Two melons balancing on an egg, wedged between two chicken drumsticks..

Aww Miss, the way I would put it would be that our palette's change over time :) I was definitely put off enough I wouldn't fancy trying it again personally. Perhaps with enough spices and flavouring it would be okay. Does it make good pancakes?

B x

I have not tried, but I would think so - will be my next experiment :) but I make crepes rather than pancakes - no added sweetener, plenty milk, water and eggs, with 1T butter added to mix.

I have not tried, but I would think so - will be my next experiment :) but I make crepes rather than pancakes - no added sweetener, plenty milk, water and eggs, with 1T butter added to mix.

Mmmm, sounds good!

Dinner tonight: 1 homemade scotch egg, rolled in linseed, sage, salt and pepper and a salad made with spinach, 50g cucumber, 3 radishes, 3 cherry tomatoes and two baby beetroot.

B x

Celeriac tastes nothing like celery - id heard that too and never tried it on previous Atkins attempts - now I don't know how I'd live without it. Roasted or chipped, it's like a cross between potato and parsnip but doesn't taste exactly like either. It's delicious!

Love celeriac - never tried before atkins:D

Thanks for your well wishes Moonlights :) I'm fine, just feeling a little guilty due to an indulgent couple of days lol!

Monday
Breakfast - Choc Protein Shake and handful of supplements.
Lunch- Salad with one whole avocado and a tablespoon of mayonnaise.
Dinner- Homemade Scotch Egg, Chicken and salad.
Snacks-Choc Protein Shake.
One naughty brownie, approx the size of 8 Asda mini brownies (which is what went into MFP) homemade from a colleague at work (planned, but I still felt awful about it lol).
MFP - carbs 96!

Tuesday
Breakfast - Choc Protein Shake
Lunch - Salad with cooked chicken, feta cheese and one tablespoon mayonnaise
Dinner - 5 chicken drumsticks, coated with paprika, cumin, cinnamon, olive oil and salt and pepper. A piece of courgette cake.
Snacks - Yes, another piece of courgette cake :-S 25g mixed nuts, 3 babybels.
MFP - 55 carbs

LadyB x

Celeriac tastes nothing like celery - id heard that too and never tried it on previous Atkins attempts - now I don't know how I'd live without it. Roasted or chipped, it's like a cross between potato and parsnip but doesn't taste exactly like either. It's delicious!

Ok, you've twisted my arm Moonlight - it's on next week's shopping list :D

Monday, I have eaten way too much today-
Breakfast: Choc Whey Shake
Lunch: Salad with cooked chicken, pepperoni, 1 tablespoon mayonnaise, and one avocado.
Snacks: Courgette cake, 25g unsalted mixed nuts, 2 babybels.

I'm really loving the steak at the moment, we had a delicious sirloin this evening with creamy peppercorn sauce and swede chips :) :)

MFP 45 carbs/2200 calories

LadyB x

Ooh I nearly forgot, I did put together some mini goals:

*Return to pre-current job weight 14st, 2lbs*
*Reach previous highest weight of 13st, 7lbs*
*Lose bulge in front of jeans and denim skirt*
*Reach size 16 hips* (fit into jeans currently stuffed in back of drawer)
*Get to 12st, 7lbs*
*Reach size 14 hips* (thighs no longer badly chafe when hot, yay) Able to choose from a much wider variety of clothes shopping!
*Get below 11st* :eek:
*Hit size 12* (dare I hope that thighs might not touch when stood straight, is this possible?) At which point I'll:
- Buy some sexy new lingerie.
- Purchase something from a designer shop (ouch!)
- Have a fabulous holiday somewhere baking and sunny, and live in a bikini for the week, flaunting myself shamelessly.
- Have some professional photo's taken, so that I can show these to people when I'm old and pretend that I always looked like that ;)
*...and some time, in the not too near distant future...getting a bit carried away now..Make a beautiful bride for OH..aaah *
*Be a hot ass mama*

Lol,

LadyB x

Weighed myself this morning and I am not even a whole pound lighter from last week, diet needs to change I feel...but I don't want to hungry all day as I was on Mon/Tues either. I'm wondering if the courgette cake we've been eating over the last few days is to blame for that. In the Low Carb Gourmet, she says that a sweet taste can trigger an emotional response which leads to your body producing insulin...(should've known it was too good to be true ha!) I don't want to be crazy restrictive though. Will have to have a think about it..

LadyB x

Hey lady B - have you considered trying the less than 20g carbs per day option? Atkins induction in other words and - I think the same in neris and India, they suggest saying at under 20g carbs until you're fairly close to the weight you want to be.

