What made you start slimming world?

chlobo

Hi guys,

I was talking to my mum (another SW convert!) about what made us want to start Slimming World and our "Right I really have to do something about my weight" turning point. Mine was a few months ago I was on the tube and a bunch of lads started shouting "Weyy fatty" "piggy piggy piggy" and making pig noises at me in a carriage on my own.

It's a shame something like that had to be my turning point but it was. I'd love to know what made everyone else start? :)

Originally in 2011 it was a picture of myself receiving an award on behalf of my company (it's in the inspirational photos thread). I lost 5 st then, have put some back on since, now back at SW to lose it again and hopefully more :)

Originally in 2011 it was a picture of myself receiving an award on behalf of my company (it's in the inspirational photos thread). I lost 5 st then, have put some back on since, now back at SW to lose it again and hopefully more :)

Pictures are the absolute worst for me, I've untagged half my facebook pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

I never had any facebook photos on there of myself at my heaviest. I hated having my photo taken and didn't really go out, so fortunately there were limited opportunities for other people to take any photos of me they could post!

Mine was my doctor telling me that I'd have trouble conceiving in the near future, I was devastated but as bad as it was, it was the wake up call I needed. :)

It was when i went to try on wedding dresses and i found out the shops that my mum took me to she'd phoned them first to make sure they had some dresses that i would fit into! So in the 9months before the wedding i lost 3.5stone and fit into a size 10 dress on the day! Since iv had a child and put on 1.5stone but now back trying to lose that!

My joining slimming world wasn't the start of my weight loss. I saw a photo from my graduation which on the day I thought I looked really good but looking back on then a month later I was shocked.
I spent two months trying it on my own (losing half a stone) but not really enjoying it or sticking to it. I decided to join a group and it so happened when I was looking there was free joining voucher in a magazine :)

Hi guys,

I was talking to my mum (another SW convert!) about what made us want to start Slimming World and our "Right I really have to do something about my weight" turning point. Mine was a few months ago I was on the tube and a bunch of lads started shouting "Weyy fatty" "piggy piggy piggy" and making pig noises at me in a carriage on my own.

It's a shame something like that had to be my turning point but it was. I'd love to know what made everyone else start? :)

That's disgusting behavior and reflects on them far more then you. I bet you were just as gorgeous at your heaviest!

Mine was at a weight loss seminar in loughlinstown hospital with people who were too large to stand. Every person in that room said they had knee and back pain which I also suffer from. We all had the same problems with gradual weight gain and I just thought if I don't do something now it'll be me on oxygen due to my weight.

I need to lose weight to keep up with my grandsons especially my youngest who is 10 months, I had him over Christmas while my eldest grandson was in hospital and I realised how unfit I was time to change no excuse

i buy the shopping, I cook the meals and I eat the food - so now time to take control of myself

it is working just keep thinking about how good I feel in two weeks I have lost 10.5lbs and eaten so well and hubby has lost a stone

name calling is not good it shows that they have limited communication skills and ignorance of other people's feelings
this weigh loss journey must be for yourself, never to please someone else

good luck everyone

That's disgusting behavior and reflects on them far more then you. I bet you were just as gorgeous at your heaviest!

Even at my heaviest I never thought I stuck out like a sore thumb fat, I just carried a bit extra and carried a lot in my face. I cried all the way home, it was humiliating!

Mine was having to see a cardiologist after suffering from terrifying irregular heart beats and palpitations. I really did think I was having a heart attack, and of course the cardiologist said with my family history I needed to lose the weight or follow down the same path as my family members with heart disease. % stones lighter, my heart has returned to normal, my BP and cholesterol has also returned to normal. I am fit, healthy, and loving being slim.

i started my weight loss in 2013 by joining a gym it was my new years resolution. I wanted to loose a stone or so i thought. i started at 14st 4. I could feel myself getting bigger and bigger and I was becoming stuck in a rut of eating dirt with little if hardly any excerise. The Gym was great for 7 months losing a stone and a half then I got bored so left ...... bad idea half a stone came bk on nt straight away but after a few months so back to the gym again where i lost the half stone again but If i looked at another chicken breast I was going to vommit. my gym instructor had me on a high protein diet. Friends had been telling me about SW for ages. finally looked into it and after researching everything about it i said here ill give it ago and in a month Ive lost 8 pound with little or no effort and feeling stuffed every day. I didnt do it for two weeks because it was Christmas. .. but i now cringe at some photos of me two yrs ago. total loss to date is 2stone 3pound. I have much more confidence but defo wanna loose another 2 stone dont really have a time frame but one stone must be gone by may as I have a family wedding then .

