Warning: Food talk inside. Kitchen Supply shops for Jam/Jelly/Canning supplies?

Hey lovely ladies

In Yorkshire, after a safe trip, loads and loads of amazing charity shop bargains that my dad had collected for us!!! Woohoo. Only 2 more full days of abstinence left. Pretty scared, dont feel ready,but do feel ready and want to eat. Arrrrrrrgh!! Will set up a thread on RTM forum for this. Not sure how much I will get online whilst in Scotland, but hear there is wifi at the golf club if I head down there. So will log it all manually and put it online when I can.

Have a wonderful weekend and do some serious relaxing.

Jez
xx

am trying this on the iphone and I think half quantities would work fine.I just make in whatever quantities of fruit I have to hand sometimes it's small sometimes it's large! Big hugs

Jez
Xxx

Hi hon! Nice to hear form you!

Well, I have had a crackin time this weekend.... Made Plum-Vanilla Jam, Fresh Mint Jelly, BLackberry-Apple (Jam) Sauce (it did not set, so will call it sauce, for ice cream, yogurt, etc.) .

TOday I made the Fresh Mint Jelly - its not only gorgeous, but tastes SO fresh!! I was concerned it might not set, as I had to remove most all of the cores of the apples SB gave me and a fair amount of the apples. And I seemed to think thats where most of the pectin was - so had to use about half bramley and then fill up the weight with half eating apples - but it turned out amazing. Good clairty, and its full of minced mint, so you can see the lovely peices suspended throught.

Then, I made Banana Jam, my husbands request - and oh dear- it is SUBLIME.

I have been cutting back on the amount of sugar, and it is working fine. And been playng with Vanilla beans which smell wonderful.

Not sure why the berry-apple didn;t set though. Thats every frustrating. May use pectin more regularly to be sure I get a set.

Anyway - all tuckered out. WOuld it be too cheesy to say PLUM tuckered out!! :giggle:

I hope you are having a great time in beautiful Scotland. Cant wait tohear about it.

ANd all good luck to you tomorrow for your first meal!!! Cant wait to hear about that too!!!
XXXXX

Hey Darling

Sounds like fabby cooking. I saw a whiskey apple jelly in Scotland which I really want to make!!! So will give it a bash soon enough.

Finding it really exciting to be cooking for myself again and am loving it!!! Even though it is probably the most simple food I have ever cooked for myself- lol a bit of chicken/fish and salad. It is just soooooooo exciting - really can't wait to cook veg now.

Going to get a crack on with my Xmas goodies in the next few weeks, how is your cake maturing? are you giving him a good drink occasionally???

Jez
xx

Hello lovey! Nice to have you back in the fold! :)

My cake is sleeping peacefully. :D The recipe I used said to feed it every 10 weeks - but that seems a long time, so I thought I would do it every 4 - so I think it is ready for its first feeding in 2 weeks. Maybe 1 - have to check the date I made it. I wrote it down so I wouldnt forget!! lol

Today I am in the kichen making a few big batched of soup which I am freezing in individual bags for lunches. Save em the bother of having to think each morning, so if I get caught out - just grab a bag.

Just finished a gorgeous roasted butternut, with curry, ginger and coconut milk (lowfat) which is surprisingly low fat! Chuffed to discover that as I LOVE stuff with C Milk in it!

Just now have a nice stock simmering, and I will make a Vegetable Barley soup, and if there is enough left over maybe a nice mushroom. Found some portabellas reduced for about 50p so snagged them up along with some chestniut and white ones too.

I still have 2 batches of jams to make, but the fruit is tucked awy in the freezer for now. I want to do my Vanilla Peach which has Whisky in it, and I also found a Whisky Nectarine, or maybe its brandy - but sounded gorgeous.

Did you see I made Banana Jam? I never heard of it - its lush. That was hubbys reques as he is a banana freak, but I must admit its very tasty.

But enough Jammin for a little bit. Althoug....I just harvested all my lavender...... :D

Tonight I am having grilled lamb chops to will try my Mint Jelly. I made a nice veggie/lentil curry last week and sampled my Apple Chutney on it - was REALLY nice!! It has been funning bringing a jar here and there for gifts or jut cause. Why didn;t I think of this sooner!! :D

ANyway - as you say, it is funnyhow nice simple food really can taste, isn;t it! I always cooked in the past with loads of spices and sauces and marinades, etc., and to behonest, I am just as happy with S&P if I am not in a mood to cook.

I am pleased for you that it is going well - it is odd at first, isn;t it!

Your trip sounded wonderful. I too adore Scotland - one of the most beautiful places I have bben. Would love to get up there again - my hubbys grandad is near Perth, and he is getting on, so we are hoping to go sometime in the next year. Its beautiful.

I missed you, so nice to have you back. :)

Look forward to hearing what you get up to and how you go on RTM.

XXX

POSSIBLY the BEST Veggie Soup I have EVER tasted!!

