Why are you on slimming world? answers here please.

I joined because I couldn't stand seeing myself in the mirror anymore, and every year I was getting bigger and bigger. I started out last September at around 19 stones, but after about 6 weeks I stopped going when I lost my job. Throughout the past couple of months I have felt so guilty for putting weight back on, and it made me feel even worse than I did before. So I made a pledge to myself to get to my target this year.

Before I got married in 2009, I lived with my family and the negative environment just kept making me feel worse and worse about myself. As I got older my dress size got bigger, the more I was ridiculed and made to feel ashamed about the way I looked. I felt worthless, and horrible about myself and took comfort in food. I had tried dieting, exercising, everything I could but I always ended up giving up because I didn't believe that I could lose the weight. After I got married, the love and support I have received from my husband has encouraged me to be stronger, more positive and make the changes I want. I don't want to be forever limiting myself to clothes from 1 store, or hiding behind big clothes or avoid social occasions. I want to be the woman I know I am inside and regain my confidence and self esteem. I want to have children some day and be a fit and healthy mother to them. I joined SW because I saw my friend who has had much more weight to lose also join SW last year and has had a significant weight loss each month...and I think if she can do it then so can I!

I joined for a number of reasons.

The main one is that I have been yo-yo dieting for 18 months, trying loads of different things and getting nowhere. And as a reaction to the diets being so limited I have fallen off the wagon so many times and ended up 21lbs heavier than I was when I started dieting! I have lost all the weight once before with WW but I found it so restrictive and craved normality which SW has given me. No counting points, no foods are banned, everything in moderation - its sustainable over the long term which is amazing.

The other reason is that I have a load of clothes in my wardrobe that don't fit any more. I really don't want to buy any new ones so I live in clothes that either cut me in half or the few size up's I had left over from the last time I was this overweight. It's so depressing when I want to go out or look good, I can never find anything to wear.

I also just hate feeling this way about myself. My reflection makes me so upset, I can barely look at myself in the mirror. Photos? Forget it. The ones taken of me at xmas made me cry. I've now vowed to stay behind the camera until I have lost more weight!

Onwards and downwards. I am going to do it :)

I joined sw as I was fed up dieting, losing weight, getting to target, thinking I'd finally cracked it then going straight back to my old habits and then putting on more weight than I lost in the first place!

That's the main reason but it doesnt explain the emotions that came with all this ie the shame, frustration, guilt and really utter despair. As a mum of 4 kids (3 girls) I knew that I was passing on my habits to my beautiful kids and they dont deserve that at all. So sw for me is a new way of life, its not denying me food rather its showing me the way to cook and eat healthily that all the family can enjoy.

Thanks for starting such a great thread everyones answers on here are obviously heartfelt and that is motivating in itself

I do slimming world because I want to be healthier, more confident with my weight and alo to look dam hot in a wedding dress aug2012!! xx

Cannot believe how many replies have been to my thread, thank you everyone. I have enjoyed reading over these posts makes me think that we all are going to get there to our dreams and goals, and well done to those who have reached their targets aswell.

So inspiring and keeping me motivated.

xx

I joined SW because I am fed up of feeling uncomfortable, fat and ugly and it effects my relationship. I don't want to be the fat mum in the play ground and I want to be healthy for my children.
SW is great as there is no weighing involved and it's so flexible... also great for work as its easy to grab something where ever i am and the foods i can eat dont make me feel i am on a 'diet'.
I have done SW before but put the weight back on but i have got myself in a state of feeling so unhappy with myself and now its time to stop feeling sorry for myself and just do it!

ive joined slimming world because i feel unhealthy it hurts to bend down and i get out of breath i want to look good in the mirror and fit in a pair of skinny jeans instead of leggings and long baggy jumpers which i'm now wearing cos i dont want to buy a bigger size trouser.

I've joined slimming world because i want to start living, instead of just existing and wasting away my life at home scared to face the world while im fat!

Back