Vegetable Book

I was in Oxfam on Monday and found a copy of Jane Grigson's Vegetable Book.

I used to have a copy of this, years ago, but with several house moves it seems to have disappeared. Or maybe it fell apart - it was very old!!

It is still in print and I do recommend it if you are interested (as we all should be!) in enjoying vegetables more often. If you are used to the modern type of cookery book, with glossy photos of everything, then this is definitely not one of those!! There are small black and white illustrations of each vegetable, but that is all.

But if you can appreciate a good old-fashioned book (it was published in 1978), beautifully written, with lots of information, including historical anecdotes, and an introduction to vegetables which you have never heard of before as well as familiar ones, then do try to find a copy. For the recipes, you will have to go easy on the oil and butter to make them SW-friendly, but that's not too much of a problem.

Sounds fab, maybe if there were more of these type of books around children would have more idea about what is a fruit or vegetable!!!!

I go on world of books for my second hand books so may take a look.

Thank you:D

Back