Hi gals. I made this soup today, and it is the nicest veggie soup I have ever tasted! It makes a huge pot - so lots to freeze for cold days ahead, and enough for some lunches this week. Cutting the recipe in half would still make a more then ample amount!

SB - the Smoked Paprika is goregous - why have I never been able to find that before - it really adds an intensity that is sooo lush!

ANyway, here is the recipe, and the alterations I had to make following it. Its so nice, I think I will just keep it that way! :)

spicy vegetable barley soup
adapted from
Alton Brown

4 tbs olive oil
3 leeks chopped (1/2") and rinsed well (white part only)
8 cloves of garlic minced
*kosher salt
pepper
5 carrots 1 inch cubes (i leave mine bigger)
4 cups potatoes 1 inch cubes (i leave mine bigger)
*2 Q vegetable stock
4 c. chopped tomatoes (canned)
*1 bag frozen sweet corn
*1/4 c. parsley
juice and grated zest of 1 lemon
*2 tsp garlic powder
2 tbs essence (recipe for this season blend on next post)
2 tsp smoked paprika
3/4 c. barley
*1 tbs sundried tomato paste

heat olive oil - add leeks and sweat (3 min). add garlic and 1 tsp salt. sweat until softened (2 min).
add carrots and potatoes and cook for 6 - 7 minutes. add barley and cook for 2 minutes. add essence, paprika, sundried tomato paste, salt and pepper. stir together.

add stock - bring heat to high. once simmering, add tomatoes. reduce heat to low.
cook 25 minutes.
add corn - cook another 5 minutes.
turn off heat, stir in parsley and lemon juice. season with salt and pepper if needed.

OK - the items with asterisks are what I did different.

*I used regular salt
*I made chicken stokc as I had lots of bones in the freezer and needed space
*I cut fresh corn off a cob
*I have no garlic powder
*I just mashed together 4 or 5 sundried tomatoes in their juice

I hope you will try this - the Essence seasoning recipe is on the following page. I made a jar of it to use on other things as it is very very nice.

The lemon juisce and zest really makes it pop - its soooo yummy!

xx

ESSENCE SEASONING BLEND:

Ingredients

• 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 2 tablespoons garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Directions

Combine all ingredients thoroughly.

This makes just enough to fill an empty spice jar. :)

Would be fantastic on roast veggies!

OMG, those sound amazing, I am drooling at the thought. That soup is so on the menu when I can have it, as is the butternut, because I adore butternut soup and I really adore coconut milk. Thinking about it, really looking forward to a thai curry again.

I have downloaded the Scotland pics and will post them tomorrow, along with some new ones of me :) Have first RTM meeting tomorrow so looking forward to getting the rest of my bits and also to the WI to see where I am and if I have lost anything in the last week.

Might attempt the Lemon curd I never made before I left tomorrow, then Wednesday it is back to work, but luckily October did not look too busy, so hopefully it has remained that way and I can have a little me time :)

Jez
xx

Hi ladies!

Hey, quick question - as I am starting to save my jars, what about jars with plastic lids? Are they any good for preserves? My instinct says no, because I would not think you could sterilise the plastic lid? You would have to remove the little cardboard insert of course - but just ondering if I would be better with a wax disck and cellophane? Or jst use them for seed storage, etc? I am really trying to get away from all the bags that are clipped in the cupboard - looks so messy. :D

TOday, I am baking a Nigella cake for my hubby who has been working so hard.

SOunds interesting it is meant to be a Clementine Cake, but I am usuing regular oranges.

You boil the whole oranges for 2 hours, then remove seeds, and then grind the whole orange in a processor - add 6 eggs, copius amounts of caster sugar and ground almonds and bake. I am then going to glaze it with chocolate cause he likes those little orange chocolate things - I keep wanting to call them Jengas - lol - but I know thats not it.''Anyway, looks an interesting recipe.

I have been a bit cheeky and emailing all my 'saved' recipes to work, printing them off and am making myself a cookbook. I have loads of recipes I have copies from cooking shows, and saved from webpages - and now they will all live in my own book. :D

I am doing it on the company, as my way of saying "Thanks a lot for not approving my holiday so while my husband is running around my home town for a month, on our land, with my friends and family and I am stuck here alone, the least you will do is make me a cookbook" :D

BL the cake sounds amazing, you must send me a piccie, I adore chocolate and orange :) Go for the work printing!! I call it payment for all the overtime I never get a cent for!! I must have printed half a ream on Friday - all the stuff off the RTM LL website - shopping lists for every week, thought record pages, food mood pages etc!!! I even put them all in nice little files :) I really really really want to get round to my lemon curd tomorrow. Will see what time I rise from the pit I call bed. But it is every so pretty and girly and sweet smelling. I got into the habit of spritzing with linen spray in the evening before bed and turning down the covers nicely - I pretend im in my own little hotel <G> Speaking of such, I am heading that wy now, catch you on the flipside!