Low carb is a great (in that you can eat loads) but fairly unforgiving diet.

What I mean by that is that most of us who come to Atkins being more familiar with calorie counting diets are used to the mentality that you can have one 'bad' day but as long as you're good the next day it balances out (except on calorie counting you're usually still hungry and it's so easy to slip again). So you could have a chocolate bar one day, but be saintly the rest if the week and balance it.

That mentality doesn't work with low carb, because of the need to stay in ketosis in order to burn fat. Say you're being perfect and eating your 20g per day with 15g coming from veggies etc, but then you have an off day and eat a chocolate bar.

That chocolate bar could well (would likely) take you out of ketosis. Not being in ketosis, especially if your carbs are a little higher in general, means you can gain back some of the water weight you lost in the first week (though the good news is its only water and not fat and will go once you're back in K).

Most importantly, not being in ketosis means you're not burning fat.

So, then it takes a few days of eating around 20g carbs to get back into ketosis and you might be stalled a little or even gain in that time.

I've had a couple of planned breaks while I've been on Atkins but only one 'one day' break. That one day put my weight loss back by two weeks as I gained 7lb (water weight) immediately and had to lose that before I lost anything else.

It's not that you can never eat off plan, I just don't eat off plan without expecting to go up to 2 weeks with no weight loss.

So your brownie and the insulin spike it caused might have pulled you out of ketosis and the higher level of carbs the next day probably didn't help. The courgette cake also - yummy but I personally only ever make dessert type things in single portions so I can exactly carb count what's in it and so I don't end up eating it all in one day (I have very little willpower so have to be that strict with myself). A sweet taste, as long as its carb controlled and has no real sugar (or polyols) shouldn't cause you problems. I have cocoa bark regularly, sweetened mims and various almond things once or twice a week without issue. I just make sure not to have anything I can overeat.

What might have been more of an issue is it being 16g carbs a portion - I try not to eat more than 10g at any one meal.

20g carbs sounds restrictive but I've been eating at under 20g a day (I allow myself 30g a day but 11g of those carbs come from medication so only 19g gets spent on food) since April without feeling restricted. I have a chocolate substitute, a few different bread substitutes, pasta substitute in the form of courgette noodles, microwave almond cupcakes, cheese crisps, salami crisps - but I find I don't need these things all the time anymore and just have them when I fancy them. I don't think my daily diet is restrictive, really. When you consider the variety of food most people actually eat - toast for breakfast, sandwich for lunch etc - most of us probably eat more variety on low carb.

Anyway, I know a sts can be frustrating and hard when you've been trying all week and maybe haven't had things that you wanted (having said its not restricted, nearly every day there are things I want but can't have- but the same would be true on any diet) but I'm quite sure with a few tweaks and maybe cutting back on the carbs you'll find a way to make this work for you - and hopefully get a nice woosh to compensate for this sts ;)

Eta: oh also, was a bit worried about the black bean sauce from the Chinese when you had it. Most sauces from the take out have sugar in and are thickened with flour - its nearly impossible to check. Crispy duck (minus the sauce) is a good Chinese option.

Hey Moonlights :) thank you once again for such a thoughtful message..I have been considering induction, but my main worry is having to cut out the things that make the diet do-able for me, like having tons of veggies with my evening meal and knowing if I'm feeling weak I can bake something yummy. However on the flip side of this, if this leads to me sts - then I'm not really achieving what I set out to do here.

I'll think I'll take your advice and do some meal plans to see how I can adapt what I'm doing. As for the planned breaks, I understand what you're saying and Neris and India make warnings along the same lines. I was cheered by the fact that the brownie wasn't even that great, so it was nice to know I hadn't been missing out on much. The courgette cake was lovely, but you're right 16carbs is a lot (dummy didn't even check before she cooked it), hopefully after a week of eating it I have got the cake out of my system lol. The other problem with it is that it was so sweet, it was a change of palatte and puts your mind on to sweet things again.

I checked the keto-stix after the brownie on Monday (and after eating three truffles yesterday) and they have been showing strong levels of ketones the morning after, but I'm not taking any chances on that!

Thanks once again for your support Moonlight, I think this week has been a difficult one for sticking to the diet, and your comments really help.

B xx

I think the thing to remember with any diet is that bad weeks aren't going to matter a jot in the long term. You can feel rubbish when you're having one but once you're at target you're not going to care if you got there a week or two later than you possibly (and only possibly) could have done. As they say, the only way to fail is to give up.

