the plan to the letter, I only used half of my total syns for the week and due to illness, I missed two main evening meals and some of my hexA and hexB around those days. I measured everything I did eat and on Monday - Friday, I went for walks at lunchtime and added an extra 2,000 steps to my daily step count. I lost 0.5lbs!

I joined SW about 4 years ago, and lost 1st in a month. I changed jobs and couldn't attend the same sessions I was going to and just drifted away and eventually gave up. I did retain some of the good habits e.g. I make all of my own cooking sauces from scratch, I rarely drink full fat fizzy drinks, I went from 2tspns of sugar in my tea to 0.5tspns etc... But in the week I just joined, I realised how much bad stuff I was eating without thinking about it. It's only when you start writing down how much mayo you have, or how many glasses of Vimto you have a day, that you realise how badly you were eating before, without thinking about it.

But having weighed and measured everything, I was completely shocked at such little weight loss. I seem to remember first time around losing 3-4lbs in the first weigh-in and that spurred me on.

I was very disheartened but in the group session, they were all very kind to me and very encouraging. I was so frustrated to be honest. I didn't want people to think I hadn't tried or made an effort - I recorded every syn and every gram of food I had, I exercised more, I was drinking two 500ml bottles of water in the morning and two in the afternoon at work, so that was at least 2 litres a day. I walked into weigh-in feeling incredibly hopeful but unfortunately the scales didn't reflect my effort.

I'm not sure why my loss was so little but the general consensus was that I wasn't eating enough. They encouraged me to use my syns, not necessarily on sweet treats but on things that would enhance a meal, like mayo or coleslaw etc... This was definitely a great reminder of why to stay for group, IMO. Had I walked out after weigh-in I probably would have went home, felt sorry for myself and lost control a little bit and maybe ate the wrong things for comfort, or being a little loose with syns.

I go back tonight, and the only difference this week is eating more and using about 10 syns per day on average, so fingers crossed for something more than 0.5lbs!

I thought I would rejoin this forum today, as I am feeling nervous about this evening's weigh-in and a little bit of pressure too. That's all from myself btw, not from group but having had a disappointing start, I really want to claw some of those lbs I feel are missing from last week...

Good luck for weigh in! Do let us know. I agree that not using the syns will make a difference. I remember stalling for a few weeks last time for that exact reason. Also if you are exercising more and drinking more it may be a water issue. Often that big first week loss is due to a loss of water from the body. Less refined foods = less sodium and therefore less water is held. Exercise can encourage your body to hold on to water for the sake of the muscles. It is well documented on here how many people had a STS or even a gain in the week they began exercising more. Most likely it will reflect tonight instead.

Another reason may be that your body works in cycles. Mine certainly does. Out of a month where there are 4 weigh ins I can almost guarantee at least one is at best a small loss. Then it's followed by a bigger one. My most recent losses were 5lb then 3 then 2 then 1 but then another 5lb last week. It's a pattern I have always had and whether it's hormonal which is possible or just how my body works who knows.

It's great that you have such a positive attitude and didn't let it bother you to the point of jumping off the wagon! Clearly your group is very supportive and coming back here is a great idea. I do it from home and would be lost without my minimins friends.

Come back and let us know how you do :)

Hiya

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

What you have said makes a lot of sense to me and you were bang on with your prediction that tonight might give a better overall view of how I've done...

I lost 5.5lbs, so I am delighted with that. 3lbs over both weeks is brilliant - I'm really happy with that, this will give me the confidence and boost I needed, I think!

The only changes I've made, is to eat more and use up my syns. The first week I was holding back but this week I've eaten when I've been hungry and tried to use 10 syns a day.

That's really interesting about the sodium/water balance, and makes a lot of sense. I do wonder if salt plays a part, as I have consciously made an effort to eat less salt in the second week too.

I'm still struggling with my hexB, I struggle to fill that quota most days but my group tonight told me about the HiFi bars. They sound too good to be true... And feel naughty but they're allowed...

Last week I was gutted with a 0.5lbs weight loss and now I'm looking at half a stone next week.

I would be delighted with your consistency!

Hiya

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

What you have said makes a lot of sense to me and you were bang on with your prediction that tonight might give a better overall view of how I've done...