I think for me I basically just reached breaking point after repeatedly catching sight of myself in the mirror and in photos on Facebook and hating what I saw. I was the heaviest I'd ever been and knew I had to sort myself out before I ended up so engrained in my habits it would be too hard to change. Also I wanted to get fit and better at running, so losing weight would definitely make that easier!!

I'm just over a stone down so far and can already see the benefits :)

Mine has been my husband saying he's ready for us to have a baby :) I don't mind being fat, but I've always sworn I'd be close to a healthy weight before having a baby. So here I am! Aiming for 6.5st by September!

Sheepy we should buddy up, I want to lose 6 stone before September because my other half said he's ready for a baby too!! I also swore to myself I'd be close to a healthy weight when I conceive! Snap! Lol

I first went to support my OH, he was told if he didn't lose weight he would be dead within a few years. He started the process of having gastric surgery but it scared him and he backed out. So I looked around for another way for him to lose weight he had tried prescription tablets and they hadn't worked and he tried WW and that didn't work so we picked SW but he wouldn't go alone so I agreed to go with him as I was over weight as well. As well as that I was at high risk of developing diabetes as I had it when I was pregnant with my 2nd son.
I have always had a physical job so never thought about my weight as it never stopped me doing what I wanted but looking back I realise I wasn't as confident as I thought and used to hide behind the bar now I'm much happier with myself and feel a lot better and I am more active now.
My OH has lost nearly 5 stone and his health has improved massively, his blood sugars are the lowest they've ever been, his blood pressure has drastically reduced, his kidney functions have improved and the diabetic foot ulcer he has had for 4 years is actually healing instead of getting worse.
I am now in target, very happy with the weight I am at and the way I look, so glad I went along for the support x

I first went to support my OH, he was told if he didn't lose weight he would be dead within a few years. He started the process of having gastric surgery but it scared him and he backed out. So I looked around for another way for him to lose weight he had tried prescription tablets and they hadn't worked and he tried WW and that didn't work so we picked SW but he wouldn't go alone so I agreed to go with him as I was over weight as well. As well as that I was at high risk of developing diabetes as I had it when I was pregnant with my 2nd son.
I have always had a physical job so never thought about my weight as it never stopped me doing what I wanted but looking back I realise I wasn't as confident as I thought and used to hide behind the bar now I'm much happier with myself and feel a lot better and I am more active now.
My OH has lost nearly 5 stone and his health has improved massively, his blood sugars are the lowest they've ever been, his blood pressure has drastically reduced, his kidney functions have improved and the diabetic foot ulcer he has had for 4 years is actually healing instead of getting worse.
I am now in target, very happy with the weight I am at and the way I look, so glad I went along for the support x

That's fantastic. I hope you have a happy healthy life together x

I originally started back in June and was there for a month and a half and lost just over a stone, then gave it up just due to life etc and while I gave it up and put on another 2 stone, my boyfriend lost about 3-4 stone just through work (he now works in kwik fit) and was throwing tyres about all day, it was seeing me next to his slim figure just made me more and more upset so I got myself back to class.
He never ever had a problem with my weight, I've never been thin with him but as he got thinner I just kept seeing myself as bigger and bigger.

And because we are currently in a long distance relationship it was more prominent with him because I was only seeing him about once a month!

I had a late miscarriage over Christmas due to sepsis. So I thought I was going to join once I gave birth and technically I had, so I kept my word and hopefully it will help me conceive my rainbow baby quicker.

Back