Weight going up!

gracie83

I really seem to be struggling with Slimming World. I have been a stable 14 stones for nearly 4 years now. Went to first meeting weighed in at 14.0.1/2 stones. I try my best for a week and get on the scales. They are now 14.2.1/2 stones. The woman recording the weight starts congratulating me!!! 'Wonderful weight loss for the first week!!!' I said try reading it again! I have put on two pounds not lost two pounds! She denied this until she came to writing in the book - oh yes you have put on weight! (really felt the personal touch then!).

Then you know you just have the upcoming humiliation of having a room full of strange men and women told that I have put on two pounds! I hate being sugar coated. The leader has just been welcoming the new people 'everyone looses 3 pounds or more in their first week' she gets to me 'not to worry most people put on weight in their first week it takes their body time to get used to it!' Not both of those statements can be true!

I really am starting to dread attending slimming world. It just seems to be so very unprofessional. For example one of the other women also put on a pound so the leader starts clucking about how can we help - woman replies I am a target member! Leader starts staring at her hand held device - oh yes! Sorry could not see that on the screen -well done then!

It really went down hill for me during the first beginner introduction. When she had finished chanting about how wonderful the weight loss was and how I will loose 10 pounds in a few weeks I asked which would be the better color to follow for PCOS. She then said oh well forget what I said earlier. The weight will come off but it will take a long long time. Apparently there is another woman in the group with PCOS who is scrapping 1/2 a pound every few weeks if she is lucky but she cannot tell me who that other woman is for confidentiality reasons. It would be so very useful to speak to another woman with PCOS! She then shrugged and walked off.

I have just given myself a mid week weigh in on my scales at home. They are creeping up to 14.3 stones. I have never been above 14.1 stones!

Sorry this started out as asking for help and turned into a bit of a rant! Am I going to be one of the strange few who actually get to use the money back guarantee!

Some consultants are good and some are not so good. My consultant is ace, texts me all the time, gives me encouragement, answers any questions I have and is always always happy to chat about things. She's NEVER off duty.

I have PCOS and the most i've ever lost in a week is 8lbs, the least has been 0.5lb. I have had more 1lb+ weight losses than I have had 1lb or less losses. Red works better for me than green, I use EE on a weekend, which (mostly) saves me from slipping into eating badly.

I used to be 23 stone, I am around the 14 stone mark at the minute, but because I have slipped this month, I have hovered between 14 stone and 13.11.5 - but have decided to get back on plan and get me as much off as possible before Xmas.

If you want to ever talk about PCOS, please do send me a message or post on here, I will be very happy to talk to you. xx

Hello! I've only been on the forum a couple fo days amd went back to SW at the start of October - firstly, I have to say it doesn't sound as if you Consultant is the most 'people friendly' that they could be! OK, so you've put on a couple of pounds but your body is probably in a bit of shock with the new lifestyle choice you have made and is hanging onto everything for dear life?? I knwo the more experience peeps on here will ask if you're eating all your HEXs, your Syns and drinking enough water - I'm sure they'll also suggest a food diary - something I'm going to start soon! Also, if you want to find out about talking to someone else in class with PCOS why don't you at the next session, if you're happy too, say 'I know it will take me a bit longer to lose weight as I have PCOS, but I'm here for a lifestyle change and would welcome all helpful advice' - I bet you find others are very supportive. Not sure if any of this helps, but stick with it - SW is for life, not just for Christmas!!! :p xxx

I would firstly start looking for another consultant...she sounds terrible and certainly will not help you progress with a weight loss.
Secondly, do you post a diary on here? If we can have a look, we can make suggestions for you to perhaps help.
Your first experience of SW sounds terrible Huni and quite frankly in your shoes I would find it very hard to want to continue. However....we lovely people on here can help you!!!
Yes, some people do experience a gain in their first week, however sticking to plan for 100%, you should see a loss the following week.
Dont give up Hun.

xx

The problem is, I would guess, that some groups are bigger than others. It must be hard for your consultant to keep on track of everybody and I bet she's doing other groups in the area too, I know mine does. My group has approx 30-40 people in it, there's also the evening group and she does a couple of morning and evening groups in the surrounding villages too. Yet she remembers everyone's names and their personal stories. Even what we said we'd done the week before and what they 'said' they were going to do this week.....I can't even remember what I said let alone expect someone else to remember....lol. But she is very very good.