I lost 5.5lbs, so I am delighted with that. 3lbs over both weeks is brilliant - I'm really happy with that, this will give me the confidence and boost I needed, I think!

The only changes I've made, is to eat more and use up my syns. The first week I was holding back but this week I've eaten when I've been hungry and tried to use 10 syns a day.

That's really interesting about the sodium/water balance, and makes a lot of sense. I do wonder if salt plays a part, as I have consciously made an effort to eat less salt in the second week too.

I'm still struggling with my hexB, I struggle to fill that quota most days but my group tonight told me about the HiFi bars. They sound too good to be true... And feel naughty but they're allowed...

Last week I was gutted with a 0.5lbs weight loss and now I'm looking at half a stone next week.

I would be delighted with your consistency!
Wow 5.5lbs is brilliant. Well done. It definitely caught up then :)

I try view my weight fortnightly to allow for the odd slow week. Even better would be monthly and being a part of the three month challenge helps with that. I can see how much each week, each month and then at the end the three month total. That way the odd off week pales into insignificance :)

Thanks a lot!

I think you're dead right with looking at the overall picture, instead of letting weekly losses. I guess that's a bit easier, the further you go and the more you lose, as if you have lost 1, 2, 3 st etc... it might be easier to put things in perspective. I guess in the early weeks, it's just getting as many losses recorded as you can, especially any big ones to keep you going whilst you settle in.

Thanks for the encouragement :)

The first time I joined slimming world I lost 7lbs in my first week. I rejoined 14 weeks ago and only lost 1lb in my first week. I the same was so disheartened. For quite a few weeks then I was only havin 1lb weight losses, then the moment I started having my full 15 syns the weight started flying off. It really does make a difference as crazy as it may sound (eat more lose more weight) madness. I also try to have a couple of days each week on SP.

X

Yay, well done on your loss, that's great work! It's easy to get hung up on what the scales say, but our bodies don't know we're weighing them every week. They'll catch up if you're doing everything right.
As others have said, it's possible not to eat enough and I'm really pleased you got support and direction from your group.

There are so many factors affecting your body rather than just your food - water, time of month, exercise, temperature...lots of things! Try not to get hung up on the big losses. Everything counts...even a maintain! And gains do happen to most of us. In the first few weeks get to know what works for you and your body. Write it all down, identify patterns and triggers, and you'll soon settle into losing. Step by step...it all counts.

It's 20ish weeks to Christmas. Even at a lb a week that's a stone and a half (pretty much) by christmas. How chuffed would you be, being that much lighter by Christmas? Thrilled I bet!

Keep up the great work and think positive. x

Well done on your losses :D:D I've been a bit disheartened before too, i personally have never lost more than 2.5lbs per week since i started, but you've just got to keep telling yourself it's all going in the right direction :)

Good luck.

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the encouraging comments - it's nice to see that people have had similar experiences and been able to move through them and keep to their journey.

I had another bad night on Monday - I had gained 0.5lbs. I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but I felt it was another example of how the scales didn't reflect my effort. The only changes I had made from the previous week were the introduction of the HiFi bars - I had two of those a day for 5/7 days, instead of bread. I also had one day with no speed foods, and another 2/3 days with very little speed foods.

I asked my consultant to have a look at my food diary for the week if she had time, and she highlighted those two things to me above. I can see why speedfoods, or lack of them, can slow down the process but I don't understand the gain. Is it the hi-fi bars?

As I hinted at before, I hate the thought of sitting in group and people thinking that I'm not trying or I've slipped off plan. That's simply not the case. No-one ever gives that impression, this is all in my own head, but I just hate thinking that there's someone thinking I haven't tried hard enough. I don't have blowouts, I eat clean and I finish everyday under 15 syns - some days I finish on 5-9 syns.

At group on Monday, a lady had put on 1lb and the consultant asked what had changed for her this week, compared to last week when she lost 2-3lbs. She said, 'Too many takeaways and glasses of wine I think...' My heart kind of sank at that point. I haven't had a takeaway or a glass of wine in weeks. We had a girls night last Wednesday night, my friends all ordered in turkish takeaway, whilst I brought round my SW spagbol to have - I didn't feel cheated or like I was missing out at all, I was absolutely buzzing and felt so confident and strong. But then to step on the scales and have it add 0.5lbs was a bit soul destroying. I was listening to that lady and thinking she probably had a brilliant week! Takeaways and wine, and only gained 0.5lbs more than me! It wasn't a 'what's the point' moment, but it was disheartening. I had done so much walking last week too.