Jez
xx

BL the cake sounds amazing, you must send me a piccie, I adore chocolate and orange :) xx

Jezz, in one word - HEAVEN. It is absolutely wickedly gorgeous - nices cake I have ever made to be honest. And so so easy!!! BUt, you will see by the photo I did not use enough butter on the pan, and it tore coming out so while it doesnt look nice, it tastes insanely lush. I had a bit of hubbys - then thought sod it, and had a sliver myself. He went back for more. Little piggy! :D

Next time I will use paper on the sides as well as the bottom.

Really nice for special occasssions - but too dangerous to have around too often! ;)

Picasa Web Albums - J - Culinary Expl...#

Pics at the end of the album. Have added a few pics since you last saw it too I think.

I am going to have to cut hte cake up and freeze it as it really is too dangerously good to leave about the house! :D

x

So sad

I haven't got time to read this thread properly. I've just skimmed through - some really interesting stuff and lovely foody things going on.
BL, I hope you'll be at LL tomorrow. Wanna come here first?
I'm really busy at the moment finally getting my house sorted, decorating, carpets, garden etc.
It seems to be a symptom after losing weight - generally sorting other stuff.
Off to see my mum today.
Have a lovely day everyone.

Todays bash:

Spicy Curry Veg with Red Lentils and Portobella Mushrooms
1 inch piece of fresh ginger, chopped
½ red chili, chopped fine, leaving in seeds and membrane (remove it too spicy!)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 T Groundnut oil
3 Portobello mushrooms, halved and then sliced
1 yellow onion, coarse chop
2 stalks celery, chunky slices
½ head cauliflower, cut into large chunks
¼ head broccoli, cut into chunks
½ EACH Red, Yellow, Green bell peppers, cut into large chunks
2 carrots cut into large chunks
2 small sweet potato (yams) – peeled and sliced ½ wide
2 tins chopped tomatoes
1 tin chick peas
¾ cup red lentils
½ cup water
Handful of dried currents
1 T heaped, Garam Malasa
1 T heaped, Hot Curry
1 T heaped Essence Spice
1 tsp Smoked Paprika.
3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
1 tin Low Fat Coconut Milk

In wok, heat oil till smoking, quickly stir in ginger, chili and garlic for a moment or two. Add mushrooms and cook for a couple of minutes, and then add onions. Cook for 3 – 4 minutes. Add ingredients, one at a time, giving a good toss in between. Add tinned tomatoes, chick peas, water and spices and thyme. Give a good stir, and transfer to a casserole. Cook on low heat for an hour or two – about 150c – depending how long it takes for veg to cook.
Stir in can of Coconut Milk, and return to oven for 30 minutes.
Remove thyme sprigs and serve with dollop of plain yogurt and chutney, if desired.
Makes a HUGE batch – some can be frozen for another day. Can be served cold in pita bread, or pureed with broth to make soup – can be made into wrpas with rocket and crunchy lettuce, cucumber and chutney, etc. It has become a staple in my kitchen. Any other veg can be used as well. It’s a good “kitchen sink dish. J
Low fat, no salt, very filling – what more could you want!? J

Going to make some Tofu "egg salad" next - makes a great salad topper. OR wrap, etc., for when you can have wraps/pita :)

Sounds divine BL. I am such a fan of curry and the spices are so good for you. The pics of the cake look awesome, I really will have to try it out and have a little nibble when the time is right - or may try it out before then and foist it off onto willing eaters. Can you send me the recipe or is it available on the net? I have really been enjoying looking at Nigellas Xmas book, planning light versions of some of her bits for Xmas this year. I really want to go for different things from the same old, same old we have every year.

Got in 3kg of mixed dried fruit and peel and the glace cherries for the Xmas cake, the mince and the puds. I also have someon who has ordered one from me for his mom, so will be making more than one!! Yay. Finally got the lemon curd done and it looks delicious. Cannot wait to try some one day!!

Hope you have had a fabulous weekend and have a great week ahead.

Jez
xx

Made these today with whatever I had on hand, for some uses during the week....and they turned out rather nice!

Blondes Butter Beans :D

4 or 5 large handfuls dry Butter Beans, soaked at least 6 hours
5 pieces bacon, all fat trimmed, cooked and pressed in paper towel to absorb fat – chop 4 slices, leave one whole
½ onion, chopped
4 or 5 sprigs rosemary, bruised
Lemon zest
Maple Syrup

After soaking, rinse well and cover with plenty of fresh water
Add one whole piece of bacon and rosemary
Bring to a boil and boil hard 7 or 8 minutes
Cover and turn to low, Simmer 20 minutes
Add half of the diced onion, and top up with more water if needed.
Simmer until done and tender – about an hour and a quarter total
Boil hard until most water evaporates.
Remove the bacon slice and discard as no flavor is left.

Stir in chopped bacon, remaining onion, lemon zest and a good slug of maple syrup
Return to simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper if desired

Enjoy as and how you like. Hot, cold, as is, in a salad, whatever strikes you fancy. Should be enough for 4 or 5 meals of some sort!

Back