Warning: Food talk inside. Kitchen Supply shops for Jam/Jelly/Canning supplies?

Yes, it can be fine. If it's a rich fruit cake the high proportion of fruit will hold it all together. You don't need much egg, you don't want ths type of cake to be light and rise.
Just follow the recipe, you'll be fine.
The brandy will be okay too. It doesn't really matter what alcohol you use.
The recipe I usually use soaks the fruit in a bottle of sherry for 2 days! hic.
Happy cooking. See ya tomorrow. xx

My pleasure, remember driied fruit has a very high sugar content which burns easily so it's important to believe your recipe - long slow cooking at a low temperature. I usually cut a circle of bakng parchment to cover the top while it's in the oven to stop it over browning.
Cut a hole in the centre of the paper about the size of a 50p piece to let the steam escape. Give me a ring if you get stuck.
Hey - it's a piece of cake !!
I await the photos...............xxx
:happy096::candle1::drool:

Welllll, the cake is in the oven - and the batter tasted - oh my god - SO GOOD!~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It almost made it into my porridge bowl rather then the oven! Perhaps I can suggest that as a brekkie poption for Morticia!!! :giggle:

Seriously - it tasted wonderful. I admit it - I liked the batters. And the bowl. LOL Well, didn;t lick the bowl as such....but it was pretty clean before it got washed!! :D :D :D

Can't wait for Christmas now!! Think I may make another one to send with some jam to my mom for Christmas. I hate not being with her - in this way, I kind of would.

Thanks foryour help lovely ladies! :D

xx

Oh - shrooms are nice too - but next time I might hald the number of chili flakes. And this from someone who LOVES chili - but man - phew!! FIRE!!!! :D But nice! :D Will be nice on salads.

Might have a go later at some Apple Butter? Or Apple Jelly? Any opinions on either? I won;t eat all those beautys before they go off, so want to do something to at least half of them - even if just freezing.

Oh - tragedy yesterday - while shuffling about in the freezer I accidentily knocked off a big container of wild blackberries - about 2 pounds I reckon - it burst open and they scattered all over the floor. :cry: I know, having had 8 cats in this house - there is not enough boiling to make me use them, so they had to get binned. Nearly made me cry. At least I still have 2 pounds left. :( :)

Hey Hun

Was at excel getting security check and briefing for tomorrrow, then got stuck in the worlds worst traffic for 3 hours. You have been soooooo busy. Sorry I didn't catch your query on the cake but SB gave you the perfect answer. I have a few bits and bobs to put on tonight so will update later and once they are on, will settle down with coffee to look at your pics. Let me know how you set the album up so I can set one up too. Cooking apples are Bramley apples in this country big, misshapen and sour as hell. But you can substitute granny smith as they are very sharp and firm fleshed too. Have you tried lemon curd yet?? If not hun you so gotta it is amazing, but very high in calories because of the butter. Still you could have a lick then send the rest to mom.

Jez
xx

Hiya!

I use Picasa 3, which is a photo thingy-ma-bob :D provided by Google - its free and you can down load it - then when you uplosd your photos you can edit them, etc., and from there you can create albums. I am still trying to work out the whole album thing - I tried to put a pic of my chutney into my album and I couldn't - so I need to learn more about it.

Well, feet up for a bit, and then its time to cook dinner.

The chutney looks great, smells great, and tastes great if not a little pungent - I suppose that is why it ages 3 months, for the vinegar to mellow. But, its very grainy?? As if the spices did not fully incorporate? I am hoping that blend over time as well. But other then that it tastes lovely. Its Apple, cranberry, raisins, onions, paprika, mixed spice, coriander and Malt Vinegar. I ran out of paprika so topped up with cinnamon. Shoudl be nice with roast pork and such. I juthope the graininess goes.

I got some hard cider, and will make some apple butter with the remaining apples - and then I think that is me done for awhile. :)

I say. We'll see. :D

But its been an expensive venture, what with buying all the equipment and ingredients - I think I will cool my heels for a bit and maybe do some more next month. But its lovely to see all the preserved things in my cupboard. Need to make some labels next. THen they are all pretty. :D

Catch ya later Mrs!

SB - hope you hav had a lovely SUnday! :) Thanks again for the tip - the cake turned out beautifully. :)

xx

Well I have a Cranberry, plum and apple chutney on with star anise, cardamom and cinnamon, and a blueberry, redcurrant and pear jam. Have to use up all this fruit that my sis keeps bringing home. Means the marmalade gets put off for yet another day as I have now run out of jars and sugar. Still the citrus holds better than the soft fruit so thought I would make that first. I think after this whole batch I should also cool my heels on the preserving front for a bit, well till back from holiday, but will crack on with the Christmas bits when I am back which should keep me going for a while. Also want to make the bath fizzies etc which should be great fun.

Jez
xx

It would still work, but the flavour would be insipid unless you add something sharp like fresh or frozen (not sweetened) cranberries - pretty colour, good for Christmas presents - unless you had a friend who could give you some cooking apples!
The sharpness gives a better flavour - want some tomorrow?
:greenapple::greenapple::greenapple::greenapple::greenapple::greenapple::greenapple:

Hi,

Not sure if anyone saw my querie, was wondering if jam can be made with sugar substitute instead or would it affect the preserving qualities or setting qualities?

Edited to add, no doubt I missed a reply in the thread so going back to reread it as you ladies have been busy....:)

It would still work, but the flavour would be insipid unless you add something sharp like fresh or frozen (not sweetened) cranberries - pretty colour, good for Christmas presents - unless you had a friend who could give you some cooking apples!
The sharpness gives a better flavour - want some tomorrow?
:greenapple::greenapple::greenapple::greenapple::greenapple::greenapple::greenapple:

LOL - you always find the cutest little smiley things!

SUre, if you have some to spare! :)

Thanks hon!! :)

xx

Hey Morticia hun

If you scroll back a few days in the thread I did post a link for BL for jam you can make with splenda a fruit juice. So give it a whirl and let us know how it goes!!

Jez
xx

Hey Jez, thanks for that...:)

Does anyone know, if I made juice for jelly from the massive amount of fruit I now have - if I don;t have time to do all the canning this weekend, can the juice be frozen and then used later, or does that change it it anyway? I know fruit can be frozen and used, but just wondered if I cooked it all up, strained it, and the froze it, then later defrosted and cooked with sugar to make jelly - would it be OK>

Thanks lovelys!!

xx

Hello girls

Using frozen fruit or juice is fine - however, it goes really squishy after defrosting so measure it or weigh it before you freeze it and write the amount on the bag or container so you know how much you have when you come to use it.
Otherwise it's just the same.
Quantities of sugar etc no different.

Using frozen fruit or juice is fine - however, it goes really squishy after defrosting so measure it or weigh it before you freeze it and write the amount on the bag or container so you know how much you have when you come to use it.
Otherwise it's just the same.
Quantities of sugar etc no different.

Shoot. I already froze my peaches, cause I knew fruit would be OK frozen - it was juice I didn;t know about.

But, I didn;t know to weigh them first. I suppose frozen weight is heavier, huh?. I guess I could get a rough idea by weighing a peach and multiplying? lol

Thanks SB! :)

xx

Back