Today, I've had to tighten my watch strap, as it's lose and moves unaided around my wrist. My rings are starting to do the same, so I am noticing differences, I just don't know why they aren't reflected.

The lady who weighs us did ask if it was my 'star week' and I said no. In truth, and this might be TMI, but I've got an appointment at the doctors on Saturday, because I've had my 'star week' for almost 6 weeks now, which is very unlike me and not my normal cycle at all. So I am starting to wonder if there is something in that, as my Husband suggested. I didn't think about it until I was asked at group on Monday night.

I was able to dust myself down on Monday after group and I have just continued to eat well and stick rigidly to plan. I have consciously added more speed foods every day and I didn't buy any HiFi bars this week - I had two on Tuesday and two on Wednesday and now have none left, so it's back to the x2 400g bread for me!

Is it worth starting a food diary on here, to see if anyone else can find faults in my food diary? :/

I would definitely post a diary. However it sounds like something medical may be to blame and you should speak to your doctor about the weight gain, however negligible along with the other symptom?

The only other thing that springs to mind without seeing your diary is that could it be portion sizes? I'm constantly cross with SW for harping on about unlimited free foods. I have read a few posts lately where people actually gain weight on SW and it's generally down to this reason. Personally I have to use MFP to monitor my portion sizes because "unlimited" to me, is a free pass to gluttony. If you have had a few days with no/little speed foods then naturally you have probably eaten more "free" which is more calorie dense.

Ps it won't be the hifi bars per se but if they are less satisfying than bread you may eat something else sooner and in greater quantities?

Last edited:
Hiya

As I have only been doing this for 3 weeks, I did wonder whether or not it was worth mentioning to the doctor. This (not losing/gaining) could be entirely normal when you start changing your eating habits, it might be better to wait for week 8-10 to see if things 'even out'. I mean, if I had STS last week, that would be a 6lb loss in 3 weeks, which averages out to 2lbs a week which is probably quite steady normally. Regardless, I will mention it incase it is relevant or gives another indication as to what my issue is.

I hadn't thought about portion control to be honest. As you've touched on, I probably haven't thought about it because I've always thought it was a case of 'unlimited' and that's what you hear people say in group - especially new people, 'I can't believe how much you're allowed to eat!'

I know I'm not eating more than I was before, because certain things have stayed the same i.e. when we have a meal with rice, we use boil in the bag so I know the quantities haven't changed, or if I make a curry or chicken dish, I will only use two chicken fillets - one each etc... I will definitely bear this in mind and start looking at just how big my portions are. Are there any recommended guidelines when it comes to measuring pasta or any other carbs?

Thanks for the reassurance about the HiFi bars! I do quite enjoy them as an afternoon snack in work, stops be craving crisps or chocolate, for example.

I will start a diary too...!

Thanks so much!

I think also some people might say 'oh too many takeaways and wine!' but there is a chance that they might be exaggerating a little for effect. Also I agree that those speed foods are there to allow you to eat until you are pleasantly satisfied so that you are full without having to overconsume the calories. You can do the eat slowly to allow yourself to feel full thing and drink fluids to fill up a little between snacks and meals. I'll often have a hot drink at those times. :)

I know I'm not eating more than I was before, because certain things have stayed the same i.e. when we have a meal with rice, we use boil in the bag so I know the quantities haven't changed, or if I make a curry or chicken dish, I will only use two chicken fillets - one each etc... I will definitely bear this in mind

One thing that popped into my head then was portion matching. I now try and make sure Mr LTL has more than me. In the past it would have been 1 each. Now I slice them up and give him slightly more. Obviously this doesn't apply to just chicken.

Guidelines for portions of pasta etc are on the packets but I remember reading it should be seen as a side rather than the bulk of the meal

However as you say 6lb over three weeks is still excellent. Maybe it's a slow week?

Last edited:
Hiya

I had my weigh-in on Monday and got my half stone award - exactly 1.5lbs off which was exactly what I needed.