Have a little patience with you consultant, you are new and she's not built up a rapport yet with you. The more you go to group and talk to her the more she'll remember you and your problems.

As for contacting the other lady with PCOS, why don't you let it be known that you have it and would welcome discussing it with anyone else who has it and see if she comes forward. But your consultant is right, she can't divulge who has it, they have to come forward and mention it themselves.

Are you on Metformin or any other meds for your PCOS?

I'm diabetic and was on insulin. Weight loss on insulin is nigh on impossible but look at my stickers. It can be done. Yes it's taken me a little longer than most people and I've fallen off of the wagon a few times from despair, but I get right back on again and carry on losing. I've lost enough to come off the insulin now and just take metformin which is helping me much more in the weight loss. One day I would like to be diabetic meds free.....and why not, it's possible :cool:

You need to keep positive and determined....you WILL do it!!!!!! Don't let the bar stewards grind you down.....lol

:hug99: First week in is always a bit of a trial. You can request that your gain if you have one isn't broadcast to the group , they have a confidentiality policy, so you could do that. Now it IS possible to put weight on your first week. If you've done lots of green then the residue could still be in your system, you could be retaining water, BUT changes will already be taking place.
Are you having all your healthy extras? Don't forget you must weigh them. Are you eating all your syns? You MUST or the body clings on to what it's got for all it's worth! Are you eating enough?Bizarre I know!
Have you done a diary? It's easy to go wrong the first few weeks and tiny mistakes each day can add up. If you post what you eat we''ll check. SW isn't one size fits all, it's like a foreign language, you won't be fluent after the first lesson! PCOS will make it slower for you to use, but you WILL lose weight! And you've got us! SEE! Your lucks changed already ;)

All of this is great advice but when it comes down to it you're the one who loses the weight not your consultant! Give it a bit more time to build a relationship with her as it does take time just like any other relationship and then if you're still not happy then start looking around for another group. And start feeling more positive and proactive, you can do this and you will do it! Attitude and the way you think are just as important as the food you eat!

My slimming world consultant is brilliant. She had a baby last week and is on maternity leave but she still e-mails us every week to see how we are getting on and gives us encouragement:)

Nettie xx

Lots of great advice already but just wanted to add that it could depend what eating plan you were on before starting SW or even just what clothes you were wearing for the weigh in. It's amazing how much a pair of jeans can weigh!

Good luck and most importantly don't give up!

I do know how you feel, I gained the 1st 2 weeks, and am now the same as when I started 5 weeks ago, and I have really stuck to it. i have had a flexi syn day this week, so will probably mean a gain again. I am really wondering if it's worth continuing. But what's the alternative. Eat what I want and gain again?

Lynda

I did slimming world a couple of years ago, and stuck to green days. I didn't lose much either (2lb in 4 months), however this time I have stuck to red days, and have lost weight a lot quicker this time. I have just come to the conclusion that green days don't work for me.

You could try a week of just red days to see if this helps?

HEY hunny, i too have PCOS And i find losing weight so hard, the only way i can lose weight is by low carbing, but i am sticking to slimming world! RED DAYS as these are the best for me and many others, green days just do not do it for me, i gain! I did last time i did slimming world!

My Gyni told me to low carb many moons ago to help with weight loss, i was taing metformin but not for long... It is something to do with the insulin of carbs, sorry i don't know much more than that!

Please don't give up, stick to red days for the rest of the week, you be surprised how much you will lose next week!

Come on here when ever you need support, we are all here for you.. x x

I have PCOS too and only lose anything substantial when i stick to red days, I have lost btween 1 and 5 pounds per week usually 1.5. give your leader a bit of time but if your feeling like giving up give another class a try first.
p.s If i do a green day 2 or 3 days before weigh in i ALWAYS gain.

Another PCOS sufferer here so you're not alone as there seems to be a fair few of us on here. I'm the only person in my group who suffers (or who will talk about it) and although I lost 3lbs in the first week and 1.5lbs for the last two weeks I would of liked to of seen more and have suffered terribly with my hormone levels. Off I went to see a dr about it all this morning who told me " Don't worry too much about the hormone imbalance as you have a lot going on emotionally and you will loose weight". Did you know that a just changing your diet affects PCOS? I didn't, well not straight away anyways (yes when great losses) and that your hormones affect your weight. Seems like swings and round abouts but I think I understand what she was saying now, try to stay positive and calm about the changes you are making as this will help these changes. We're all here for you if you need to chat or rant xxx

Back