Wanting to start Slimming World

Helen1970

Hi,

I am looking to start Slimming World, as I live in Cork, Ireland there are no meetings close to me so my only option would be online. I have looked up reviews regarding the online and they don't seam to give a good review. Can anyone give me a bit of advise on what to do should I pay the €75 online fee and take a chance that I can get all the info I need or go with the Weight Watchers class which I can attend as there is one in town which I can get to. The Slimming World looks like a better plan for me as I beleive you dont have to count points or weigh food.

Thank you

I do it online and have been losing weight. Obviously you don't get that "real life" motivation and support, so if that is important for you, then maybe a group would be better. But you do get all the syn calculators, food diary, recipes etc. For me personally I think SW works better than WW because it teaches you the importance of healthy living, so eating veggies and fruit and generally learning what types of food you need to eat in moderation, but without having to weigh lots of foods. Rather than WW which is just a set number of points which you could ultimately use on chocolate all day. I just feel like when I get to target weight I will be able to live a normal healthy diet from the "lessons" i'm slowly learning about food and healthy diet on slimming world. SW does allow for treats and off days, which for me is why it works so well. I know that if there is a special occasion I can enjoy myself and just be careful for the following days.

Another thing I would suggest is google online discounts, as I got my online joining with 40% off from discount codes, always worth a try!

I've done WW and now SW and I'd definitely say SW is a better long term weight loss and weight management plan, however, I know I wouldn't be able to follow it without going to group every week. If you are disciplined enough to not go off track without going to a group then I'd suggest SW but if like me you can only stay on track with weekly weigh ins at a group I'd say maybe go for WW. Good luck whichever you choose :)

Hi,
I'm part of a small group of friends that meet up once a week for a weigh-in and encouragement etc. We do SW and have the books because one of us enrolled before. We each pay just £1 every time we go, and then every few weeks go out for a meal (sticking to our diet of course!) For added incentive, we also take a piece of fruit or some other healthy snack & whoever loses the most takes the fruit/snacks home. We also take it in turns each week to cook a meal or sweet.
Have you got friends who would be interested in doing it with you?
You could easily find the recipes & SW principles on this site or online.

Also, I'd be more than happy to help & encourage you. I've lost just over a stone so far so it definitely works. In fact, I'm eating more now with SW than I've ever done.

Thank you all so much I am going to give Slimming World a go and do it at home and see how I get on I have ordered a starter pack from e bay, I will weigh once a week and record my weight, and with this site for a bit of help I think I should be OK. So Jaxxxilicious any help would be great once I get my pack I can go shopping and get all the bits I need Im not a fussy eater so am willing to try anything. I have a massive amount to loose (approx 6 stone) so this is going to take time I know, but at least Im starting.

I think the reasons SW online gets poor reviews is cos it's the same price as the meetings, but you're not getting as much for your money.

I had looked at online cos I work shifts so can't always make the same meeting. I'm looking to join classes instead cos it's the same price and I can get the meeting if I need it and can just weigh and go if I'm busy.

So Jaxxxilicious any help would be great once I get my pack I can go shopping and get all the bits I need Im not a fussy eater so am willing to try anything. I have a massive amount to loose (approx 6 stone) so this is going to take time I know, but at least Im starting.

I'd love to help :)
Let me know if you have any questions when your pack comes through.

I definitely think SW is the best way for you, and if you stick to it you'll notice a difference straight away. One in our group has lost nearly four stones. The only down side to doing it alone is that you've got to be self disciplined more because you don't have to answer to anyone for your weight. The up side is that you'll save money.
I'm sure you'll do well

Last edited:
Im an online member, and got to target with it. I really rate it, like the app for my phone so I can check syns when out and about, but your right it is very expensive especially as your buying a few months of membership up front. For me it was the one of the best things I have ever done, got to target within six months and three months later I'm still at target. I do have to say though that this site has been invaluable and has acted as my 'meeting' in terms of support and advice.

Im an online member, and got to target with it. I really rate it, like the app for my phone so I can check syns when out and about, but your right it is very expensive especially as your buying a few months of membership up front. For me it was the one of the best things I have ever done, got to target within six months and three months later I'm still at target. I do have to say though that this site has been invaluable and has acted as my 'meeting' in terms of support and advice.

I just wondered now you are to target, do you still use the online service? I think with group obviously it is free once you hit target, I presume this isn't the same for online?

I just wondered now you are to target, do you still use the online service? I think with group obviously it is free once you hit target, I presume this isn't the same for online?

Yeah I'm still paying for the online service at the moment and no it's not free when you get to target. I will cancel my membership soon, but I still use the resources on there, well the syns bit anyway. But at twenty pound a month I think I should cancel membership, and use the books I have and the information from here instead. It does grate on me that it's not free when at target but I spose if it was then people would just input fake weights in order to access it for free.

Yeah I'm still paying for the online service at the moment and no it's not free when you get to target. I will cancel my membership soon, but I still use the resources on there, well the syns bit anyway. But at twenty pound a month I think I should cancel membership, and use the books I have and the information from here instead. It does grate on me that it's not free when at target but I spose if it was then people would just input fake weights in order to access it for free.

That's a bit naughty considering the meeting is free if you're at target and you get free access to the website if you attend meetings!

WW are the same though. Even if you get to your target weight with them at classes you don't get free access to the website!

What is the SW app like by the way? Does it have a food diary at all?

Ah I thought that would be the case. I do understand it because as you have said people could put in a false weight, but I feel if you have paid for online membership for all those months/years then it probably is quite obvious that you have used it correctly!

Hi Helen1970,

I am doing slimmingworld as well without membership. From what i have read so far on this site there are so many ideas and so many lovely people that would help you and can give you a confidence boost when needed. It does take self discipline though but for me it is working so far. Although i must admit there is not a lot of variety in what i eat so i really need to change that.
Good luck with the weight loss!

Back