Re: lots of veggies - you still can! I often eat 300g of courgette noodles, or 200g asparagus, 200g celeriac chips or cauli, loads of spinach... You need to pick the lower carb veggies but there are many you can have absolutely tons of - and fry them in butter or dip them in mayo! 200g savoy cabbage, fried with cream and bacon - 8g carbs for the cabbage. 300g courgette noodles in a cheesy sauce - 5.4g carbs for the courgettes. Could eat both in one day and have carbs left to allow for the cheese, cream and some over!

I personally do under 20g carbs (of food) but am on the second rung of owl, which allows me almond flour so baking things is not a problem. I just cut every recipe down so it never uses more than 50g almond flour (5g carbs ish) that way I never worry about going over carbs AND can eat the whole recipe in a day.

There's a nice and practically carb free Swiss roll around, too. I used that a lot when I first got on the wagon, and still would.

What she said^^^. :D

I eat tons of veggies and always have. Not seen someone stall from induction veggies yet:D

Always possible to bake on atkins - best to avoid for first two weeks if possible but then move straight to OWL. I think probably too many people stay on strict induction for too long and then fall off. I stayed on what i called relaxed induction for 6 months - added back some food groups but stuck to 20g limit

Thanks guys. The bit I was reading measured the veggies in cups, which is why I thought you wouldn't be allowed much - but thanks, that's really good to know. I did my first induction day on Friday, but the weekend has been a blow out, with a hen party and pizza - so I'm drawing a line under it and continuing with induction from this week onwards..luckily nights out like that are a very rare thing (Hmm I dread to think of the water retention, as I seemed to be drinking water all day yesterday and not going to the loo much lol!) I can't wait to see those scales shifting again!

Monday
Breakfast: Choc Whey Shake
Lunch: Watercress and baby leaf spinach, 3 cherry tom's, 3 radishes, 1 quart red pepper, cucumber and 40g Tesco Chicken Tikka.
Snacks: 2 babybels, 80g cheese, 60g pepperoni.
Dinner: 200g mince, with pepper, onion, garlic, half courgette, mushrooms and tsp Worcester sauce.

MFP: 27 carbs, 1329kcal.

Working late today so OH made the bolognaise, which surprisingly had 10.7 carbs a portion, even without chopped tomatoes.

I think induction's going to be harder than I first thought...

LadyB x

Last edited:
Hey everyone, feeling crappy today..TOTM has arrived, I'm feeling slightly nautseous from lack of sleep and have deservedly gained 2 lbs from last week's escapades. I'm meant to be going to a friends for dinner, but I'm thinking about cancelling as I can see myself nodding off on the sofa and she has a 3 year old that always wants to play. I feel a bit awkward too, because I'm dieting and I'm going to have to interrogate her about what she's using in her cooking. I've explained the low carb diet, but she doesn't fully understand - as she made us a roast one weekend using sweet potato and a yorkshire pudding, next to a big glass of full sugar fizzy pop! Another visit she insisted she and her daughter had made a cake especially for us, which was full sugar courgette cake and I ended up having to eat a slice. I'm hell bent on the meal being at least low carb (if not induction friendly) so I'm going to have to be more strict this time.

I've also realised that I've not checked off any of my vegetables against the acceptable induction list..and water cress isn't on there. I'm sure something planty like that can't be that bad though?

B x

I've added today's salad with chicken tikka pieces, and have spent 14 carbs already..on salad! :eek: Hoow lol?? B xx

In the uk the fibre is not in the total carbs, as far as I understand it.

I think Diem's made a fair point, MFP seems to contain a mix of the American and British measures of carbs..so where for example it might say Red Cabbage, you should maybe look for Tesco's Red Cabbage. Between these two I found a difference of 3.3g carbs per 100g & I cross referenced it to a couple of other supermarkets to roughly the same.

Thanks for that D, I was able to make some yummy cocoa bark with the carbs left over which cheered me up no end this evening lol :D

Breakfast: Choc Whey Shake.
Lunch: Chicken tikka pieces, 15g feta cheese, salad, with tbsp mayonnaise.
Snacks: 4 babybels, cocoa bark with 1 tsp cocoa powder, 2 tsps granulated Splenda. 180ml soya milk (3 cups of decaf tea).
Dinner: Chicken breast, baked with thyme and a slice of lemon, 1 quart bag of Tesco ready sliced curly kale, 5 sprigs of asparagus.

MFP: 18g carbs, 1238kcal

B xx

Last edited:
Back