Turning my life around. A month into my weight loss journey.

JamesTK

Well I'm 24 years old and decided earlier this year to make changes.

I've had an internal haemorrhoid for quite some time now that had given me issues and I and my doctor had put it down to my weight and a sedentary lifestyle.
I've been out of work now for quite some time and have been in disarray as to what I want to do with my life. Whenever I've worked or involved myself in things, I am almost borderline obsessive. I do things 110% and my mind never stops; I simply can't go to work at 9 and walk out the door at 5 and my mind switch off, so it is important that I do something I enjoy and something I can really sink my teeth into. Admittedly, I've been quite picky and it's taking a toll on my parents who basically support me because I've never claimed benefits because I didn't want to lie to the face of the person asking me why I hadn't found work yet when I am quite honestly perfectly capable for most work and could quite possibly find work quickly if I chose to do so.
Well, I found a passion in gardening and I plan to spend a couple more months exercising and basically getting my leg and back muscles used to being active again instead of sat on a chair all day and then just find and apply for anything so I can save and pay for the RHS courses.

My other motivation was my Grandfather being ill recently, an illness that he's still fighting and still losing against. He has no chance against it and he will frankly be lucky to be here next week. The main reason it's been such an impact is that it's my first family illness on this scale. He's 77, but the first time I'd seen him in maybe 2 months since things started getting bad, was the first time I saw him and actually thought he looked 'old'. It was pretty distressing to see him that way; He wasn't even keeping his false teeth in any more so his face looked different, he'd lost a lot of weight and his voice was barely noticeable.
I've come to terms with it now as I've found comfort in the knowledge that him and my Grandmother have been to and see things that most people would dream of seeing in their lifetimes. 77 isn't a bad age and they have done so much together. If I were in his position, while fearful of the inevitable end, I'd like to think I could at least find comfort in the memories of everything I'd seen and done, a sense of accomplishment even.

So, my routine and progress to date... I started on July 2nd and I began and still continue to walk 1.25 miles in the mornings, a quarter of which is inclined surface and another quarter is a decline. It isn't much but I've found that it's excellent for me given it's basically a big square and I can just do laps eventually. It is still quite the exertion afterwards, mostly on the top of my legs at the back because of the incline, but I feel the aches wearing off when I near the end of the walk, so I will begin doing two laps as of next week.

My start weight was 22 stone 4 pounds on July 2nd and today I'm 21 stone 4 pounds.

I'm quite pleased with myself given that at least a week of that I spent doing nothing because the heat was unbearable(I'm a fan of the winter. I get sunburn when I turn the bathroom light on) and I'd been snacking on junk, so hopefully next month the results will be the same or better now that the heat is subsiding and I've seen the results and am inspired to do better and will be cutting the junk.

Hey James, I'll follow your story hun. Shockingly, my statistics are quite similar to yours (bows head in shame), but hey ho, onwards and upwards. Good luck xx

Hi James

I think it's great that you have decided to make these changes and you are doing really well so far. There are lots of people here to support you and who will take inspiration from your efforts so that can be on your list of reasons to carry on. Good luck and keep letting us know how you are getting on :)

Back