I was absolutely delighted as I made such a conscious effort to eat a lot of speed foods Monday - Saturday last week, as I knew Sunday would be a day off plan. So to get the half stone award the following night was brilliant. I wasn't sure what 4 weeks with SW would look like, but it's very encouraging and I feel much more tuned in to what foods I am eating and very in control.

I don't be on these forums everyday so I think it was stupid of me to create a food diary, so I might delete that thread and just use this thread if I have any questions, as you guys have been absolutely brilliant and your advice spot on.

engagingwithfreedom, I definitely think it was the speed foods which helped me last week - I was aiming for 8 a day, but most days I was having 10-13, so I think that played a part, and I didn't find it too difficult to incorporate them.

lickthelid, that definitely rings true with me... I do think my portion sizes need to be looked at. Whilst rice is easy to measure, I know I do go overboard with pasta and potatoes, so that might be something I need to alter if I feel things are slowing down. I did want to try very hard to lose 2 stone by December 25th, and I feel I am on course for that if I can keep doing what I am doing. Only 18 weeks left, so 1lb a week on average hopefully isn't a stretch.

Faced with the prospect of spending Friday night at a friend's birthday at an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet and V Festival on Sunday, I was a bit worried about the last week, but I've managed to lose 4lbs - and I am absolutely delighted with that.

I think that's the hardest thing now for me - managing days where I'm not at home or able to prepare my own food but in all honesty, those two occasions were absolutely fine.

At the Chinese, I drove so I wouldn't be drinking. I looked ahead at the menu before I arrived to see how dangerous it was going to be, but thankfully I saw it had a teppenyaki station. I quite like duck pancakes so I knew I might fancy that. When we went up to get food, I went straight to the teppanyaki stand and loaded my plate with veg and prawns. I didn't even bother looking at what else was on offer, as I didn't want to be tempted. The queue was quite big, which was a good thing, as I missed everyone eating their first plate of food! I watched them cook it, with oil (which I synned) and soy sauce. I had this with plain rice, which was free.

A friend at the table had some duck pancakes, so I asked where they were located as I was going to treat myself to one. She showed me and I went straight there and put a single pancake on my plate, filled up with the veg, a little duck and a tiny bit of hoisin sauce.

I saw the fruit station coming in, so I then helped myself to some orange, grapes and watermelon to get some speed foods and to help fill me up before the Birthday cake came. We brought the cake, so I was able to work out that it was 17.5 syns per slice - if split between 24 people! I had a piece, about a third of the size of everyone elses but it felt amazing - so indulgent - triple chocolate!

With V Festival, I got up early and made myself breakfast before we left - 3 eggs in a cup. I brought apples, peaches and bananas with me too, so I snacked on those on the way. We stopped off at a service station and everyone had a McDonald's breakfast, which I skipped as I didn't feel hungry, nor did I want to start the day off badly. Got to V and straight away spotted a jacket potato food stall - bingo! I had a large jacket potato with butter, cheese and beans for lunch. The butter was more than a teaspoon, thankfully I was able to see that and they did use more cheese than my hexA allowance! My husband and the others had chicken goujons and chips for lunch, which did look and smell amazing! My Husband wanted the same again in the evening but wasn't overly hungry, nor was I, so we shared one portion - I had one goujon and a handful of chips. We stopped at services on the way home and another McDonald's was on the menu for everyone else but again I skipped it. I didn't drink or have any other syns, so I was delighted with that day.

Managed to cram in a Nandos lunch (3 syns) and cinema trip today with my Husband too, before weigh-in. I find if we have food before going into the cinema, I don't then want any popcorn or snacks which is perfect for me, as I normally take in my own treats, worth 15 syns.

I have 3lbs to lose to hit my first stone, and 4.5lbs to get into the next stone bracket but just one weigh-in left before going on holiday, so I do feel this next week is a big one for me. We have a temporary consultant this week, as our normal consultant is on holiday, and she has set me a target of 3lbs to get that stone, so I'm going to work hard and continue staying on plan to hit that 3lbs.

I just don't wan't to miss my target, go on holiday after the next weigh-in, then gain or stay the same on holiday - I'm so close now but I'm afraid of it being 3/4 weeks away.

There was a couple in my group this week who lost 5.5lbs each on holiday - they hadn't been to group for 4 weeks, and had been on an all inclusive holiday for 3 of those weeks, but really inspirational and I guess goes to show you can be in control and make good choices.

Back