Weight watchers for kids

Sam

Banned
Do you think that weight watchers is also a good program for small kids? My sun has lunch at school every day. I wouldn't say that he is overweight, but I also don't want him to become fat. Well, but unfortunately they get lots of unhealthy food at school. Usually he eats something like pizza or french fries. It is really a pity that they don't any healthier food at school...

children need a lot more calories than adults due to them still growing .so no i dont think it would be a good idea but a sensible diet is never a bad thing at any age .to put them on a weight lose diet consult your doctor

I don't think any weightloss diet is suitable for a child, even if they are very overweight. That doesn't mean they can continue to eat high calorie food, but instead encouraging healthy foods, education, more exercise. Please try not to make an issue of it. Don't even mention weight, just that this and that will make them feel fit and strong.

The longer you can leave that 'first diet' the better.

Maybe time to clear out those cupboards and keep lots of fruit and veg around the house. Not to ban the unhealthy foods, just to make them less easily obtainable. Never to treat unhealthy foods as a treat or reward, but changing the whole mindset.

"how about us making a lovely fruit salad together as soon as you've finished your homework";) "hey...lets have a veg and dip party tomorrow". That kind of thing.

If you can attach happy feelings to healthy foods, so they look on them in a positive light, then you'll help them with their weight forever more.

I dont think WW actually allow anyone to officially follow the diet til theyre about 16.

Id agree with KD if youre concerned, gradually introduce more healthy things in his diet :)

my daughter is about 8 stone and shes 10.She really sneaks food.It does concern me xx

Any chance of making it less obtainable?

You know....when I was a kiddo:sigh::D sweets, crisps and biscuits were for special occassions only. Not saying I agree with that either, but I remember we only had crisps on Christmas Day. One biscuit on a Sunday. We didn't have the variety of those individual choc biscuits that we have today, but I remember that we were allowed to get a jamboree bag which contained a very few sweets and a sticker, when Auntie came visiting. She used to also give us one fox's glacier mint and a tube of smarties. So, maybe once a month.

These days, it's almost considered cruelty if children don't get their fix of high salt/unhealthy fats, at least once or twice a day.

They can survive quite happily without it :D

It really mustn't be banned, because that will make them want it more....just not there;)

Instead, as I said earlier, lots of positive 'atmosphere' around the healthy stuff.

My sons and I used to have a special time in the day (usually not long before bed), where we'd make a fruit salad together. To this day, DS2 still likes us to have this time. Fruit is something he now enjoys (though he hated it as a toddler). Hopefully, I've made it a ritual;)

It was so important to me that I got this whole food business right with the boys, and I'm pleased to report that DS2 will now ask me if I mind buying him a small carton of milk when he fancies something during the day. DS1 isn't interested in sweets. DS2 has always loved them, but it's not something that he thinks to buy :clap:

Sorry to go on, but it is important. I may have been lucky with my lads, but I like to think that something I've done has lessoned the chance of them having food issues in the future :)

My nieces are like most kids and wouldnt say no to sweets at any time but eat a lot of fruit/veggies.

A lot of the time its made fun for them. Emma loves her grandpa to make her a 'flower' which consists of a side plate full of fruit etc arranged to look like a flower. She adores carrot sticks etc but I think thats because its all been actively encouraged by her parents. She would now usually prefer to have fruit or a breadstick as a snack & the association of sweets and chocolate is theyre a treat :)

So it sounds like you wouldn't advise kids to do the weight watchers program. Well but actually my son eats quite healthy food at home. But the problem is that he usually eats at school and that is where he gets lots of fast food. But maybe the first step is too talk to him (although I think he doesn't really want to aviod fast food).

I think a lot of it is a mindset thing too. IF you feel hes a bit overweight encouraging him to eat healthily will have the same effect as being on a diet without the pressure. Kids have enough time to worry about things like that when theyre older. Id never want to let a child know I thought they needed to diet, you can almost do it sneakily without them realising ;)

i just dont no what to do with the sneaking,i do hide stuff.When im in a different room i can hear noises like a little mouse xx

Yeah at home this won't be a problem I think. I prepare quite healthy food I would say-for example when he wants to have a snack while he is watching tv I prepare something like fruit salat. And he also likes it and doesn't miss the sweets. But what about the whole lunch thing. I really don't know how to deal with it.

i get worried about my daughter as she sneaks food,i find it so difficult to controlxx:sigh:

As a child I used food as an emotional support for the problems I was having. Maybe have a chat with her to see if there are any underlying factors.

Yeah at home this won't be a problem I think. I prepare quite healthy food I would say-for example when he wants to have a snack while he is watching tv I prepare something like fruit salat. And he also likes it and doesn't miss the sweets. But what about the whole lunch thing. I really don't know how to deal with it.

Can he take a packed lunch? That way you could monitor what hes having and include things like fruit salad.

yeah i find wrappers,shes 10 on the 17th of dec and a 30 waist and 8 and half stone,shes so gorgeous.
My husband is always on bout it and it does my head in .I really try my best xx

Back